Half Marathon Trainers

When do Tempo Runs come into play? (Read 241 times)

Another Question..... so My training plan has me doing a 2 mile run with an option to cross train on Wednesdays. I like the run Idea better, as I am a believer that you will HTFU alot faster if you just run a little more. I am around 15 miles a week, and wonder if it is too soon for a Tempo Pace to be thrown in for the 2 miles? Mind you that My tempo pace is a mere 10:20 minute mile.... I am in Week 4 of the training plan. Thanks for any advice~ Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

RunCheffyRun, I think that if the plan gives you a option to cross train that it is intended to be a recovery day, so you don't want to do a tempo run on that day. My suggestion would be to build up to 22-24 miles a week before thinking about tempo runs. In the meantime do a few fartleks, run tempo pace for 30-45 seconds 3 or 4 times during a run once a week. It's too soon to be concerned about speed. Trust the plan or find another because too much too soon will probably get you injuried.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hannibal Granite

RunCheffyRun, I think that if the plan gives you a option to cross train that it is intended to be a recovery day, so you don't want to do a tempo run on that day. My suggestion would be to build up to 22-24 miles a week before thinking about tempo runs. In the meantime do a few fartleks, run tempo pace for 30-45 seconds 3 or 4 times during a run once a week. It's too soon to be concerned about speed. Trust the plan or find another because too much too soon will probably get you injuried.
        Ditto

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Prince of Fatness

Double ditto, and I'll add once you get up to your 22-24 miles, run 2-3 weeks at that mileage first before adding the tempo runs. Let your body acclimate to the mileage. Also don't forget warm up and cool down when doing the tempos (10-15 minutes easy / recovery pace).

Not at it at all. 

SWEET..... Thanks my running Coaches! Wink ( Cheffy breathes a huge sigh of relief at this point....more relaxing runs it is....) Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"