Half Marathon Trainers

Welcome to 2013! January Thread! (Read 321 times)

kimbur96

New here. I am signed up for my first HM in April. I just started running in October. I did a 5k mud run and couldn't even run the first mile, but had a great time. It motivated me to start running so I could do better at the mud runs. The running lead to my first 5k road race on thanksgiving and 8 more mud runs varying from 3-6 miles. I have a Tough Mudder coming up its an  11 mile obstacle race. So all this has lead

Me to set my sites on a HM the end of April. I picked one in NYC as its much cooler in Aptil than FL where I live and I can see a few friends while I am

There.

Look forward to reading learning and sharing the journey.

daneda

Last week was a step-down week for me and now I'm back up to the higher milage building this week.  Took advantage of yesterday's holiday to get a nice 6mile trail run in.  Today's weather brought some cold temps this evening! Still got a quick 4 miles done and got to break in a new pair of gloves!

Welcom kimbur and best of luck with the training Smile

hog4life

I need some guidance for using the TM incline.   I've only done this  a couple of times, so I'm starting at just 2%.  But what pace should I do the incline interval at?  5k, HM??

And for walking between the intervals, should I keep the incline, or go back to 0%.

Thanks !!!!

Jerry, some TM's have a hill work out. I used to select that at level 5-9, it would vary the incline as you went along. Try to hold a pace(start easy), and increase or decrease as you need. If you can hold a slow jog instead of walk, that will help with your endurance. The other suggestion I have is to just mix it up, some hard, some easy, some steep, some not so steep. if you can find the elevation chart for your upcoming half, try to "practice" like the course is laid out. If you have a big hill at mile 7, then practice running a big hill after 6 miles. I am no expert, but that is the strategy I used for my hilly races, and it works pretty well, or at least it did for me.

Kimbur, welcome, this is a wonderful group of people here.

I did 5 miles tonight at 9:14 pace with some fartleks/pickups in the 7:30-8:00 range. I think my rib cage and lung is feeling better, finally!  DW picked up my antibiotics today to start treatment for the fungus. Retail was $477, thank goodness for insurance and generic drugs, it cost me $14.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Looks like about 3 hills for the knoxville HM, about 100 feet each.  Whose idea was this anyway?  Shocked

Can't tell the incline though.  Have our work cut out for us.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Evening, Half Marathoners!

Haven't visited the thread in a while. Training's been going OK, though that rainy week last week, along with working 6 12-hour shifts in a row this week (and buying a car in between) has taken a little away from my quality run time. Yes, I've been getting some runs in, but no long run and no really vigorous interval run for a while.

Hoping to go somewhat long tomorrow, maybe 8 or 9 miles if I can squeeze it in. Working my last night shift now (yes, I'm peeking in on the forum while I take a break), then I'm off until 0500 hrs Monday  morning. Should be able to get a couple of quality runs in, and some good rest.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

kimbur96

Yesterday was a SRD. Tonight was 3.5 miles.I have been really trying to not think about pace at all and just get the miles in. It is slowly sinking in that I am an infant in the running scene and need to just run. Not over think it, not worry about pace, just run.

hog4life

Jerry, I looked at the elevation and it really doesn't seem too bad. One of them was about 100', but over a mile, so that will be very gradual. Another one was 100' over maybe 1/4 mile, this one will be steep, but short. Do you have any hills in your area to run on? Maybe like an overpass? I think if you do some of the hill work outs that I mentioned on the TM, you should be okay.

Kimbur, when I started back running after my colon cancer surgery, I took the same approach about not worrying about pace. I felt really good as my base was building back up.

I did a pretty good tempo run tonight of 8.11 miles with the middle 6 from 8:15-8:45. My target was 8:40, so I was very happy to see the results when I loaded the Garmin data. I don't want to jinx myself just yet, but this training cycle is going better than any of the others, so I should have a good half on Feb 17th.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We live right by an expressway bridge.  It's about a 10 foot elevation, so 10 reps and I'll have that 100' climb.  Treadhill for the next week anyway..

Jerry, I looked at the elevation and it really doesn't seem too bad. One of them was about 100', but over a mile, so that will be very gradual. Another one was 100' over maybe 1/4 mile, this one will be steep, but short. Do you have any hills in your area to run on? Maybe like an overpass? I think if you do some of the hill work outs that I mentioned on the TM, you should be okay.

Kimbur, when I started back running after my colon cancer surgery, I took the same approach about not worrying about pace. I felt really good as my base was building back up.

I did a pretty good tempo run tonight of 8.11 miles with the middle 6 from 8:15-8:45. My target was 8:40, so I was very happy to see the results when I loaded the Garmin data. I don't want to jinx myself just yet, but this training cycle is going better than any of the others, so I should have a good half on Feb 17th.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Super busy week so sorry for being so absent.

Running this week included no taper and it went well.  Can't wait til Sunday.  Packet pickup for marathon # 12 done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Tom - Hope you got a good run in!

D- Good luck on Sunday!

I did my 10 mile LR tonight and everything felt good.  I had to work very hard to make myself go slowly for the first few miles, and finished strong with the last two.  If my easy run goes well this weekend, then next week I move up to 11 miles, I think.

Good luck on Sunday Damaris!

Too cold to venture outside , 6.7 on the TM last night and 2.25 tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Just did my longest run ever of 15.04 miles. It will also be a PB for a week of 45.19. This completes week 7 of the 10 week plan, and providing no major setbacks over the next 3 weeks, I should have a strong half come Feb 17th.

Prolly late, but good luck Damaris!

10 miles on a nice and warm TM this morning.

Way to go on the run Mitch!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

25 mile week, but no long run.  Maybe when its 60 on Tuesday.