Half Marathon Trainers

I placed 313th (Read 518 times)

jules2

Yesterday ran the Flora Half Marathon at Silverstone racetrack, up until a few weeks ago I was hoping for a PB, currently 1:29:25 in my second ever half. But I have been troubled by the hamstring in my right thigh and hardly ran, although I have been able to keep cycling which is no bad thing as I have the National Duathlon Championships soon! Last week I only did two short runs both of which were curtailed by the injury so moral was not high. I considered scratching but as I was taking my chum Paulo I thought I would go and see if I could run round with him. But on the day I warmed up a bit ( not as much as usual ) and headed for the 1:30 to 1:40 pen. Met Nev a fellow member of the RA UK Runners forum which was nice but brief, I'm gradually meeting other members and as many as possible are running a 10K in Oxford in May which is the advantage of living in what for most of you is a small country.. As I stood and waited for the first time ever I seriously thought that I might not finish. Anyway off we went and I hit the first mile in 6:40 so yet again my youthful enthusiasm had taken over and I had started too quickly. Next mile 6:50 then all the others around 7:00 the slowest mile being 7:10, if you want the details its in my training log. I don't think I have never run such a well paced race. I used my new Sportcount which is basically a tiny stopwatch that fits on your finger, its a work of genius. By mile 8 my buttock had started to stiffen but just at that time the 7:00 mile pacer came by me so I gritted my teeth and like a rat after the Pied Piper followed him into the distance. How the f*** anyone can run at that pace holding a pace flag is a complete mystery to me. After mile 12 a guy just in front bent double and collapsed on the grass but I had problems of my own as the pacer was slowly drifting away, crossed the line in 1:31:46 and the first thing I did was take my shoes off. I'd worn my racing flats and my toes felt like they'd been run over by a tank I also had a large blister on my heel, so I walked in my socks back to pick up my goody bag and belongings. Picked up Paulo and we drove home, it was only when we got there that I discovered I had come 313 out of over 6700 but 1st in my age class ( over 55 ). What makes this so ironic is that I have twice come 2nd and once 3rd and both second places had quicker times. One year had my birthday been a week earlier I would have won the next age class up I blamed my mother and she said she wished I'd never been born let alone born earlier. So I didn't think I'd finish and ended up winning what I have failed to win three times before. Today I'm stiff and my feet are battered but I begining to think that my trainers are too soft and padded and allow my feet / ankle to move which creates problems further up my leg? I now have a month until my next half which is on a pan flat course and another month before my key half on the year so assuming I have shaken off my injury a PB could well be on the way. My oldest daughter just said so its a sub three hour marathon next isn't it.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Congratulations sounds like it was a tough one, but despite the blisters and everything else you fought it off. Must feel great to be #1

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Lu481

Congrats Jules, Even with all the setbacks you still came out #1... Way to go! Lu
        Ringmaster

Jules, you don't run, you fly . . . What a great race report! Thanks so much for telling us that great story .. .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

We now know you inherited your sense of humour from your Mum! Great race report, great race! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Jules! That's a big AG to win! I hope you're still celebrating.

Prince of Fatness

You sure write some entertaining reports. Congrats on the AG win.

Not at it at all. 

jules2

Great job, Jules! That's a big AG to win! I hope you're still celebrating.
                  Thank you all, I hope this year you all share an experience like mine as it makes it all worthwhile, I might be celebrating but my legs are so sore I still can't run! If you are really brave here is a link to the photo's http://www.marathonfoto.com/order_assigned_photos.cfm?BFI=gx2mcmahuk&OID=19802009W2&BibNumber=4241&CustomerNumber=T46R25&Currency=GBP&Language=en

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good photos! It's nice to put a face to your name. Well, I'll never win an AG unless I'm still running at 95, but I can live vicariously through my son! Smile I hope you feel like running soon, Jules!
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Huh, Jules, I just saw your post (I'm a swamp lurker and proud of it): We haven't got enough space to run those kind of distances in the UK, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Couldn't you just run around Hyde Park over and over again?? Wink (sorry, couldn't resist)

jules2

As long as I make someone smile everyday it makes life worthwhile and as to the suggestion about Hyde Park the answer is no as I'd get dizzy. When I work in London I stay with my oldest daughter and she lives near Hyde Park so I do get the chance to run round it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I was just surprised I managed to get LOST in HP, lol. There are so many paths! That's neat your daugter lives near there.

jules2

I was just surprised I managed to get LOST in HP, lol. There are so many paths! That's neat your daugter lives near there.
                            Did you see the Household Cavalry? they often pass by and they have a dressage ring in the park. Theres a really nice cafe on the bank of the Serpentine I often use. Despite having me as a father my oldest has worked hard become successful in her own right, married a lovely Italian and lives in Kensington I have an old estate car they have a Rolls Royce, Ferrari and Audi TT. Unlike most parents I walk round thinking where did I go right?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, you DID do something right! That's great. Oh, is that who we saw riding around? We took a few photos of them, but had no idea what it was about. DD was thrilled. We stopped in the cafe briefly, because she needed a bathroom badly! My mom made two Shutterfly albums (hard copies) of our trip to London and Africa. One was made up of photos taken by all 4 of us, and the second was mainly ones that my daughter took. We just got that one today, and she loves it. If she doesn't manage to lose it, she will treasure it forever.