Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Dec 1 & 2 (Read 269 times)

an amazing likeness

Here in New England, temps have taken a dive and the first snows of the season are becoming more common. Both morning and evening runs are fighting the short days, but being lit by the holiday directions sprouting in homes along the way. All signs that our 2012 calendar is nearing the end.

Two races on tap this weekend. Vegefrog is putting her marathon taper energy on the line in a 5K...behind the scenes we're all nagging her to keep the real goal in mind and to rein in the reindeer and jog it home. Going to be an easy race, the reward for 16 weeks of focused training.

I'll be heading south to the land of US Naval Academy cadets and crab cakes for the Annapolis Half which has a starting time of 7:00AM Saturday. Uggh, I can't recall the last time I went for a run at 7AM...I'm a night time runner. This will end my 2012 journey or running at least one half marathon each month. It will feel good to be done, it's time to move on.

Dec 1 MilkTruck Annapolis Half 13.1 mi Annapolis, MD
    Dec 1 vegefrog Reindeer 5K 5K Charleston, SC

As always, sending best wishes for Good luck and fleet feet to our racers. Go hard when they fire the gun..don't stop 'till someone offers you a water, medal or space blanket.

Meanwhile for all our trainers working towards next week's races...remember now is not the time to try and stuff in last minute overloads, better to show up fresh and undertrained than sore and tired.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck MilkTruck and vegefrog! I can't wait to hear how both races went. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Andy - Awesome accomplishment mate - have a good run.

Vege - you know.

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Here's to great races for both of you.

I've got the SantaShuffle 5k tomorrow. I'm not sure it'll be great conditions (freezing rain likely today) on top of the snow we already have. I think it'll be a fun run, but not a PR. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

Have fun Meg! I hope you are dressing up! I put jingle bells on my racing flats last night.  My husband was like "doesn't that ADD weight and sort of defeat the purpose?". LOL, I don't think they weigh THAT much Wink

Andy do work! Have a great race! What an amazing year you have had!

I am going to keep all of your little voices on my shoulder as I toe the line tomorrow and will try to have a nice, steady, even race...I'm almost thinking of getting myself wasted tonight so I will be too hungover to even THINK about racing it, hahahaha.  

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Good luck!!!

Vegefrog, have you considered doing it as a MP run so you have a specific pace in mind and aren't tempted to push it too hard? Although...getting wasted would help too. Smile

vegefrog

Flippy...I know that I SHOULD do something like that Wink

I considered it...in FACT I ran the Turkey Day Trot 5K last week with a friend in 34 minutes which was a very comfortable pace for me and it was really fun seeing everyone all dressed up and taking in the sights.

I just...I just...want to RACE!!!!!!!! I'm saving it....I'll be good tomorrow. I promise. I will do a 24 minute 5K. No faster.

HappyFeat

Fleet feet to MT, Vege, and Meg. Hope you all enjoy yourselves!

Ugh is right, MT. 7 am is just way too early! 

I'll be trail running again tomorrow, something around 10 miles. The current downpour is supposed to taper off in the morning - hopefully before I get going.  But I have an available running buddy, so I can't pass up the opportunity! Matt, one of these days, you gotta get out on a trail run. You feel so free and unencumbered out there.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

There's  7 o'clock in the morning too? Who would have guessed?

It's hard to hold back at a race, I did that in a half marathon that was 2 weeks before a 10k I really wanted to PB, but after  about 10 miles I could not hold back any more.

The hangover ploy might work, but you might just stay in bed.

HF you are really doing well with the trail running, 10 miles of trails is a long run in my book! Good job!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, after an icy run, I have a shiny medal that looks like a Santa hat, a Lindt Advent calendar, a Salvation Army Christmas CD and a new PR. My last PR for a 5k, I didn't wear a watch so the time was a real guess (started at this time, finished at this time on a regular watch, no stopwatch.)  This time I took my Garmin and was under 32 minutes! Yay! I wasn't expecting a PR and I only looked at my watch once the whole race. Smile

VF, I wore a Santa hat with bells on it. Once I get my pictures off my camera, I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see. The pom pom of my hat with the bells hung down to my shoulder blades so with ever step I could hear the bells. There were a fair number of costumed people. My kids came with me, both with bells to ring at the start. Next year I think I'll take them and do the 1K. (My kids are 5 and 8.) The youngest runner with a bib was 2 months; she had the bib pinned under the straps in the stroller. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

on a trail run. You feel so free and unencumbered out there.

Well I certainly felt unencumbered today  - not wearing the rain jacket I should have been! Total downpour after about a mile into it. It wasn't so bad running, but the 30-minute drive home in waterlogged clothes was not something I care to repeat. Despite the rain, the trail was great and the forest had an enchanting look to it all green and misty. My legs felt fatigued from the start, so I just ran a comfortable pace and was glad I had chosen a shorter "long run" for today. 

Congratulations on your 5K PB, Meg! That's super! Yes, we want to see a pic!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Course was short by a good amount. I'm not saying the course isn't legit - but what they had us run was screwed up or something. I'll need to update this after uploading data frommy garmin..but all I chatted with in finish area had some version of short course. 

Posted a 1:39:20 or so. More to come tomorrow pm, battery is gone on iPad.

MTA:  Way to go Meg!!! Nice running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Taper FAIL.

21:37.

I. Am. Amazing Smile

It felt great guys...no injuries, no soreness...I don't think I put myself in any danger of having a poor race next weekend by racing today.

Only SAD thing...I got 4th in my AG Sad It's a HUGE race, they give $$$$$ so people come from out of town. Oh well...maybe next year Wink

vegefrog

YAY MEG! PR's all around Smile Show us the pic!

HF that trail run sounds magical....

Andy, sounds like a good race, short or not, a 1:39 is AWESOME!

Zelanie

Congrats to milktruck and vegefrog!