Half Marathon Trainers

Training mileage this year/last year? (Read 413 times)

Hi Teresa, I seen that your son has looked at Grove City College, it's a very fine school. I'm about 35 miles away but my parents both grew up near there & I still have about 20 cousins in the area. We get over to the outlet shops there 2 or 3 times a year. Not many distractions in Grove City lots of Amish outside of town, not a party school... Good luck on the college search...
    Oh yeah, that's another thing about UCONN, it is a "BIG" party school.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, thanks again for your thoughts. They're very helpful! NEs are at Reggie Lewis in Boston. I think his 4x800 relay team will also be running nationals at Reggie Lewis the middle of March. Well, the Grove City coach seemed a little flaky to me. They don't run indoor track, so he's also the basketball coach. I just posted about this on the general boards. Instead of giving the runners a pace to hit for training, he tells them to go "3/3," meaning 3 steps per inhalation and 3 steps per exhalation. Seems kind of weird. The school didn't really stand out to us, so I don't think we'll consider it further, anyway. The school we really liked was Susquehanna. Wonderful campus, friendly people, and a good track/XC program. Their indoor track is beautiful - two walls entirely made out of glass, so you feel like you're running outdoors. He needed to run six 800 meter intervals, so the coach said he could do them on the track. A bunch of girls watched him and couldn't believe he could run so fast! It was fun. There is also a new science building under construction that would be ready when he starts his freshman year. Since he's thinking of pre-med, he would spend a lot of time there. I think I mentioned that my dad is head of the Men's Intercollegiate Athletics Council at Texas, and works with the coaches and athletes a lot. He talked to the track coach about Logan. The coach said his times are solid, especially considering the fact that he's from Maine, lol. Maine kids typically have slower times in HS because they can't run outdoors as much. The coach said he could get DS a small scholarship, even, which would be huge, because then Texas would let him pay in-state tuition ($7,000) rather than out-of-state ($24,000). So we would be taking advantage of a connection, but what the heck! DS tends to rise to the occasion, and he'd already told me he'd rather be a small fish in a big pond, because that's how he'll get faster. So who knows what will happen, but it's fun to think about! I'd love him to go to Texas - it's a wonderful school, and all my family is in Austin. And I could visit him! You can tell I have lots swirling around in my head, so thanks for "listening." Oh, I have to say, it was great talking to these coaches and understanding what they were talking about! RA has taught me a lot.
        I just saw and responded to your posting on the other thread. No, I never heard that about your dad before, great to have a connection like that. Based on the response onthe other thread, I guess the 3/3 thing isn't that unusual, but I see it only for the elite like your son, it's not something I'd consider screwing with. Something else you and DS need to consider, whether or not to compte in all three sports? Unlike most sports which are only one semeester (well except for Basketball) which allows students to take their hard courses during the off season, doing all three sports gives one "NO" time. This should also be a consideration for coaches offering a scholarship. Personally $2500 scholarship if he is hoping to have him for all three sports seems a little low. I'll tell you that my son got almost that just for XC and then they gave him housing allowance out of some other scholarship program to help out and give him more incentive to go there. I understand the swirling in your head and they are very tough choices. I didn't agree with my son's choice, but it was his choice. He was miserable being 10+ hrs away from home (and I thought he was tough and could do that part) There were some very dark days his freshman year until he transferred home. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"