Half Marathon Trainers

Summer 2017 (Read 17 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

So what's going on? Any races coming up? In training?

I'm in training now for race weekend in Sept -- two 5ks with my daughter followed by a half on the third day. Training is going pretty well other than today when I had to cut short for lightning. Hoping the rest day is what I needed. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Tiger Rag

Dublin Rock and Roll Half in August. And then it's jut 10ks and parkrun. And then planning stuff for next year.

hog4life

Hey Meg!

I have a HM on Sept 16 that will be a training race for my Oct 22 Marine Corps Marathon. I'll be pushing with Ainsley's Angels for the HM and pushing solo, I'll have a partner or two for the MCM though. My ultimate goal for this year, and that's if I stay healthy as I ramp up the miles, is to do my first 50k on Nov 18!

I was having a very good spring/summer until two weeks ago and just stopped running until yesterday. A poorly timed two weeks, as I'm running SF HM this weekend. But, I've reset my goals and will motor on towards my fall goal of a full marathon!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It has been crazy hot this month which has been a real challenge. Long runs are taking the brunt of it. Hoping I will be ready for my fall races!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Meg, I notice when looking at your log that you live in an incredibly windy place. I get a fair bit of wind here, but I don't think it compares to yours on a consistent basis. Are you able to get away from it at all?

(I've learned to accept wind for the most part, but it bugs me badly when trying to do intervals and it screws with my pacing)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A non-windy day in Saskatchewan is pretty much any day that you have wind less than 20kph. It is very flat here so there really isn't much getting out of the wind and probably why it's so windy. Wind 40 gusting to 60kph is a pain to run in. I've run in worse. I know that 70kph winds just push me around. Pretty much I accept that it's going to make me stronger. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Tiger Rag

Dublin really didn't go to plan. Not helped by the hotel deciding that putting a baby in the room next to me was a brilliant idea. Having slept in a room with a baby, I know they're not the most quiet of things!

Was really hoping for a sub 3 hour half. Managed 3:22:44. That's some 17 minutes off my PB of last year.

Can't really moan - training didn't go to plan one bit and I did spend the week beforehand really tired.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

TR, you finished. Sometimes you have to take that as your win.

You'll have better races! Take a day or two to be disappointed and try to move on. Call this an outlier!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hey guys

I'm going to post this to claim my "blast from the past" award! Smile

Looking back I don't think I've posted here for over 4 years. A quick glance at my log will show you the shameful reason why!

My cautionary tale started with a job change in late 2013 that put me on the road every week (still does) and continued with a couple of kids who love their baseball and play most weekends in spring and fall... cue the plethora of excuses that anyone traversing middle age would need to hang up the running shoes.

I spluttered through a committed half marathon in December 2014 (Dallas) but then the wheels really came off the wagon. December 2016 saw me with 82 miles for the year and +30lbs around my waist! I ran more miles in the first two weeks of October 2011 than I did in all of 2016. This was nobody's fault but mine. You set your own priorities and heading out the door for a run just stopped being one of mine.

That said, when race weight is 200 - 205lbs.....busting through 230lbs on the scale was a bit of a wake up call and I resolved to do better in 2017. As you can see from the log, better has not been consistent but as things stand right now I have not put on any more weight and I have run more miles this year than last - I passed 100 miles today. I have set a goal to run more than 231 miles this year - that will make 2017 my best year, distance wise, for 4 years.

Half marathons have always been my distance. I'm nowhere near at this point, but my goal is to pick the training up so I can put one on the calendar in the spring.

Being part of this forum was always a fun part of my training. RA never left my Home tabs on my internet browser - a constant guilty reminder of what I should have been doing! Smile

So now I'm putting my log-shame behind me and posting here anyway!

TR - Well done on finishing the race. Like Meg says; sometimes that's the goal.

Meg - 1 week until the Trifecta? Training log looks amazing. All set?

Andy - Hi! I see you are still stuck with ownership of this forum! Hope you are doing great!

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
                      1) Run more than 231 miles
                      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

an amazing likeness

Matt !!!  Hey bud, welcome back.  I am completely embarrassed to have missed this post from you until now...it's very good to ready your comeback tale.

Meg's driving the bus these days and deserves all the credit these days...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good to see you, Matt! Report in the Fall thread. Trifecta done.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Thanks guys! Let's consider it a true "comeback tale" when I've got another HM under my belt! Smile

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring