Half Marathon Trainers

Winter/Year End 2017 (Read 12 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, I can't keep posting in a fall thread when I'm running with windchill, snow and ice.

It is most definitely winter here, but I had a really great run today, my longest since in over 2 months so I'm feeling pretty good about that. Smile

I did find out yesterday that a race I've done twice and was looking forward to doing for the third time next spring will be my last chance to run it. They announced it will be the final race and that makes me a bit sad. Sad

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

Well, I can't keep posting in a fall thread when I'm running with windchill, snow and ice.

It is most definitely winter here, but I had a really great run today, my longest since in over 2 months so I'm feeling pretty good about that. Smile

I did find out yesterday that a race I've done twice and was looking forward to doing for the third time next spring will be my last chance to run it. They announced it will be the final race and that makes me a bit sad. Sad

Why are they doing away with the race? Did they change the charity or reason why they were doing the race?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I haven't heard any reasons. It's a race put on by the city police. It always sucks when good races end.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Yea that sucks, we have a few long standing races around here that would crush a lot of people’s running spirit if they were discontinued.

I posted a RR of the 50k up in the RR thread.

Tiger Rag

I always struggle towards the end of the year. No races left and the weather (it's just cold here in Plymouth, UK, rather than ice / snow) isn't overly pleasant to run in.

Our local parkrun was cancelled yesterday due to an event; so I did a bit of touring. I now have a new time to beat - now at 37:34 for the season. A little too flat for my liking though!

hog4life

I am not sure how folks run that live where it get's extremely cold! I suppose the TM is the only option (I hate the TM, and haven't run on one now for years). I run a marathon yesterday where the start temp was 27 degrees. That is freezing cold here in Bama to most people. Me on the other hand, it was about perfect, except for the wind. I finished in 5:02:29. I have one more race for the year, it's called Recovery From the Holidays 50k, on December 31.

Tiger Rag

I hate the TM! I pretty much run outside in most weathers. It was, according to Garmin Connect, yesterday, a chilly, 28 degrees. A bit chilly for my liking; but at least it wasn't wet.

hog4life

I hate the TM! I pretty much run outside in most weathers. It was, according to Garmin Connect, yesterday, a chilly, 28 degrees. A bit chilly for my liking; but at least it wasn't wet.

Cold, plus wet is the worst conditions ever. People think I'm crazy, but I sweat a lot, and yesterday, I had a salt ring on my hat!

Tiger Rag

Cold, plus wet is the worst conditions ever. People think I'm crazy, but I sweat a lot, and yesterday, I had a salt ring on my hat!

I was one of the few wearing shorts and t-shirt. But I get too hot wearing anything more.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My dreadmill is a machine of convenience. On a busy day, I can run whenever I need to, even if I can get outside.

Also good for safe running when it's terrible out weather-wise. At one point yesterday, the wind was 56 gusting to 89kph. Wind 40 gusting to 60kph is routine here and depending how cold the base temperature is, it can be dangerously cold. We will get to -40* this winter plus windchill.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

My dreadmill is a machine of convenience. On a busy day, I can run whenever I need to, even if I can get outside.

Also good for safe running when it's terrible out weather-wise. At one point yesterday, the wind was 56 gusting to 89kph. Wind 40 gusting to 60kph is routine here and depending how cold the base temperature is, it can be dangerously cold. We will get to -40* this winter plus windchill.

Meg, I would change my hobby to a dog musher, lol!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sometimes it would be easier. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hey folks. Catching up here. It's been too long...

If there were a running wagon around in the last few years that I HAVEN'T fallen off of... I'd be shocked. The last 2 months are no different; travel (too much), will power (way too little), weather (too cold), fitness (none), time (never enough)  - I got all the excuses!

Over the Christmas break I've managed to sting together a few very short runs, grabbed a new pair of shoes and am really, really going to try to do better in the new year. A HM any time soon is a run too far (literally) but I'm going to try to find a 10k in Feb to start to move towards something with some distance.

On Wednesday of this coming week it will be 2 years since I ran anything over 5 miles. 2 years!!! I am NOT going out like that.

Reading about your achievements are a great motivator. Keep it coming.

Mitch - great RR for the 50k (WOW!!) and good luck on Sunday!

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Finish the year strong, Matt. You can do it! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...so let me share the tale of 2017 in one picture: HM race miles per year....

Achilles, then calf, then stress fractures, then knee to end the year limping. I have DNS'd more races this year than I actually ran. I came up 217 miles short of my annual mileage 'B' goal. I have had days when just walking was a challenge in pain management.

But through it all, I tried to remind myself that to have this little hobby of jogging around means I'm rich. I have time to devote to a hobby, I have time to invest in my health; I can pay for Dr visits, x-rays & MRIs; I can buy special shoes which only are used for me jogging around the block; I have access to the most precious resource of all -- time.

For 2018 I wish to all here, first, the best half marathon you've ever run -- 5mi + 5mi + 5km of focused effort yielding a result you hadn't imagined you could do. Secondly, I wish for you peace of mind and heart in your journey through 2018.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.