Half Marathon Trainers

First time half marathon- getting impatient (Read 28 times)

augeleven

I signed up for my first half marathon - the Seacoast half marathon in NH - in July.  I was doing the Higdon novice plan, but I'm on the last week of the program and the race is still 2 months away.  I'm doing run/walk intervals so I think I may just spend these months extending the run interval.  Anybody else get way ahead of their training plan??

an amazing likeness

Well that's a good problem to have!  And, easy to work on.

There's 2 months to the race, so work on base miles now -- keep building miles. Lots of easy miles, and some up-tempo stuff.  Then in early Oct re-do the heaviest two weeks of the training plan before fading into some recovery time later in Oct.

I've run Seacoast Half many times, it is a great course -- one the best in New England. Just a top-notch race overall.  Let me know if there's any info about the race you'd like to know.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Two weeks to Seacoast. Late fall weather has arrived here in northern New England; cold, wet rain and spitting snow. Good sign, as it will usually get drier in November as the dry NW winds from Canada set in.

Plan on race temps being in the low-mid 40s and clouds. You can huddle in the high school cafeteria until right before race start, so no need to bundle up for standing around waiting for the start gun. Start line is a short walk uphill about 200 yards from the high school. Rest rooms are available in the school, but plan on lines. Plenty of porta potties outside as well.

I was in the area a few weeks ago for work...ran the Seacoast course from miles 9-12 out and back. This is a great section of the course through the homes historic New Castle NH, built in the 1600 and 1700s, past the Wentworth By the Sea hotel, and looking out over the Atlantic. Just spectacular.

Recommend you park at the medical office complex across the street Portsmouth High School -- one of the official race parking lots -- as it can be really slow to get in and out of the school access road.

I'm planning on heading over to NH this weekend to run the White Mountain Milers Half marathon as a last long run / tempo / fitness test before Seacoast.

an amazing likeness

Doesn't look like you're active here in the group, augeleven, however a last update if you happen to stop in...

Weather prediction looks great, expect 38-42F at start. It will get warmer in the sun, so dress for 45-50F as race temp. Looks like we'll have a breezy day with NW winds -- so that means tailwind through 5mi and then headwind 6-8mi and then again at 10-12mi. Expect to be dealing with the breeze on the causeway + 2 bridges section of miles 10.5 to 11 to 12.

The course is basically a figure-8 shape, with the center point of the 2 loops being a small traffic circle. The opening 3 miles all trend down (with some ups) to get from the high school elevation down to sea level, so be careful about opening too fast -- it can be easy to blast this miles way too fast and pay for it later. Then it's rolly-polly for the next 8 miles with no significant ups or downs. From 12mi to the finish there are the climbs to make up the elevation back to the high school...it's good even effort course (rather than even pace).

Here's how I treat the course 5K segments:

Section 1 - start to traffic circle...get into rhythm, get some warmth after the start, settle in. At 2mi we go by the turn where we'll head to New Castle on the way back @ 8mi. Crest the hill, then down to the traffic circle crowds and out the other side heading to the ocean.

Section 2 - leave traffic circle area and it trends easy down...time to go. Right off the main road towards the seaside road. Good section to use some effort. Left at Wallis Sands beach, and it's into the wind and trends uphill, so this section finishes with some work. Look off to the right for the Isle of Shoals on the horizon and the Atlantic stretching to Ireland.

Section 3 -- Long sweeping curve after 6mi to start back towards the traffic circle. We're going to earn back the elevation from the 2nd 5K trending down. Curvy country roads...hard to run the tangents as the course marshals will keep us to the right, but do what you can. A last uphill push into the traffic circle. Water and gu stations here. Climb a bit as we're doubling back on over Section 1's mile 2. Then down and sharp right at 8mi for the New Castle section. At this turn, I say to myself "time to get to work and put those training miles to the test". One short, steep climb rewards us with sweeping views over the harbor as we head to the Wentworth. Right at 9mi we cross a bridge which has metal grate surface, I always use the sidewalk, which is narrow (single-file) and wood planks (slippery if wet).  Check out the view on the right as we pass the Wentworth!

Section 4 -- Narrow roads, no shoulders...be aware of car traffic -- there just isn't much room for them to give way. Rolly-polly through here, so I focus on rhythm and turnover. Sharp right at the little school with the huge oak tree, through some up and down, then sharp down to the causeway section at 11mi. Last water stop at 11.5 is high school kids screaming and hamming it up, then up and over 2 bridges...up,down, up, down. Final left turn back to South st, and we'll steadily make up the elevation we gave up in section 1. One last uphill at 12.5mi is a killer...everyone will talk about this afterward. Then final flat 0.4mi back to the high school entrance road, up the hill where we started and downhill into the cheers and the finish.

That's the Seacoast Half marathon.

mta: There's a course map w/elevation here I uploaded, use the Maps link in the group menu.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Fleet feet, Augeleven! Enjoy the race! Think of it as a celebration of all the training you've done! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Well, I have to say that today's Seacoast Half Marathon was run in weather you just do not expect in November. Instead of the expected cold, damp, grey and spitting rain or snow -- we were greeted with September temps (50F) and bright sky.  Even a tad warm at times as the sun came out.  The only hint of November was a stiff headwind in miles 5 - 6, and 11 - 12.

As to my race, I applied my recent strategy of 'run strong to 10mi, then fade to the finish' to best effect. This is not a good strategy.  2nd slowest time in the 6 times I've run this half marathon.

For the opening 8 miles I was trailing a woman who was a perfect pacer...just a metronome. Very impressive. I wish I could do that.

This marks what is likely my last 1/2 marathon for the year -- 10 this year included 3 not previously run, so some nice variety.