Half Marathon Trainers

Power drink, endurance fuel or electrolyte wins (Read 15 times)

nadinez

Hi everyone.  I'm a newbie here, 57 years young and preparing for my 4th 1/2 marathon; this is my second year for the Silver Falls Half in Salem, OR.

I am researching fuel, preferably healthy,  and I've bought some single servings of Generation Ucan and Tailwind.  I thought I'd start with Generation Ucan on first long run tomorrow which is only 5 miles at this point.  I also thought to try Generation Ucan's electrolyte powder as well.  I'm enjoying the Nathan vest with bladder (water only as this time) and just purchased two bottles to carry fuel or electrolytes.  Any thoughts, feedback and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Nadine in  smokey Pleasant Hill, OR

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Not familiar with the electrolyte brand you are trying but I like that you are testing them out well ahead of race day. There are some great half-ers in our group here and hopefully someone else will chime in. Smile

I tend to drink Powerade or chocolate milk post-run, but can usually get away with just water on a long run.

Have you checked to see what your race will be providing on course? Or are you trying to find an alternative to what they have? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hi

I can (could!) get away with water on a long run but found that I was definitely better with something more mid run.

I tried the drinks and powders - meh, didn't do much for me. Gu and other energy slime stuff just didn't have a consistency that worked for me.

I ended up with half a pack of these at about mile 7 of a HM as my go-to, mid-run snack:

http://www.clifbar.com/products/clif/bloks-energy-chews/cran-razz

... and just stuck with water to drink.

YMMV and it's certainly a great idea to try it out during your training runs. Some people can't eat anything while they are running at all!

Hope you find what works for you nadinez!

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

hog4life

Hi Nadine,

I haven't heard of the Ucan, but I have lots of running friends that talk good things about the Tailwind products(I have never used them though). I wish I could remember the name of this particular "GU" type product, but I can't. It was advertised as having a different type of sweetener that was more GI friendly. I had never used it before, but grabbed a few on the race course and really liked them when I tried them later. They were also advertised to help people with sensitive tummies(I have Crohn's).

I don't really have a favorite when it comes to the gatorades, but I do like the Nuun products, and I always try to dilute it with extra water. If I take it full strength, along with a gel, then I tend to get a tummy ache because of too much sugar.

If you want something more natural with a heavier consistency than the slimy Gu's, look at your local bike shop. I found some stuff, and again I can't remember the name(old phart here at 56), but it is a little thicker than basic apple sauce, and has a lots of carbs/protein.

Be sure to keep your experimenting to the training runs!

Mitch