Half Marathon Trainers

Fall 2017 Running (Read 25 times)

jeffdonahue

Another test for my leg and hip this weekend.  My HM is only 2 and a half weeks away, and I am signed up for the Falmouth in the Fall race this weekend - 7 miles.  I did the same race this summer (though it was really hot, weather should be nice this weekend, in the 50s) and just trying to run pain free I ran a 1:05:38 (9:23 pace).  Not trying to actually kill it this weekend but I'd like to get down closer to 8:30 pace for this weekend to give me a bit more confidence for the HM.

Overall the leg and hip have been feeling much better.  I've been able to get more and more distance in each week (no speedwork, just easy running) which included a 10 miler (ok, my hip was a bit stiff after that one) and several 4-5 milers each week as well.

Race this weekend went really well.  We took the bus to the start line (my daughter and I) and got there really early - an hour and a half.  It was a little cold and windy so we spent most of the time walking around trying to find some place we could sit that was out of the wind.  About 500 people in the race so it was a little crowded at the start but I got up on the sidewalk and was able to get right into a comfortable pace.  I lost my daughter almost immediately as she stayed in the pack and had to run at their pace for the first mile or so.

A lot of hills but I just kept a check on my leg and hip as I was running, it was a little stiff at times but no real pain or discomfort.  The wind was brutal at times.  I came in at 54:38 (7:50 pace) which was happy with, even though I know I was running that pace for a HM around this time last year.  At the end of the 7 miles my legs were completely spent.  I got to the top of the last hill and a few people passed me with a kick that I just didn't have.  But overall I was really happy with my pace and my leg.  And to top it off, my daughter dropped 10 minutes off her time on the same course from the summer, coming in at 56:45.

Cutting back on the mileage to a few 3-4 milers this week with maybe 7 this weekend as I get the legs ready for the Cambridge Half marathon on the 19th.

vegefrog

Howdy! Long time no post Smile Good to see this group still going strong! Also good to see I'm not the only one who has been slacking on  a steady running streak Smile Got so sick of being fat and lazy I decided on Nov 1 I would make myself run at least 1mile every day for the rest of the year. So far so good!!

I have a  few 5K's on the radar and I signed up for a HM in FB. I am hoping to get two months of base miles in then start some speed work and long runs come Jan. It will be my first HM in 3 years, LOL!!! I am just hoping for sub 1:50. I think it's possible, but will adjust my goal as time goes on.

We are doing the Oak Island Half Marathon (hubby is doing the full) in NC. Smaller race but not too far from Charleston.

I'll keep checking back for motivation and accountability Smile

Tiger Rag

oops! My "looking at half marathons for next year" has turned into "sign up to 4 half marathons and a full marathon"...

Not doing a huge amount at the moment. Parkrunning a lot though!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Got so sick of being fat and lazy I decided on Nov 1 I would make myself run at least 1mile every day for the rest of the year.

Be careful. That's how it starts! Wink I started with an RA group doing a US Thanksgiving to New Year's Day mile a day streak. Just a mile a day. That's not much. You can find time for a mile a day. LOL! Yeah. Then it becomes a habit.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

I finished my first 50k in 7:44:20 unofficial. I fought bad leg cramps which made the later mile very painful.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow! Nice work on finishing.

Were the cramps a new thing? Is it a hydration issue you need to figure out?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Wow! Nice work on finishing.

Were the cramps a new thing? Is it a hydration issue you need to figure out?

Yes the cramps were a new thing; I've never cramped before in a run! I did plenty of hydrating the 3 days leading into it, but I'm guessing it just wasn't enough. I had to pee like 3 times within the race starting and the first hour, then didn't pee again until after the race! There was a lady that gave me some salt tabs at mile 24 that saved the day! I am a heavy sweater too, the temps were in the 60's-70's, so I don't think I consumed enough fluids while running. I will be buying some salt tabs for the longer runs and to keep on me at all times, and I will load on salt/potassium tabs prior to big races.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Great race report! It sounds like quite the experience! The pictures are a good addition too. I can imagine in a wet year that would be treacherous. How is the recovery going? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Great race report! It sounds like quite the experience! The pictures are a good addition too. I can imagine in a wet year that would be treacherous. How is the recovery going? Smile

Thanks Meg! The State Park is so beautiful this time of year. I just love running in the woods! Recovery is going ok, I guess. I think my legs are way more sore because of the cramps. It’s almost like the muscles are injured.