Half Marathon Trainers

Help. Lost focus (Read 13 times)

jeffdonahue

So my half marathon series in June was just canceled/postponed potentially to August 30-September 5th.  I was just getting into my training week that consisted of six 9 milers in a row to really get prepped for the series.

And mentally that killed me yesterday and I've lost all focus.  I tend to keep my focus by having races to train for, but with that moved SO far away and the Falmouth Road Race in August also being canceled, those were my two main races for the year.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do.

should I just redo my training schedule for the HM series that is now not 5 weeks away, but instead is like 19 weeks away?  That is a long training cycle for something that potentially could still get completely canceled.

I thought about looking for another race to sign up for (which is my normal goto when stuff like this happens) but who knows what races are even going to happen this year - even if I look in the Fall.

could use some help or advice here as to where to put my focus.

Thanks

Jeff

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm in the same boat. Motivation took a real hit. Generally the advice I'm seeing out there (from coaches like Reid Coolset) is to cut intensity back and just go to easy volume. Where I struggle is that I'm running the same damn limited streets all the time bc the paths and parks are too full of people. I can't shake things up with some new routes.

You could pick up some virtual races. Three Days (Not) at the Fair is starting soon.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jeffdonahue

cut intensity back and just go to easy volume. Where I struggle is that I'm running the same damn limited streets all the time bc the paths and parks are too full of people. I can't shake things up with some new routes.

You could pick up some virtual races. Three Days (Not) at the Fair is starting soon.

Yeah, routes are a struggle.  I live in a really small city, but starting every run from my house it still takes a 5 mile run just to get out of my city.

As for intensity, unfortunately due to my sciatica not doing great (mainly i think due to working conditions at home - I miss my office chair, and wokring from the couch and dining room table seem to exacerbate it) all I've been doing for the past 7 weeks is easy mileage.  I think a week of two of lower mileage and more stretching maybe, and then I'll set up a training plan for the end of August series assuming it will happen.

Thanks

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm waiting on races to make announcements. Yesterday I figured out how far out my fall goal race is. I'm registered for the half, but I wanted to see when the 18 week out mark is bc the race committee will likely have to make announcement before people get too far into training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I don't think this will help either of you because you both have streaks and it sounds like you're both limited as to where you can run, but the way I'm dealing with this is trying to focus on frequency and elevation, as opposed to volume and speed. Historically I've avoided hills, but I've set myself some new goals about conquering hills, total gain in a run, etc. It seems to be working for me right now, but I may need to change it up after May (another thought I've had is to train for a 1 mile TT).

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It is really flat where I live, but good point. I should be trying to work some hill repeats into my workouts when the traffic allows. That would be good for me.

Half Fanatic #9292.