Half Marathon Trainers

So tired; HM Sunday!?! (Read 250 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

I had the worst run of my (short) career yesterday - it was just so dang HARD, I couldn't get any speed up, and I only went 4 of my planned 5 miles. My legs were achy, my breathing was shallow, my stomach hurt ... I felt terrible. I canceled the rest of the day, and went to sleep. I feel better today, but still sore. Like I need to rest. WHY? I am so scared that I'll bonk like that Sunday. Sad And, I have no idea what to do to prevent it. Should I run my planned 4 tomorrow and Friday? I am so confused, and very anxious. Any advice, most welcome. -Sally
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Prince of Fatness

I'm a believer that no running can make you just as stale for a race as too much running. From your log it looks you've been out for some long (over an hour) runs last week. Maybe you are a little beat up from that. How about a compromise? Go out for 40 minutes or so of easy running on those days, which for you is about 3 miles or so. You're not going to gain any more fitness this late in the game, so just run enough to keep loose. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

Beatin' on the Rock

Thanks for the advice, Mr. PH. I followed it and even though my stomach is not right yet ( Dead ) I am very happy I did. I ended up going faster than most days, probably because it was about 18* cooler, the run was on pavement instead of trails, and reasonably short. Very impressive log you have! Wow. I'm curious: how did you know how far I would likely go in said time? Is there a cumulative stat, or did you estimate based on some past runs? I have so many questions, but it's hard to get an answer on here that isn't geared toward younger, fitter, faster runners. So, thank you. -Sally

Prince of Fatness

Very impressive log you have! Wow. I'm curious: how did you know how far I would likely go in said time? Is there a cumulative stat, or did you estimate based on some past runs? I have so many questions, but it's hard to get an answer on here that isn't geared toward younger, fitter, faster runners. So, thank you.
          No problem. Thanks to you as well for the compliment. To answer your question I just estimated based on your workouts for the last few weeks. Good luck on Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sally, good luck on your HM!! I'm in your category of runner, I think! Slow and steady, lol. I'm just hoping to finish my HM, too - not worrying about time! Usually I find that when I have one or two horrible runs, the next week is even better than usual, so I bet you'll do great on Sunday. Can't wait to read your race report! Teresa
            wbertha

Another 2 cents coming your way...when I have one or two terrible runs the next few are usually above average. Plus, it might just be nervousness before the race and not really a reflection of your running ability. wbertha
              Ringmaster

Sally, you are right on track! I had my worst runs in the week leading up to my race too. NO WORRIES! Well, I know that you're going to have worries, but . . . trust your training. And trust MrPH: he knows what he's talking about. I ran his suggested 45 minute runs (okay, I ran 4 miles in 42 minutes, but close enough) in the days leading up to my race, and like he said, it was enough to keep me loose but not tire the legs. Remember: some runs are just hard runs. Don't belabor it, don't dwell on it, and especially don't project it onto Sunday. Hey, maybe this cooler air will hang around until then and give you perfect 60s for race day! I'm sorry I can't come cheer you on. I have a meeting a church I can't avoid. But I'm with you in spirit, Sal. Maybe next year we'll run our race together? I will say this again: you are going to be great! Big grin Just for you, I'm signing off-- VixiDu

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Beatin' on the Rock

Thanks, guys. You da' bomb. -s-