Half Marathon Trainers

1st Half Marathon in May (Read 260 times)

Timothy Wilson

Hello,

I am running my first 1/2 marathon on 20 May.  I am looking for some good tips on how to prepare.  Any help that you can render will be greatly appreciated.

HappyFeat

Welcome to the HM group. If you would like to share your log, I bet you'd get some good advice.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome! The half is a great distance!

My best tip on preparing is to use your training runs to figure out what you will do race day.  If you plan to carry water on race day, get used to the feel of it before race day. Some people like to use gels (I like Sharkies) while other people don't use anything in a half marathon. Also some people tolerate Gatorade well or don't like what Cytomax does to their gut so it's worth knowing what your race has and whether you want to have any on race day. You've got long runs between now and then to figure those things out. Smile

And if you have questions, just ask! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Welcome!

I think you will find this a nice supportive group, great positive energy.

The half appeals to runners of widely differing age and experience.

I do admire people who can run great distances and push themselves to exhaustion, but its not for me.

I like to feel I am racing, not just trying to survive- the half is long enough to be a real test of fitness, but it is a fast race.

My only advice at this point is that over-prepared is better than under-prepared.

Tell us more about your training and we can be more specific.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

I do admire people who can run great distances and push themselves to exhaustion, and we are in that group!

FIFY speaking from my own perspectiveSmile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Purely an editorial comment....I always wonder why people do this type of message posting.  Posted once on 3/30 and hasn't been back since to see if there's any information or followup.... Confused

Anyway, hope he has a good run on May 20th.  Maybe he'll be running with me in Halifax that day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.