Half Marathon Trainers

October thread (Read 344 times)

I hope you guys are all running- because I have not been!

I did cruise along for a little less than 11 miles today, a fairly hilly route I run on a regular basis, and finished in about 1:35, which is normal, but my legs are pretty tired. There always seems to be something that messes up my schedule, it was a training programme for work this week, which meant a double shift the next day so the other shift could attend. Good intentions but poor results...

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

Sadly...Simon I'm with you. I had a bicycle accident my second night of vacation..a pretty bad one. This is my face 2 days later, I was trying to enjoy my vacation, but it's hard to drink pina colada's when you can't drink out of a straw! LOL!

.Here I am

So I only ran once the whole time I was there. I messed up the whole right side of myself pretty badly, from my big toe up to my face. I have a nice black eye going on as well. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have run regardless of the flesh wounds, but my right shoulder which is sporting some awesome road rash, is also pretty bruised as well as my ribs. It hurt pretty bad to breathe deeply and I felt slightly sick to my stomach when I ran the measly 3 miles I managed to finish.

Ok, Ok. Just a little set back. Not gonna be blazing any PR's on my half marathon this next weekend, I'll just use it as a tempo run and remember that my big goal is the marathon in December. I have plenty of time to get back on track.

Trying to stay positive here. I really, really hate bikes.

HappyFeat

ohhhh ((((Vege)))) It will probably take a while to fully recover from such full-body trauma - it all sounds very painful. Are you sure doing the HM next weekend is a good idea?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Thanks for the hugs HF!!! It was a pretty scary thing...definitely the worst accident I have ever had.

As for the race, hmph. I'm gonna just take it easy. Gotta get the medal!!!

I'm pretty bummed. Sad It's a smaller half and I really thought I could maybe place in my AG if I ran a 1:49 or under, which is certainly within my abilities. With all this crap hit or miss training though, it's not a realistic goal. Oh well, there will be more Smile

The swelling has mostly subsided, and my husband says it just looks like I have herpes, LOL. The scabs are nasty!!!

That's awful! Get better soon.

VF-I'm glad you're ok!

HappyFeat

MT - wondering what lies behind your choice of the quotation in your signature line. Care to share the personal meaning?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the hugs HF!!! It was a pretty scary thing...definitely the worst accident I have ever had.

The swelling has mostly subsided, and my husband says it just looks like I have herpes, LOL. The scabs are nasty!!!

Wow!  Ouch!  That's a sucky start to your vacation.  Glad to hear it's not anything worse, because it looks like you took a pretty serious spill.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Simon – hope this week’s schedule is better for getting out and about?

VF – Wow & Ouch. I am with HF on this, are you sure you should be running this weekend? Better to rest up, not slow up the healing and get back in the saddle ready for December? If you run, go easy!

For me, good people, I need your help! For I am doing something foolish……

About 3 months ago, before work got crazy we were having dinner with some family friends and got talking about running. My friend is a fellow recreational runner, does not do many races (his last, and furthest, was a HM over 2 years ago) but he wanted to run a full Marathon before he got “too old”. I kind of half heartedly agreed to support him in this and thought nothing of it until this weekend when we were out again with them all and he asked how my training was going. For the last 12 weeks he has been slowly and very sensibly building up into a novice Marathon plan and is chugging along rather nicely. I on the other hand, as most of you know, am not. Can you see where this is going? Blush

Anyway, long story short (too late?), I have GOT to run this FULL MARATHON with him on December 9th. You can call it friendship, you can call it guilt, you will certainly call it stupid… but I have to run this.

I figured if I could run 10 miles from a standing start yesterday and still walk today then I was going to do this. I ran, I walked… I registered.

I registered for the race before posting this because you are all sensible folks and the right thing to do is to try and talk me out of it.

I know I am risking injury with trying this so that is where I am after your advice.

I have a training plan here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/b3214260df5346c5ba61bc9c0a1d5253/plans/db5a52fb296c4c35a8bafcfffb3b50c3

I plan on running slow, there will be some early mornings to accommodate this, and stretching loads.

This week will be telling, as I did 20 miles last week and have to do 29 this week. (a jump of more than 10%!)

On the plus side I need to lose some weight. I have a lofty EoY mileage goal given my current mileage and I was looking for some serious motivation. This delivers on all 3 of them! Smile

So help me with your experience folks. I know it’s foolish but I am doing it anyway.

Any input on the training plan? It’s a butchered version of Higdon’s Novice 1 as I am out for a week over thanksgiving ….. and I am starting at week 9!

Any tips on injury avoidance?

Anything else?

If any of you want to start a book on the week I get injured I am putting the over/under on Nov 4. Wink

Thanks gang. Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
                    1) Run more than 231 miles
                    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

an amazing likeness

MT - wondering what lies behind your choice of the quotation in your signature line. Care to share the personal meaning?

Thanks for asking, I'm glad to answer...but I have to warn that it's all somewhat melodramatic.

The source is a song by Lucinda Williams called Lake Charles.  In the song she is worrying about someone who is dying, and the words seem to be her hope that the dying friend had peace as death neared. At least that's my interpretation.

I've been worrying lately about my elderly father...and this is my hope for him. Also, when I was hit by the car and in and out of consciousness, there was someone (to this day I don't know who), helping hold me down and in a calming voice kept saying, 'stay down, you're hurt, help is coming, you can't move' . To me, it was an angel whispering in my ear...I don't want to forget that as the events of that time fade from bright details to pastel memories.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks for explaining- I had thought of your horrific accident when I saw the photo of VF all banged up.

My daughter used to be a very serious cyclist many years ago- she is now 40 and has 4 kids, but at one time competed internationally.

A few years back she was riding with a group on a 200km road ride when a car smashed into the group, injuring several riders.

I am starting to think running is safer.

Ran some trails in the woods today, pretty stream and leaves changing.

Anything else?

Matt.

The only thing I might comment on is that last 20 miler 2 weeks out. I would see how you are recovering from the longer stuff (like the week 5 18er), and based on that make a judgment on if you should move that 20 miler (switch it with the 12er you do the Thursday before). I just get the sense that busting out 20 after a week of turkey and stuffing might take a bit more out of you than you might like. But again, wouldn't adjust it until you get the sense of how the recoveries are going.

Good luck and take it easy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

VF, I hope recovery continues to go well. That is scary stuff, esp to have it happen away from home on vacation.

The last week has been a really poor one run-wise. I didn't get out this past Sunday for a run. First Sunday I've missed since probably early spring, but it was Thanksgiving and much else to do. Crappy low week for mileage.  I just dropped my kids off at school for the afternoon and I'm going to go run now. I need to get back on track. I guess this was my first week I'm not training for an upcoming race and at the same time, the temp has dropped like a stone below seasonal. It snowed this morning, but mostly just wet now.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Matt I don't think you  will have a problem increasing by 9 miles as long as you have run 30 in a week some time fairly recently.

in other words, increasing by 50 per cent from 20 miles to 30 is not the same as from 50 to 75 miles.

(Not advocating you continue to jump that amount!)

Sorry to hear the weather is so lousy in the Queen City, Meg, soon we will all be using Yaktrax!

Got my tights out for my last run- I always feel faster in tights, somehow it seems like something a "real runner" would do.

A random thought occurred to me last night as I waited in the line for the checkout at the supermarket, I saw a magazine which promised on the front cover that I could lose 37lbs. this month- that would put me around 120lbs, definitely not healthy - as runners we really are a bit different from the general population.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sorry to hear the weather is so lousy in the Queen City, Meg, soon we will all be using Yaktrax!

Got my tights out for my last run- I always feel faster in tights, somehow it seems like something a "real runner" would do.

Funny, when I first got my tights, like a couple of days after, someone on RA posted that they feel like a super hero when they go running in tights. I've never forgotten that! 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.