Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Oct 11..14 (Read 263 times)

an amazing likeness

The fall racing calendar continues this weekend with a triple-header from two HMT runners....

Vegefrog leads off a 6PM tonight (Thur) to test how well she's healing from the vacation and bicycle crash training combo. 5K...costumes...music...beer...sounds great.  Then on short turnaround, a half marathon on Saturday morning.

Zooco moved up his target half marathon from December to October (Nov...who needs Nov?) and tracks the beaches on the Gulf side of Florida...sun, sand, waves and running...does it get any better?

Oct 11 vegefrog Oktoberfest 5K 5K Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Oct 13 vegefrog Bridge2Bridge Half 13.1 mi Georgetown,SC
    Oct 14 Zooco Blue Mountain Half 13.1 mi Blue Mountain Beach, FL

Good luck, fleet feet and cooling breezes to all our racers...start when they fire the gun, and run until someone wraps you in foil.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Happy racing Zooco!!! Hope it's a good one Smile

I ran a 24:04 last night, it was a small crowd, around 200, and I ended up 7th overall female and first in my AG. I got a cool pint glass to show for it, which I proceeded to fill with beer all evening long. The race was sponsored by Westbrook brewing company, so it was good stuff.The after party was great, with Oompah band and brats and costumes. I got second in the costume contest, mostly because not too many people dressed up. I tell you what, I have a new found respect for people who run in costume. I just wore a wig and it about drove me nuts!!

Didn't feel too terribly bad...but I didn't want to push the pace with my half on Saturday.

Still haven't decided what Saturday's race pace will be...guess I'll just do what I can and have fun Smile

Blondie

an amazing likeness

Love the costume...from now we shall have to call you Heidi-the-beer-maiden-with-pigtails!  Great job on the AG win, WOHOOO!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

Good luck in your HM races tomorrow, Vege and Zooco.

Sounds like you had a great time at the Octoberfest 5K, Vege - I mean Heidi!  Congrats on the AG award. You sure healed up quickly from your accident!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Love the costume...from now we shall have to call you Heidi-the-beer-maiden-with-pigtails!  Great job on the AG win, WOHOOO!

Ahhhh the picture that spawned a thousand nicknames Wink

Great work in the 5k Heidi! Congratz on the AG win. Go easy on that HM (yeah, like that's going to happen!). Good luck!

Zooco - have a great race today. Let us know how you get on.

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

vegefrog

Maybe Heidi can be my running alter-ego Wink

Yeah, I guess I'm a quick healer! The black eye went away so fast, I don't think it was a true black eye, just a little bruising. I'm so lucky that bike wreck didn't set me back further. The scar on my chin is well hidden unless you are looking up from underneath me, and since I'm 5'0, that doesn't happen often, LOL.

The ribs hurt a bit today, but most of the course was SO beautiful and the weather was SO perfect that I had to give it my best shot. Came away with a 20 second PR. Not the 1:49 I wanted, but oh well. I felt GREAT until mile 8. At that point the course went up a fairly steep grade bridge and then into a boring as all get out flat neighborhood, then back over that same bridge for mile 11. I was spent after the second time over it, but had enough to bring it home. I had fun AND I beat my 2 guy friends who I do long runs with, so I got to brag about that Wink They are doing a marathon in 2 weeks though, so they were just using this as a taper longish run.

Zooco I hope you had a great day!!!

vegefrog - Congrats on your new PR!  Sounds like you had a great race. Loved the Heidi pic and comments.

Everyone - Thanks for the encouragement.  Tomorrow is my first HM.  Looking forward to it.  Calves have been tight all week, but I am certain my excitement will overcome any discomfort.  Looking to finish, though I did a 14 mile training run 2 weeks ago.  I am slow, but after starting on a treadmill 6 months ago where I could only run for a minute or two at a time without a walk break, I am just happy to be participating.  I would like to see a time under 2:30, but since I have larger goals of wanting to continue in other HMs and an eventual full, I will be patient.  If I can loose another 35 lbs, that alone will help (already down 50 since March).  I will try and see if I can snap a decent picture tomorrow.  The turnaround point is located in Seaside (remember the town from the Jim Carrey movie "The Truman Show"?)  Weather is supposed to be about 69 degrees for the low tonight, expect mid to high 70s by race finish.

I'll report back tomorrow, and will be wearing my Garmin 410, so anyone interested should be able to view the course.

Zooco (aka Jim)

HappyFeat

Congratulations on the PR, VegeBig grin ...way to overcome adversity...you're tough!

Zooco - You are going to do GREAT tomorrow. ...your first HM is a Special Day! Sounds like it will be a warm one...keep your hydration and electrolytes up....and don't try to run too fast until the last 3 miles.  The beginning few miles should feel too easy; you will probably be surprised to look at your watch and see you are going faster than planned. If that happens, slow down right away. Be patient until the later part of the race. Did you try stretching your calves to relieve the tightness? An ice pack tonight might help too. When all else fails, I rely on Tylenol before a long run. (You probably have heard that NSAIDs are a no-no.)

I ran 13 today as my Saturday Long Run. I planned on 12, but ended up a bit over a mile from home and couldn't face the long walk since I'd been tired the whole way and running slower than I would have preferred. So instead of walking, I opted for a Fast Finish, got up on my toes and ran the last mile a whole minute faster than pretty much all the rest of them...and it felt great.

vegefrog

The beginning few miles should feel too easy; you will probably be surprised to look at your watch and see you are going faster than planned. If that happens, slow down right away. Be patient until the later part of the race.

I wish I had read that before MY half!! Great advice!! That happened to me, but I didn't slow down and paid for it in the last 3rd of the race.

I completed my HM today!  I loved it.  Had a great time and a very good race (mind you, a very good race for me).

If interested, here is a link for the map page from my download:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/5465ebab02784dbf8ffada245e3b8d36/workouts/4f4b4c5a3efd4c50bdb4a01ded068558/map

Love how you can drag the little guy and place him on the road to get a look at the course.

Now, the details of my stupidity.....

Have to get up around 4 am, hit the road at 5 am.  Got to race site just after 6 for a 7 am start.  Now, I got home yesterday afternoon and was moving my 'stuff' around after returning home, and the one thing I didn't put in the correct place was my GymBoss timer (Because I am still big and getting older, I use the Galloway method for distances beyond 9 miles right now).  OK, so I was dumb, I can recover and did. Set up my Garmin to view the elapsed time to track when I need to take my breaks now.  Race starts, and now my Heart Rate monitor isn't showing an accurate heart rate. I am running down the street and see a HR of 100 and know that is no where close (probably needs new battery).  Since I use my HR to monitor and control myself, I realize that I just need to run within myself.  Now  the real stupidity.

I am feeling good, in fact, GREAT!  (you can see where this is headed)

Well, I am going strong, and all of a sudden realize that I just clicked off a mile at about 10:14 pace.  That is way too fast.  Damage done.  I paid for it in the end, but you know what?  I wouldn't change a thing!  Great experience all the way around.  Definitely memorable.  Official time 2:27:42.  Watch time 2:27:12. (only had chip timing on finish, not the start.)

Today, is the reason I run.  I am participating in life, and things happen. Lessons learned.  New thoughts about what I need to do for myself.

The race itself is a great race.  We had a little over 350 for the HM.  Over 500 for the combo (10K).  Scenic route, great volunteers. Cheering spectators in places along the route.  I would like to do this again next year, but depends on schedule.  Hate racing on Sundays, but I will allow myself this one.

Plan for a late Jan Saturday HM in Destin, then thinking if I don't fall apart and think I can push, maybe the Nashville edition of the Rock n Roll series where I could do the marathon (last Saturday in April).

HappyFeat

Celebrating your achievement, Zooco! Sounds like a wonderful event.

vegefrog

Today, is the reason I run.  I am participating in life, and things happen. Lessons learned.  New thoughts about what I need to do for myself.

I LOVE that! So happy for you! It's wonderful that you had such a great race and didn't let those obstacles stop you Smile

Nice work Jim - great job.

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Thank you everyone for the compliments.  It is reading your stories that kept me motivated as I worked towards my goal race.  Already getting excited about doing another half in January.  Thinking of doing an easy 3 tomorrow to keep the legs limber.

Congratulations to both of you- the enthusiasm is tremendous!

We have a Blue Mountain Half up here in Canada, same weekend too!

Ours is in the town of Collingwood, Blue Mountain is a ski resort, more of a decent hill than a mountain, but it seems like an odd or humorous name for a race in Florida.

Well done, guys!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.