Half Marathon Trainers

New to group--doing a 1/2 in September (Read 538 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Hello! Just wanted to let people know I was lurking about here in case I start posting in other threads. I'm using a 1/2 in September to really focus on building my base and adding mileage, not really running it to be competitive. I do use an online coach to make sure I don't overwork myself into an injury, so I trust his saying I'll be ready even though my log shows the base isn't there yet. The cost of coaching versus the cost of PT when I do something stupid pays for itself--I've been in PT twice now.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Hi Chris! Welcome to the group, there are lots of good " Coaches" here too..... Wink I am doing Hal Higdon Half Novice and it's going great so far.... Running comfortably and enjoying the journey. Train Well, and stay healthy! Cheffy Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Welcome, Chris. This is a great place to meet people with similar interests. Do you find having a coach helps with motivation? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Welcome, Chris. This is a great place to meet people with similar interests. Do you find having a coach helps with motivation? Simon.
          Simon-- for me a coach is a great source of motivation. Since getting one, I have not missed a training run, no matter how tired I am when the alarm goes off. He also gives me some good feedback, so I'm not "guessing" when things are going well or not, or when I am pushing too hard.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Chris! I'm running my first half in September for the same reasons you are. Signing up for it has really helped my motivation. When I'm tempted to skip a run, I just think about the consequences! Shocked
              Hey there. I am doing the Hal Higdon 1/2 Marathon novice schedule also. So far I am loving it. Cool Good luck ~CJ
              You play the way you practice
                Welcome! I am new to this group as well. Training with a half m training group, my half is in August.
                Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                  Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss, Chris ! I'm also new to the group, and have a half planned for September. But first, I have to finish training for my second 10k at the end of June. Also been looking at various half training schedules. Higdon novice looks good. There are some good programs at Runner's World, too. Cheers, Paul
                    Hello Chris and welcome aboard. I just did my first HM this past Sunday. a rreal great bunch of people here and don't be afraid to run things by us or tell us what you're feeling. Sometimes some of the people here might give you feedback or motivation that you can't get from your coach or that you aren't comforatable in telling your coach. Also congratulations on the weight loss. I'm sure it wasn't easy. It also reminds me that I neglected to tell the group, that not only did I accomplish my race goals on Sunday, but I also acheived my weight goal. My goal was 150. I had bounched back and forth all week between 151 and 153, but unday morning, I was 150.4. A year ago at this time I was 175 and it was all fat around my middle. So keep it up and kepp us posted on how things are going.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

LPH and paul-- thanks on the congrats on the weight loss. It has been a challenge, but I'm almost done (5 lbs till 120 and goal). Paul-- congratulations on your successes. I will definitely come here for advice along the way to 13.1, and hopefully start having some nice race reports to share after September. Chris

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

IMKY13 finish!!

New to this forum here too. I've done a total of 5 half marathons so far (3 this year, and two more planned during rest of the year for a total of 7). My goal in one of the two halfs I am planning on doing is to go sub two hours.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I'm training for the Philly distance run also; also my first half. I'm following the PhillyFit marathon program, but I'm not going to do the full marathon yet. I figure with a few adjustments the marathon training will give me confidence that I can do the half without too much discomfort.
                          celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Margs-- Good luck with your training! It is supposed to be a wonderful race and I'm looking forward to it (even though I am concerned I won't have sufficient mileage on my legs by then). Keep me posted on how things are going in preparation for PDR. Chris

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

ud32

I have a similiar concern with possible lack of mileage. I am following the Novice Hal Higdon progam too - but have to cut out two weeks (the first and the 10th weeks) in order to run the race in Sept.. So I will go from 10 miles a week to 23 miles a week and then the following week run the HM.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm lacking mileage, also, because of my achilles injury. I figure I will do my best, and walk if I have to. It will make my second HM that much more enjoyable!