Half Marathon Trainers

Bah, that sucked! (Read 358 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I only ran for 40 minutes this AM, but every step was miserable. 5 minutes from my house it started to rain. And it's only 50º. Ick. I was achey and tired. I haven't slept well in the past couple of weeks and that combined with recovering from my race Sat. is catching up with me. TGIF, since that is my next non-running day. But DH is in Chicago for the next 2 nights hanging with his folks while his dad undergoes some experimental cancer treatments, so hopefully I can catch up on sleep. Part of my problem has been that his alarm has been waking me up and I've been unable to get back to sleep. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bas

<converting> Ooh, that's cold in september! <checking> Sheesh! You don't give yourself much of a rest, do you? Maybe you should take some more rest days after a race. Or at least one rest day after the first run after a race... I went to a club training yesterday. I didn't finish the complete program and today I did not run at all, and I did not feel like running either. Give that girl a break Smile bas</checking></converting>

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

bas

<converting> Ooh, that's cold in september! And what do you mean, *only* 40 minutes?? <checking> Sheesh! You don't give yourself much of a rest, do you? Maybe you should take some more rest days after a race. Or at least one rest day after the first run after a race... I went to a club training yesterday. I didn't finish the complete program and today I did not run at all, and I did not feel like running either. Give that girl a break Smile bas</checking></converting>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wondered if I should be resting more, but even taking 2 days off after my race was making me antsy. I'm not pushing myself too hard this week, though. I may cut tomorrow's run pretty short, too. I REALLY wanted to skip today, especially once the rain started, but I'm so paranoid that if I can rationalize running one day...well, then that will turn to 2 and 3 days. And especially if I let the weather be a deterrant, as we are in for at least 6 months of ick around these parts. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

sjwick

Sounds like your not enjoying running anymore. Everybody needs a break. maybe these might help http://coaching.usolympicteam.com/coaching/kpub.nsf/v/5Sept03 http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/overtraining.shtml http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/overtraining-causes.html and one for fun http://www.letsrun.com/overtrain.html
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Susie, that's really interesting. I don't know that I have been "overtraining," per se, but I definitely think that I didn't taper enough before my 10mi. race last weekend or eat very well last week (and nerves in the nights before that race kept me awake--I'm pretty prone to stress-induced insomnia and even the Ambien wasn't helping much) and that probably has snowballed a bit this week. I did cut 10 minutes off of my planned 70 minute run this AM. Tomorrow is a rest day for me and I'm looking forward to it, LOL! But, dagnabbit, why can't I have these two symptoms of overtraining: • weight loss • loss of appetite I have the opposite problems...bah! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Have a big glass of wine, sleep and just run a short distance tomorrow for FUN... and let your body recover! lisa
                Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*as I enjoy a bottle of my favorite Summer beer that will soon be unavailable for a few months* I'm actually not running, tomorrow. DS has a special day at school, so I won't have time, anyhow. Saturday I am planning on my long, easy run for the week. I get to sleep in that day, so that will certainly help. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

I'm actually not running, tomorrow. DS has a special day at school, so I won't have time, anyhow. Saturday I am planning on my long, easy run for the week. I get to sleep in that day, so that will certainly help.
                    OK! Good luck with your *not* running! Big grin And have fun on your run after that. Remember the 'easy' in 'long easy run' Smile bas

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Remember the 'easy' in 'long easy run' Smile bas
                      Ha, that IS the hard part! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

It is! Maybe this helps: Giving all this advice about taking it easy obliges me to do the same Smile especially as I notice I might be the next on the 'overtrained' list. So I started logging 'easy runs', not just 'long runs' as I did before and I started trying to make them really easy. Tonight I did one, and it was great! I knew I could go faster than I did, but I made myself keep a relaxed pace. I just enjoyed the run. When I got back after 30+ minutes I felt like going on, but told myself not to do so. The result was that I felt it great! So said told myself: 'See? That's what they mean when they say you should do easy runs.' And I answered myself: 'Uh huh' Shy bas