Half Marathon Trainers

Hello from an old friend and former member (Read 281 times)

Just stopping in to check on the group, nice to see Matt is still active and has kept it going.  Lots of new faces and still some of the old faces.  Didn't have time to go through many of the threads today, but hopefully will be back to check in and see who is still around from the old group.

So to those who think I disappeared from the face of the earth, I kind of did, but I'm kind of back.

Not likely, that I'll be running anymore HMs, due to some health issues, I'm a far cry from where I was a few years ago.  I have decided though to at least get back out on the pathways, enjoy the weather, scenary, clear the mind and put one foot in front of the other for as long as I can.  It's really deflating to the ego running 26, 27 min 5Ks, considering just a couple of years ago I broke 21 mins. 

I have two simple goals this year,

1. Keep running

2. Run a 5K road race (I haven't raced now in several years)

LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Welcome back LPH and good luck with your goals. Returning to running after a layoff isn't easy under the best of circumstances. 

When do you want to run your 5k?

Wonderful to have you back, Larry!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Welcome back LPH and good luck with your goals. Returning to running after a layoff isn't easy under the best of circumstances. 

When do you want to run your 5k?

Have no particular 5K in mind at the moment, just taking things one run at a time.  Will see how I hold up.  I'm hoping that mind over matter is stronger than the rest and I'm going to do this one day at a time.

LPH

an amazing likeness

Not likely, that I'll be running anymore HMs, due to some health issues, I'm a far cry from where I was a few years ago.  I have decided though to at least get back out on the pathways, enjoy the weather, scenary, clear the mind and put one foot in front of the other for as long as I can.  It's really deflating to the ego running 26, 27 min 5Ks, considering just a couple of years ago I broke 21 mins. 

I have two simple goals this year,

1. Keep running

2. Run a 5K road race (I haven't raced now in several years)

Larry -- keep in mind the great advice Long Run Nick keeps throwing out there....'Start slow and back it down from there', it's the long haul that matters, not the next race.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hello and I'm  back.  Nice to still see some familiar faces here (Happyfeet, Simon, CanadianMeg, Matt) and that Matt has kept his promise of keeping the group going since I turned it over to him a few years back.

As for me, I was never able to run that 5K last year.  Health issues just did not permit it, but as much as my DRs told me to walk for exercise, I continued to run (albeit badly) and only managed to run 4 miles twice and 4½ miles once.

I won’t go into all of the details at this time and bore everyone, but did want to let everyone know that despite the DRs, I am coming back.  I starting running in the spring again (lungs won’t tolerate cold air) and for the most part was where I left off last year.  But the last couple of months have seen drastic improvements and I’m currently running well and have completed a 10 miler this week and am setting my goals on a Half Marathon on Sept 15th in Westerly RI (Close to my new Condo).  Not only will it be my first race back, but it will also be my first race at age 60.  My Regular DR and my Pulmonologist think I’m nuts, but my breathing has been great and my heart continues to be strong (the heart has never been an issue).  I am currently only running every other day as I was finding two days in a row to be too stressful, but the 10 miler was fairly easy and each run is running on feel.  I’m not really doing much of any speed work, intervals, hills or serious training, just putting on my shoes and going out for a run and taking it as it comes.

So this old runner has not given up, has refused to listen to the naysayers (have the wife's support), has lost 25 lbs in 4 months and enjoying what I learned at age 50 was something that I loved to do.

LPH

hog4life

Larry, I'm one of the new folks and really glad to see you back. I'm 52, colon cancer survivor, 4 halves, trying first full in December, and a whole bunch of 5k's. When I was going through my surgery and recovery just one year ago, I was also diagnosed with histoplasmosis, so I needed a pulmonoligist to take care of me. All the doctors strongly encouraged me to keep running.

I hope you continue to improve and take your health back. Good luck on your upcoming half. I'll look forward to hearing about it.

Mitch

Zelanie

Hello, Larry!  Another newbie here, and I hope that your training and HM go well! Smile

Thanks for the encouragement and nice to meet both of you and although it might be a little late, Welcome to the group.

As I indicated, I used to be the owner, but passed the torch to Matt who has kept his word and kept this group going.  It has always been a great group full of support and wisdom and has avoided the crap that some of the groups tend to fall into.

Ran 11 on Sunday, struggled through miles 10 and 11, however I picked the worse part of the day to run (11AM) so the sun was up and strong and no shade to run in.  But I did it with a little help from the wife who met me at mile 9 to refresh water and gator aide supply.

I know we can't just will good health, but as you said we can try to take control of it and not let it take us down the beaten path, at least not without a fight.

Larry

LPH

an amazing likeness

Welcome back (again), Larry!  Good to hear that you're able to get back to some running and are taking a stab at a comeback half in October.

Sad to report that Matt had to back down his time here....between family, church, work and running/RA...he felt something had to give...and it looks like he's backed off his running and time on RA.

Good luck with the new age group -- around these parts, the M60 age group is full of speedsters.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks Andy.  So are you now the owner of the group?

BTW, my race is Sept 15th 4 1/2 weeks away.

Yes, around these parts, there are some real speedsters around here in the 60 bracket. Four years ago I was getting closer to th speedsters and was looking forward to reaching 60, but now am only worried about running.

Larry

LPH

redleaf

Hello! I'm kinda new and kinda not. Apparently this is the "year of the half marathon" for me.

Wishing you all the best in your training and what seems like an awesome comeback

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362