Half Marathon Trainers

March Running (Read 14 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sooner or later, it's going to get busier in here as people start training for their spring/summer/fall races. I've got 2 halfs on the radar next month and I'm hoping I can pull together a solid month of training in March to get my confidence up. The first is a race I haven't done before on Good Friday. The second race was my first spring half ever (run last year) and I struggled. It would be nice to have a really strong race for one or both of those. Confidence is down a bit after a slow 10k last weekend. Smile

What's going on out there? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Tiger Rag

I did my first half marathon of the year in Malta. Unfortunately, because it really irritated my chest, (to the extent that I couldn't walk properly) I won't be doing that again. I hope the Dublin Rock and Roll Half is slightly kinder to me in August...

I have a 10k to look forward to next weekend.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Do you know what caused the problems for you?

Good luck next weekend.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Tiger Rag

I have asthma and we think it was the heat. As someone who lives in England, I'm not that used to running in heat.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

No doubt! (My sister lives in Oxford.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

From the Internet.

Just under 8 weeks out from marathon day! Super excited!

I ran my half marathon last weekend (the 19th) - I wanted to run it hard, coach wanted me to target MP and do 19 miles total for the day, I kinda did both because I'm smart. 1:41:15 on a very windy day and I even sandbagged the first half a little knowing that the wind was going to be terrible the second half. With a taper, some better weather, and several more months of training behind me I'll be smashing right through that in the fall!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What a great confidence boost going as you get down to the last two months of training for the big one! Awesome! (I can't even put that kind of speed and sandbagging in the same sentence. LOL! I'm so not speedy!)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

jeffdonahue

Okay, I am now 4 weeks out from my next HM.

Training has not gone as planned - between one small injury, my father's passing, and a couple rather large snow storms, I just didn't get the speed work in that I wanted to.  I have, for the most part, kept up with my mileage and have 5 runs of 12+ miles.  I hope to get two more 14 milers in before the race, but at this point have decided not to even try to get the speed work in, but rather just keep the mileage over 40 miles a week until race week.

I ran two HMs last year after about a 2-3 year hiatus from racing while I played old-man soccer.  Playing soccer and trying to train for races just didn't work for me - soccer just beat up my legs too much.  Anyway, last year I ran one in early May (same one I am doing at the end of April this year).  For that one, my plan was to go under 2 hours.  I was psyched because they had pacers and I saw a guy with a 9:00/mile pace sign so I started off in front of them and just planned to not let him pass me.  Ended up coming in really happy at 1:50:48.

So I signed up for another in the Fall - training went pretty well and my goal was to hit 8:00/mile pace for that one.  No pace groups, and I really didn't use my watch except to hit the split button at the mile markers so I could review later.  Came in at 1:42:39, so again, another happy ending.

So my original plan was to hit 7:30/mile pace for this upcoming race at the end of April.  But without the speed work, I don't know if I see that coming.  Plan will be to get whatever mileage I can in between now and then - taper well and go in rested.  I don't plan on really using my watch again and just run by feel and see how it goes.  I'm hoping they have pacers again, and even more so that they have one somewhere just south of the 7:50 pace I finished my last HM in.

Here's hoping all goes well in April.