Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - January 2010 (Read 700 times)

Happy New Year!

So with Christmas Calories in the rear view mirror how's everyone's New Year shaping up?

Got my first easy run of 2010 in - a short 4 miler this morning.

Joined the 1500 mile pace bunny group to track one of my goals too.

Hoping you all get out of the blocks for a decent running start to 2010.

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Got an easy run in this morning at Cooper Lake state park,
      3.67 Mi

ahr=95 mhr=104
      had some hills and needed to avoid icy patches but fun running on park roads to start the new year after finishing Dec with 95.6 mi, my highest mileage yet, and w/o injry thanks to low hr training approach.

Happy New Year half marathoners!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Lu481

I ran the 5k resolution run in Edmonton this morning.  The temperature was -15C with a high windchill but the run was through a subdivision so the houses kept the wind down to minimum. 

It wasn't an official race, (just a fun run) so the times and placements were not recorded.  Even so...  I crossed the finish line in 28:05 with about 30 or so people in front of me...  Not bad considering there were 1500 registered (whether they all showed up or not is another question)

Here's wishing everyone the best for 2010, and may everyone make their goals for the year...

Lu

Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks for starting us off Matt; I have run on consecutive days for the first time since  late September, perhaps, so that is a good thing.

I have a sore right ankle, feels like a bruise to the Achilles tendon of my right ankle, not sure what happened, so taking it slow and easy.

I would also like to cover 1500 miles in twenty ten.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Happy New Year to everyone. 

Matt, thanks for starting the Jan thread.

Simon, great job on two consecutive runs, but get some ice on that ankle and think about a wrap for the next run.

Bob, great job on the new injury free high milage month.  Tell us more about your low HR training plan!

Well I christined the New Year with my first run today (threadmill)  Did 5 1/4 miles and felt pretty good.  I have a lot of calories to burn off for the past month.  Hoping I can get myself motivated to run 4 days a week for the next two months.  My run also included my typical 1/2 mile warm up and cool down, so for those fo you who count your walks it's really 6 1/4 miles (but who's counting)

Larry

PS - Although the  knees continue to bother me, they do not bother me walking or running, so I'm just going to keep running

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hey everyone!  Just joined this group maybe a month ago and have just been lurking.

I have run three HMs previously and this year I am setting agressive goals (for me) to run 1000 miles and to run at least 5 HMs.  I have them all planned out, but am wondering what to do between races as far as training goes.  My previous HMs I trained for the race, climaxed on race day and then dropped back down to like 7 to 10 mpw.  This time I want to stay with a solid 20 to 30 mpw, keep it up all year, and try to keep my running energized through this entire year.

Anyone have any suggestions on training plans to try out.......or suggestions for keeping up the excitement in my running?

Anyway, cheers everyone!  Happy 2010.......may you all be healthy and reach your goals!

Sean

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Bob, great job on the new injury free high milage month.  Tell us more about your low HR training plan!

Larry, I found out about low hr training in the RA LHR forum; http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/Forum.  I was looking for training methods that would allow me to increase time on feet & mi/wk and also help me avoid injury like I had sustained using Higdon and Runners World Wizard last spring. They were to aggressive for an old fart beginning runner like me. I used Galloway run/walk from late spring thru this fall and it helped me heal while still running.  Galloway was good, but it still generated lactic acid and I didn't think I could increase the number of days/wk using it, and Galloway doesn't recommend if for folks my age. So I poked around RA and found the LHR forum. Read up on it, bought one of Dr. Maffetone's books and gave it a try. Its working great for me after two months of using it. Basically its uilding aerobbic base by running at a heart rate below maximum aerobic function, MAF, which Maffetone defines as 180-age-/+ factors. In my case the factor is -10 for heart medications. So my MAF target = 180-63-10=107. So any running I do is under that hr. MAF tests are conducted periodically, which is running at MAF hr for a few miles and most training is done under MAF. I have chosen two target training hr's, easy=97 (maf-10) and very easy=87 (maf-20) as a way to increase time w/o injury. At first it was hard to slow down and learn to jog slowly, especially on the very easy days. But then I got into it and am finding it pleasant. My training plan is one long day hr=97, 2-easy days, and 2-3 very easy days. Long run is up to 2hrs and I may extend it, other runs are 60-90 minutes. So far every run has ended with no lactic acid buildup, e.g. no recovery needed. Another thing I am noticing is a change in gait. It feels more natural and I think tending away from overpronation I had been doing. The wear pattern on new shoes is not the same on my older ones. I will continue thru January and then introduce anerobic training - which I haven't worked out yet, leading to another half on 2/27.

Wow longer than I planned, but wanted to explain how I came to lhr.

Got a final short run in at Cooper Lake this am. A little over 2mi (screwed up gps by not noticing I had hit stop instead of lap after warm up) and had a great interaction with some deer. That's six days of running. Tomorrow will be an off day - have to get a blood test in the morning, then I'm going to see if I can squeeze in a MAF test on Tues before heading to Atlanta to spoil the grandkids...

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Hi Sean and welcome to the group.  Congratulations on the 3 HMs last year.  But dropping to 7-10 MPW in between is too inconsistent. 

At the peak of your training, how many MPW were you running and how many days did you run per week?

Figure out how many days you want to run inbetween HMs, then add variety to your runs (if you don't already) and throw in some other races of various speeds to keep you motivated and challenged.

Larry

Hey everyone!  Just joined this group maybe a month ago and have just been lurking.

I have run three HMs previously and this year I am setting agressive goals (for me) to run 1000 miles and to run at least 5 HMs.  I have them all planned out, but am wondering what to do between races as far as training goes.  My previous HMs I trained for the race, climaxed on race day and then dropped back down to like 7 to 10 mpw.  This time I want to stay with a solid 20 to 30 mpw, keep it up all year, and try to keep my running energized through this entire year.

Anyone have any suggestions on training plans to try out.......or suggestions for keeping up the excitement in my running?

Anyway, cheers everyone!  Happy 2010.......may you all be healthy and reach your goals!

Sean

LPH

Hi Sean and welcome to the group.  Congratulations on the 3 HMs last year.  But dropping to 7-10 MPW in between is too inconsistent. 

Actually, to clarify.......I have run three HMs EVER......that is, one each of the last three years, not all three last year.  Inconsistent, yes.  Right now I am running 25 mpw and would like to stay there.  I run 4 days per week and think I should probably throw in another day, but my body needs some recovery days......I just cannot imagine running back to back to back days.  Then again, I have never strung back to back to back weeks at say 30 mpw to even see how I can take it.

Variety is definitely in the formula.  I have been really changing it up with very diverse routes and also been playing with hills and some fartlek types of workouts.......all of which have really energized my running.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Sean!  Glad to meet you.  You'll get some great advice from folks here!  I'm a civil engineer, also, but in structural.  You live in the same town as my husband's sister!  Cool.

I've run four days in a row, and it's felt great.  I'll take off today and hit it again tomorrow.  2010 will be a good year!

Sean, up until 2 years ago I too thought I could only run every other day.  I ran about 900 miles that year.  Last 2 years I got in the habit of running real easy on the days I'd normally rest, and was able to get to 1500 miles easily.

My running feels easier than when I was taking days off on purpose, unlike now when my schedule dictates the off days.  Running 5-6 times/week, I chopped off 5 minutes off my 5K and about 15 minutes of my Half marathon over the last 2 years. 

Granted that the mileage helped, but the only way to get that mileage is running on more days as I dont have the time for real long weekend runs.

WOW, Happyfeet, that is a great story.......I would KILL to shave 15 min off my HM time!!!!  Ya know, I have actually been feeling REALLY good even with my two back-to-back days (Tues and Wed) the last few weeks.  It has actually gotten me thinking that maybe I will try another day per week and just see if I can do a 5 day/week schedule.  If I can fit it into my hectic schedule, then maybe I can really achieve my goals for this year.

I'll let you know how things go if I give this a try......

Sean, if your body is feeling good, then give it a try of adding an extra run in, but easy. 

What's your current schedule like?  What days of the week do you run, the mileage and the type of run?

Mixing things up is good, keeps the body form getting into a rut. 

As to keeping motivated, did you consider what I suggested, which was to run some other races?

Larry 

LPH

Prince of Fatness

WOW, Happyfeet, that is a great story.......I would KILL to shave 15 min off my HM time!!!!  Ya know, I have actually been feeling REALLY good even with my two back-to-back days (Tues and Wed) the last few weeks.  It has actually gotten me thinking that maybe I will try another day per week and just see if I can do a 5 day/week schedule.  If I can fit it into my hectic schedule, then maybe I can really achieve my goals for this year.

I'll let you know how things go if I give this a try......

I'm not sure how much you are running but adding a day is easiest and probably the safest way to add mileage.  Just start with an easy jog on that extra day and work your way up.  I hear you about hectic schedules.  What has helped me is not focusing on running x miles.  Instead I run by time, i.e., x minutes.  This has helped me get out there consistently and the miles have taken care of themselves.

Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

ditto on the running by time. Miles will come. I'm currently using low hr training method to run 6x/wk, with three very easy jogging days, 2 easy jogging days, about an hour + each, and a long run of 2+hrs. That allowed me to run for 24 1/2 hrs and cover 95 mi in Dec - w/o injury. A high for me and the first time I've had two months exceeding 70mi w/o injury. Easy running does it.

Did 6mi this morning a Max Aerobic Function (MAF) test where after 1 mi warming up, I ran at maf hr of 107 (remember my low hr is drug induced) and I did 4mi at that hr with resulting pace of 13:10 +/- .02! I felt I could have run another 4 mi at that pace which is faster than my half pace from Nov. Indicates good aerobic function. I'm happy with the results I'm getting from low hr training method. I've completed three weeks of 6 runs/week with no ill effects and will continue for another month.

bob e v