Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Dec 8 & 9 (Read 284 times)

an amazing likeness

Given the big-deal goal races on our calendar this week – a day early start to our weekly Intrepid Racers topic seemed in order…

With only a few weeks to the winter solstice, we’ve entered the darkest period of the year for those logging outdoor miles; whether morning or night, the miles are passing before dawn and in evening’s dark. The sparkle of holiday lights from trees and windows and dancing fence lights now light the neighborhood streets, with just a dusting of snow to reflect all the colors.  The reward for these miles of solitude will be found in a race day or crisp run that comes unexpected from tired legs.

Wow! What a weekend we have coming up…3 marathons and 2 half marathons!

Vegefrog will be taking her recent stack of PRs, and a beautifully-executed 16 weeks of training to the humidity of the Carolina shore. All signs are pointing to another PR for this one.

MattJ shows the meaning of true commitment as he takes a shortened year’s base mileage and training plan challenged by travel, family, and obligations to the line to accompany a friend in running the newly revamped Dallas (nee White Rock) marathon course.

New to HMT, jaxn, is looking to go sub-3 at Rocket City. I have not the words to try and describe the effort a sub-3 marathon represents….good luck jaxn.

Another new HMT’r, jwcarlile, toes the start line for the Swamp Stomp Half, and immediately wins our ‘best race name’ award, and may even take ‘best race logo’ as well. With a goal of 2:00, here’s hoping for a few extra seconds and a 1:59.

We haven’t heard from Bobev in a while as he toes the line for a rolly-polly course in the hills of Austin, TX.

Also a new HMT’r, txDiverMom hits the roads around Texas A&M for the BCS Half.

Dec 8 vegefrog Kiawah Island Marathon 26.2 mi Kiawah Island, SC
    Dec 8 jwcarlile Swamp Stomp Half 13.1 mi Lake Charles, LA
    Dec 8 jaxn RocetCity Marathon 26.2 mi Huntsville, AL
    Dec 9 bobev Decker Challenge 13.1 mi Austin (Keepin' it weird), TX
    Dec 9 MattJ Dallas Marathon 26.2 Dallas, TX
    Dec 9 TxDiverMom BCS Half 13.1 mi College Station, TX

Sending wishes of good luck, calm tummy's, short porta-potty lines, and easy opening miles to all our runners. Trust your training and Go Get What You've Earned.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck to all- what an impressive list.

Watch out for icy patches on those dark roads, guys- don't ask!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Good luck to all the racers!

vegefrog

MT... your race weekend descriptions are inspiring Smile

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Sub 3 marathon??? WOW...that's so awesome!! Good luck Jaxn

MattJ, I hope you have a great marathon and get a PR!!!

To all you halfers, have fun and race hard! 

As for me...

nervous, nervous...feeling fat, slow, sluggish, lazy, achy, restless...

gained 3 lbs...

weather's gonna be hot and humid

doubts, doubts, doubts....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I HATE TAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HappyFeat

Hope you all run the races you have dreamed of and worked so hard to get to the starting line for.  Fleet feet and strong running for all!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

You know what? NVM. I'm not nervous. 

My first mile in last weekends 5K was a freaking 6:20!!! If I am capable of a 6:20 mile...I am more then capable of a 4 hour marathon.

Legs should have a few twinges right? Because they are restless?? Nothing HURTS...just a little tweaky. I'm supposed to feel this way? I'm supposed to have gained a few pounds?? I'm supposed to be going insane??

That's what all the taper articles that I am reading tell me anyway.

Sorry you guys are my sounding board, HA. My husband and my non-running friends are tired of hearing about it, LOL!

Vegefrog, you forgot to mention the weather.

You better go check again in case the forecast has changed.

(I am right there with you)

--

Nashville, TN

vegefrog

Vegefrog, you forgot to mention the weather.

You better go check again in case the forecast has changed.

(I am right there with you)

HA. I've been checking it like every hour. I know, I'm ridiculous Wink

Hope your weather pans out! I'm crossing my fingers for overcast and a shady course!!

TxDiverMom

I'm right there with y'all on the weather.  I'm hoping that the temp is below 70 at start time.  I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell at 50's.  There's a front coming thru but it probably won't make it till after the race. 

This is my debut half and only my 2nd race ever.  I'm hoping for sub 3 hours for my half but really worried about the weather.  The race director even sent out an email saying their have cold towels at some of the aid stations and some running buses with A/C in case people are really having heat issues...more for the marathon than the half. 

My training has been good (for me) and I went from complete out of shape couch potato in Aug 2011 to about 25 mpw recently.  I first ran the whole entire 5k distance in June, but was doing lots of run/walking since about Feb. 

I'm completely nervous now.  I should be sleeping, but not running much (3 miles yesterday and 2.5 today) ismessing with my sleep habits.

Good luck to the rest of our racers!!!

Melissa

an amazing likeness

'Twas the night before Kiawah,

and Swamp, and Rocket;

The racers are tucked snugly in bed,

tossing with visions of mile splits in their heads.

For the marathoners, the pattern is clear;

thru 18 with no fear, then onto 20 and into the dark of 5K + 5K,

a smile while finishing growing within like the Grinch's heart.

For the half, a distance we hold dear;

thru 8 with a smile and call it halfway there;

then onto 10, and just a few more miles,

where a medal awaits, and a clock holds your fate.

Running is simple, we know this is true,

one foot then the other,

and don't blow you nose on other people's shoes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The starter's gun fired,

they went straight to work,

"stop pushing, stop shoving

don't be such a jerk!"

At the start it seems easy

as everyone knows

but the end of the race

is where good training shows

They blew past the markers

hearing cowbell and whistle

And on they all flew

like an exocet missile!

But I heard them exclaim

as they ran out of sight

"We're nailing our splits,

a PR chance alright!"

2017 Goals
                        1) Run more than 231 miles
                        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

I'm speech-less in the face of such poetryBig grin

So in honor of the halfs (halves?) and the fulls we have going on here this weekend, I'm going to have another go at a 16-miler, this time on the paved bike trail.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

MattJ shows the meaning of true commitment as he takes a shortened year’s base mileage and training plan challenged by travel, family, and obligations to the line to accompany a friend in running the newly revamped Dallas (nee White Rock) marathon course.

Thanks Andy - you make it sound so noble! Smile

Packet picket up today so I am all set to go!

Packet

Consistent Grumble - I love this race. It's the one I have run the most (this will be my 4th. 2 HMs, 2FMs) but I hate the mandate on packet pickup: "Thou shalt pick up thy packet from the expo and nowhere else but the expo. Thou shalt not pick it up from a local running store nor shalt it be maileth to thee by USPS."  - Bah humbug! 2 hour round trip to downtown Dallas and $15 to park for 10 mins! Disapprove

This week's been crappy, missed a run midweek and a little too tired to care. I am definitely not as "up" for this race as I was last year but that will probably change over the next 24 hours Smile

Weather is showing 60F at the start and 70F at the end. A little on the warm side for me but I'll take it.

Mainly logged in to say GO GO GO to tomorrow's racers.

JW - Here's to a sub 2. We're all routing for you to hit that 9:09 pace....

Jaxn & Vege - Leave it all out there you two. Come back and tell us about PRs - you've both earned it.

To my Texas crew running on Sunday (in case I don't get back here tomorrow) - go big!

2017 Goals

C'mon Vege. Don't keep us in suspense..... how'd you do? Smile

2017 Goals

vegefrog

OMG. That poetry. Was amazing. I am drunk. But...I appreciate it soooooooooooooo much!

I ran a 3:51.37

Felt great. Nothing even feels bad. I might be a little sore, but that's to be expected.

I only have to drop 11 minutes for BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stayed with the 4 hour pace girl for the first18, thank you MT for telling me easyyyyyyyyyyyyy 18...

then I picked it up a bit...for 2...

Then @ 20 I let it all go! Last 6 miles were under 8:30 and my last 2 were 7:45's Smile

I think I was sandbagging a bit Smile I sang the whole last miles and I was passing people left and right. Had a HUGE smile on my face and people were coming up to me at the finish and telling me that seeing me run made them remember why they loved it so much.

Now that is a compliment!

DAMN I love to run!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all ya'lls support!!! I was thinking of you while I was running Smile I wanted to have good report to give!