Half Marathon Trainers

Hoping I am ready... (Read 434 times)

I am one of those stupid individuals that has a tendency to overtrain & injure herself. But I'm good at it & I figure if you are good at it, you should perfect it, right?? Shy Anyways, my weekly mileage has been pretty low the last couple of months. My runs lately have been laced with...crap!! I am entered w/ zoom-zoom to run the Grand Rapids HM on 10/29. Now I'm wondering if I'll really be ready?? I'll be pissed if I'm not as: 1) entry wasn't cheap, 2) I can't stand giving up on a goal, & 3) I'm stupid! Blush So, looking at my weekly mileage, anyone have any recommendations for making sure I can still run this race? I'm going to try to get a 8 or 9 mile in today if I have time & if I don't croak in the process. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!! Smile Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(((cyber-hugs))) Just remember that my regular and race pace are slower than yours, so you don't have to worry about me pushing you too hard on race day. I think you will do better than you expect, really. But if it comes down to the wire and you're really not ready I would definitely contact the race director about allowing you to credit your registration fee towards next year's race. He seems like a pretty cool guy, so I would think that would be a viable option. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Eryn. This is coming up pretty quick! My best suggestions if you really still want to run in it is 1) forget any time goal you had. 2) don't hurt yourself these next two weeks trying to "cram" in all the training you think you should have done. 3) remember that walking is your friend and do it on all the hills as well as the water stations. 4) just think of it as a long run. Okay, a really long run. Wink 5) be prepared to hurt for a while after. 6) enjoy the experience and... if she'll slow down enough for you Wink Zoomy's company. Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

I have to agree with Janell here! Definetly forget any goal time you may have had before , don't look into trying to make up milage you have missed! Good luck hun!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

bas

I'm more or less in the same situation. The only difference is that my HM is this sunday already Roll eyes Today someone at my club asked me what I was aiming for. I answered 'to get to the finish in one piece'. I try to forget about other goals I normally would have. Will I be able to really forget the time goal that I posted on wingz' virtual race page? As I said, I'm trying to do that... Also, I am trying not to make up for the lost training hours and distance. Anyway, I *am* going to run this half marathon. Not starting would make me feel much worse than running "too slow". Finishing a slow half marathon still means conquering those 21.1 km! And my guess is that you will be running your half marathon too, and for the same reason. Wink bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

You've got it Bas!! I'll be running & exactly for that reason. I have tossed any goals out the window that I may have had. Luckily, I hadn't spent too much time doing the math yet, so I'm not obsessed with a number. Survival is my goal at this point! Thanks for the advice guys. I was already looking at the calendar & trying to see how many miles I could cram in. Luckily, I was in a time crunch & couldn't do that 8-9mi run today. I am going to do a long run tomorrow, but within reason & while attempting to listen to my body when it screams, "quit you dumb bitch!!". Oh & a little confession...my time crunch was a result of too much time on the RA boards this afternoon!! Blush
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                DItto to what bas said - do NOT try to cram in miles now. It's your call and if you do the whole thing walking - so what - you'll have done a 1/2 while there's a lot of people sleeping in bed!! lisa
                Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                bas

You've got it Bas!! I'll be running & exactly for that reason.
                  OK!!! I knew you would! Big grin I will report back on my experience with this sunday's Half Marathon Survival trip, maybe that will help you prepare yours next week.
                  Oh & a little confession...my time crunch was a result of too much time on the RA boards this afternoon!! Blush
                  You mean RA is bad for your running? I wonder what eric will have to say to that Wink bas

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks for the advice guys. I was already looking at the calendar & trying to see how many miles I could cram in. Luckily, I was in a time crunch & couldn't do that 8-9mi run today. I am going to do a long run tomorrow, but within reason & while attempting to listen to my body when it screams, "quit you dumb bitch!!". Oh & a little confession...my time crunch was a result of too much time on the RA boards this afternoon!! Blush
                    Read it again, Bas... the RA was a good thing! It kept her from going out and doing something stupid and possibly harmful! Three cheers for the RA addiction!!! Cool Cool Cool

Wingz

Professional Noob

It kept her from going out and doing something stupid and possibly harmful!
                      Meant, of course, in the nicest possible way! Tongue

bas

Read it again, Bas... the RA was a good thing! It kept her from going out and doing something stupid and possibly harmful! Three cheers for the RA addiction!!! Cool Cool Cool
                        Ah! You're right of course... eric works in sublte ways Smile Smile