Half Marathon Trainers

Interpid Racers - Nov 9 & 10 (Read 14 times)

an amazing likeness

As we creep into the middle of November, the signs of coming winter are all around on RA – posts on headlamps and running pants have sprouted in the main forums; Turkey Trots and Jungle Bell are the common race themes, and the NY marathon marks the last big event of the running year. Just normal rhythms of the calendar.

Here in the northeast the days are shorter by over 5 hours from summer’s peak and the gales of November are being felt. It’s the time of year when runners deal with anything from 50s and warm sunshine to snow and sleet and often these come one day after the other.

After a busy two-race weekend last week, hog4life leads us off Saturday morning at the 25th running of Huntsville half. Course map shows a nice out-back section on a greenway – these are nice sections to get to see the other runners as you pass on the way to and from the turnaround cone.

Update >>> ---> Nra4life will be getting a guaranteed PR as he tackles his first10K.  Looking at recent workouts...I'm going to predict a 55:30.  10K is a great tempo test distance, Josh...start easy for 1st mile, then build slowly to the 5mi marker..skirting right along at about 90% 5K effort, then hang on for the last mile.

I’ll be heading south to historic Portsmouth NH for the Seacoast half. Of the 20 or so different half marathon courses I’ve raced, this is solidly my favorite course – it passes through rural forested roads, ocean vistas, and historic seaport. Of course all that’s out of mind as the final 1.5 mi is all uphill and sucks the life out of you.

Don’t know what’s up with the other runners, but I think many of you see them in other groups, so wish them well.

Nov 9 buchy2009 Nashville Marathon 26.2 mi Nashville, TN
    Nov 9 hog4life Huntsville Half 13.1 mi Huntsville, AL
    Nov 9 nra4life Breakaway 10K 10K Searcy, AR
    Nov 10 Docket_Rocket All State Half 13.1 mi Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Nov 10 mhoppe1 All State Half 13.1 mi Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Nov 10 MilkTruck Seacoast Half 13.1 mi Portsmouth, NH

Sending best wishes to all our racers and trainers for some easy miles; the strength to hold on to your goals through the dark miles, and following winds.  Have good runs!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

Good luck, runners!

Good luck and good weather to all of you.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

redleaf

Good luck everyone!

And MT that sounded so lovely until that last phrase there...uphill at the end seems unnecessarily cruel to me.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Have great races everyone!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

Bump.  I missed nra4life's debut 10K tomorrow....I've updated the list. Enjoy the PR nra4life!

Bump.  I missed nra4life's debut 10K tomorrow....I've updated the list. Enjoy the PR nra4life!

Thanks for the advice!

Forecast is party cloudy and mid 40s.  Good day for a race.

hog4life

Quick check in, completed my 6th half in 1:56:05. I get a RR up later or tomorrow with details. The day ended at 19.3 miles. My feet held up pretty good, but sore now.

Hope everyone else had a great run.

hog4life

RR is up in the sticky.

an amazing likeness

Ran a 1:40:28 at Seacoast Half yesterday. Here’s a quick summary…

Headed out the door at some ungodly early hour for the hour drive south to NH under concrete grey November skies, light rain and 35F temps – not promising weather. Soon the rain got steadier and the temp went down a few more degrees making for some slick sections driving and now I’m getting worried about getting there on time, in addition to the yuck factor of standing around in 35F rain before running 13 miles in 35F rain.

All in all…not in a upbeat mood about the day’s prospects. Then about 10 miles away from Portsmouth, the skies brightening, the rain ended, and the temp moved up to 42F. Whew.

I’ll spare you all the details of arriving pretty late, parking lot full, go to overflow parking lots, hustle to pick up number (at 8:15 for 8:30 start), no time to do anything but get to the start line and tie shoes. National anthem…pause…and we’re off.

First 1.5 mi trend downhill (and we’ll be back), so just try to warm up and ease into the run after the mad dash to the start line. By mile 3, I’m warmed up and just try to dial in a steady turnover to finish the first 5mi segment.

Splits for miles 1 – 5 are 7:41 – 7:33 – 7:28 – 7:28 – 7:32

There’s a bit of rolly-polly in the next 5mi segment and I decide I need to ease up a bit and get some energy conservation miles logged. I remember thinking at mile 6 that my legs felt like we were at mile 9. Just past 7 we loop around a traffic circle which is the major spectator area…lots of energy, and then just before 8 we peel off on a loop through the town of New Castle and my favorite section of the course which will take us through mile 12.

Heading into mile 9 we climb and cross a small bridge which is a metal grate surface and most of us take the sidewalk to stay off the wet and slippery metal. Sidewalk is single-file and for some reason, the runner in front of me just stops at the end of the bridge. I return the favor by plowing over him and stumbling along for a few yards, my rhythm totally broken.  It takes me a while to get back on track.

You can see the energy conservation (7:28s became 7:38s) and bridge crash in splits for miles 6–10:  7:38 – 7:36 – 7:34 – 7:43 – 7:36

For the final 5K there’s nothing to report other than I’m working harder, but getting slower. Fading shows in the splits as 7:35s become 7:40s. We do about 1mi on a causeway along the water and the wind off the water is cold, but I’m slowly gaining on folks and picking off a few.  I focused on keeping my turnover because I know we’ll be going back up that downhill section from the start and short strides will be key to not giving up too much.

Final 5K splits: 7:42 – 7:40 – 7:37 and then 7:02 for the final push to the finish.

Of the 20+ different half marathon courses I've run, this is one of best....a great mix of rural New England countryside, seaside vistas, old seaport, and salt marshes. Well organized race, well marshaled and spectator friendly...about 1200 runners...it’s just right in many ways. Highly recommended.

4 half marathons and a 10K in the last 5 weeks...been a good fall season. But I’m a bit worn down, so time to just jog 'em and log 'em for a while.

an amazing likeness

Quick check in, completed my 6th half in 1:56:05. I get a RR up later or tomorrow with details. The day ended at 19.3 miles. My feet held up pretty good, but sore now.

Hope everyone else had a great run.

That's great news on all fronts -- the half, meeting your 20 mile goal and not being knocked off your feet (literally).  Good stuff!

Congrats Milktruck -great race!

Ready, go.