Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - March 15 and 16 (Read 19 times)

Great job hog!  Wahoo!

So close Zelanie - it's hard to run a race when you spend miles solo.  Next time....

Ready, go.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, Mitch.

Great job, Z!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rondog65

3/16 Rondog65 - New Bedford Half Marathon, MA Results 1:59:34

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

redleaf

Quick check in, I'll report more later, unofficial PR of 23:20!

Woohoo! And I was less than 10 minutes behind you Smile

Short version: Old PR: November 17, 2013 33:06

New PR: March 16, 2014 32:55.04 - after my lack of running lately I'll definitely take it Smile

Long version:

I hate 5ks.

I do, however, love Sunday morning races through the heart of downtown. I work there, I lived there, I can picture each road and every turn. Just comforting really.

So it was very cold and very windy - especially the straight stretch along Wellington St. You're basically in a wind tunnel thanks to all the tall buildings.

So we all started outside Steamwhistle Brewery - they're one of the local breweries that sort of re-started craft brewing in the city. They only make a pilsner but it's good. Anyway, there was a bit of an uphill for the 1st km; then the straight flat bit along Wellington for one and a half km, then turn around and one and a half back into the wind, then a small uphill and then a nice downhill to a straight away at the end. Did I mention it was very cold? It was -13c (9f) when I left the house. It was -15c (5f) downtown with a "feels like" of -23c (-9f). Sigh. I was underdressed. I lost my toes in the middle 2 km but they came back by the end so that was good.

The garmin has a hard time getting a reading downtown so I was basically running by feel which means I ran "fast." When I noticed I was slowing down a little, I tried to run faster. I didn't want to walk so instead I slowed down to a "jog" a couple of times. I did end up walking at the turn around mostly because a huge wind came out of nowhere. I mean seriously, it would've been nice to have had that at my back for the 1.5 km I then ran headfirst into it for!

BUT a PR is a PR right? 11 seconds and I moved from 33 minutes to 32 Smile

I revamped the training plan for the next 6 weeks leading up to the April 27 half.I dropped it down from the highest mileage to the lowest (there are only three options). I'll do my best but today, even mostly undertrained, I remembered (kinda) why running isn't always stupid. Every time I thought "oh screw it" I got voices in my head saying "no no no, you have to go tell the trainers how you did you don't want to lame out" and it helped. So thanks.

(MTA to update the c to fs 'cause they were slightly off)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

You know...this is what we always had in mind when we started the weekly race threads -- to celebrate the reward of success which emerges from all the hard training miles and time.

Great running everyone! Way to go!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

Congrats red and to everyone else!

I love participating in this group.

Nana_

Sunday was LongRun day for me and I was up to a 2.5 miler

so I hopped into the local Patty's Day 5K and walked the first 0.6 and ran the remainder as my 2.5

(run-walk Gallo-slowpoke)

And I got a new PR up from last week's PR

2 weeks done, 29 to go until Fall HM for this beginner

redleaf

Sunday was LongRun day for me and I was up to a 2.5 miler

so I hopped into the local Patty's Day 5K and walked the first 0.6 and ran the remainder as my 2.5

(run-walk Gallo-slowpoke)

And I got a new PR up from last week's PR

2 weeks done, 29 to go until Fall HM for this beginner

Good job!

And nothing wrong with gallo-walking. I do 10:1s for pretty much everything.

HF #4362

Nice job Red

Way to go Jo - you will be there in no time.

I posted in the race report thread. Short version - I finished uninjured, but it was brutal - cold and windy and slower than I wanted.  Only way to go now is up.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Nice job Red

Way to go Jo - you will be there in no time.

I posted in the race report thread. Short version - I finished uninjured, but it was brutal - cold and windy and slower than I wanted.  Only way to go now is up.

Crap - I always do this backwards don't I? Post in here I mean, instead of the race report thread. D'oh

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Crap - I always do this backwards don't I? Post in here I mean, instead of the race report thread. D'oh

I think it's really great that racers post an update on their race result in the Intrepid Racers weekly topic -- this way the results are in the same topic as the race entry and we can all see how you did.  And a race summary makes it even neater so we learn how your race went down.

In the past we would save the RR for something major (like a goal race, or some cool destination) and just talk about the work-a-day races in the weekly topic. But there's complete flexibility for what you, personally, want to do.

(But do at least post your time and any awards in the weekly Intrepid Racer topic so we get those noted in the calendar for the historical record....)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I never know where to put it.

Here are the official stats of my race:

overall place::2717  147/152  F5059 BARBARA MEDEIROS     51 F 2:45:19 12:37   34:42 1:10:55 1:49:10  Gun time: 2:46:55

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189