Half Marathon Trainers

redleaf's training thread (Read 83 times)

redleaf

Well (probably because of how I feel right now after my first interval session of the season...pooped!) I wouldn't do the intervals and long runs on back to back days. Is there any way to  fit in the interval run on monday or tuesday? They do take some time (at my pace) with the warm up/ cool down...

I don't think so, Mondays I have a 6:30 am yoga bootcamp and I'm already booked Tuesday and Wednesday nights. With Q and household stuff I've already taken my allotted time away for running/fitness. All my other runs will either be to get to work, before Q and Toby get up or on the weekends when I can fit them in. And I don't really want to switch one to Friday - then I'd be running 4 days in a row (Tues-Wed-Th-Fri)

I think that's why I am leaning towards intervals on Saturday though (intervals being the higher "quality" workout) and the long run on Sundays - which would give me practice running on tired legs.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

You are a busy lady!

For me, I'd prioritize the long run. I barely got through them in the last cycle, and because I felt tired and they ended so poorly I lost confidence.

Right now, you have more consistency in your legs, so just try and see if it works for you.

A

Recalculating...

redleaf

Thought of something. Y'all don't have to comment on this I'm just trying to see what would work. I work well with a plan so I like having everything sorted out.

The pattern of Hall's plan:

1 - Off

2 - Intervals

3 - Off or XT or easy

4 - easy alternating with Tempo

5 - tempo alternating with easy

6 - Off or XT or easy alternating with Race Sim

7 - long alternating with easy

My new idea would start my week on Monday from day 3 with a wrinkle.

3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 2 - 1 - 7

It means I'd always have a day off from running between intervals and long run BUT every other week I'd be doing intervals the day after a medium-long run (Hall's Race Sim)

Monday am: Yoga bootcamp

Tuesday am: short run (from day care to work) it's only about 4 km; I'll add on distance as I go to keep it between 30-45 minutes; alternating with Hard Tempo

Tuesday evening: soccer (keeper)

Wednesday am: tempo runs alternating with easy

Wednesday evening: swimming lessons

(Hall's Plan Friday)

Thursday (either am or evening): alternates between short easy runs and what Hall calls "race sims"

Friday: am: Intervals

lunch - alternating between yoga and swimming

Saturday - pm: yoga class

Sunday - long run alternating with easy

HF #4362

Whew, It took me awhile to figure it out, but the above looks better, only one back to back over 2 weeks. I love a schedule. I feel like the Hall plan is a 2 week cycle, so I'm doing 9 runs over the 14 days. Last week I could barely hold tempo pace on Thursday for a 1.5 miles, uh oh.

This week (week 2) I'm doing

M (today) totally off, legs are tired from long run Sunday and beach day on Saturday.

T interval (treadmill)

W (0ff, xt, short run) 4 mile walk

R hard tempo (treadmill)

F easy run

S long run - some at pace

D XT - gym stuff including rowing

I'm inspired by you to do some other stuff  for cross training. The ladies in my IRL locker room have said the spin class is good. I may try that for the odd week's xt, requires getting up at 5:30.

Let us know how it's going, A

Recalculating...

redleaf

yea, I've been told I over-complicate things Smile

I've got it all entered now. I've decided that I don't want to necessarily kill myself so I removed all the "race sim" stuff. I haven't actually ever really gone through a plan from start to finish so I figure even leaving off those long-ish runs I'll still be miles ahead of where I am now. (Funny how I don't think "kilometers ahead" though eh?)

This week is all just easy runs to get time on my feet. Week 1 of the Ryan Hall plan is next week. I set it up so I do weeks 1 and 2 and then repeat them and then keep going to the half.

HF #4362