Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - June (Read 567 times)

Hmmm, that reminds me, we need a June training thread if there isn't one.

Starting this as Meg told me to!

Registered for my first FULL Marathon today. It's in December.Scary stuff!

I'm up in DC this week - catch up with you all at the weekend.

Happy Trails. 

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Wow, Matt........a FULL, huh?!?!?!?  You have more guts than I, sir!!!  Best of luck to you and your training until then.

I just had my last planned race (10K) until mid August.  I think I am going to take it down a notch.....maybe only 20 mpw for the next month or so, then kick it back up to prepare for three races back to back to back in August.  I have a HM the second weekend in Aug, then a three leg mountain relay (trail and road) third week in August, then to cap the month I go to Portland for the Hood to Coast (again, 3 leg relay).  I think a nice easy June may be just what I need to then pick it back up to finish August strong.

I have also been throwing in some trail runs here and there, so I may take this summer as an opportunity to get more of those miles in.

Well, good luck to everyone!!! My June has started off just about perfect.  I hope yours has too!!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Tortoise

I'm a newbie, dropping in.

My first HM is in September, at the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow, which I started proper training for last week -- it's  using a mishmash of various training programs, with some personal tweaking, so God knows how it's going to work! I'll be slow, but I'm really excited.

Plans for June are to keep building mileage and time on my legs, and extending long runs.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Hi Beth! Great avatar pictue- a Scottish loch?

I just changed mine to a pic. of Milford Sound in New Zealand, no personal connection, just liked the picture.

I have resolved my employment problem, starting a new job in 2 weeks, not my first choice of career, but at least it is closer to home, only 12 miles each way instead of 30!

Like Matt, I am thinking of doing a full marathon this fall, at least Matt has been running consistently.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Welcome, Beth.

Congrats on your 10K's Matt and Sean. 

Matt, I've also been considering a full, but think I better wait until next spring.

Let us know how the training goes, especially as those long runs get longer and longer.

I'm hoping to start stretching out my longs runs as well to gain a little insight on what it will be like training for the marathon, but also, just because I'd like to.

Hello All ! I'm new to the half training. Just did my first 10k and am going to start training for a half that is in October. I don't really have a time in mind, more of just a run to have fun and finish. I'll worry about time closer to the actual race. I have two 5k races coming up, one in July and one in Aug, then a 10 mile race coming up in August. I am excited to start the bridge from 10k to half! Any tips?  or links to good training programs? I used the RW training coach online thing.

Welcome Beth & Heather!

Congratulations are in order for Sean, Matt and awaldvogel on your recent race PRs.  Awesome!

My friends have been pushing me to run a marathon this fall, but will save it for 2011 or later.  I really enjoy the 1/2 distance right now.  I have a couple more on my schedule for this fall, one in August and the second in November.  I'd like to earn an automatic qualifier for the NY Marathon by running a sub 1:23 half this year.  It's a pretty aggressive goal, so we'll see I guess.  I've been using the Runner's World smartcoach program the past 6 weeks and have upped my mileage to 40+/wk.  So far, so good.   I've adapted it slightly to fit my needs and have listened to my body.  I think that's key with any running program.  

I actually used a tredmill for the first time on Friday.  I've been scared to death of them my entire life. Don't ask me why. I conquered that phobia.  It's been so brutally hot and humid in Miami that I've had to resort to the tredmill or just wither in the heat.  Ran 6 miles Friday night and 13+ on Saturday.  I actually enjoyed the long run as I didn't have to worry about how I would hold up outside (it was already 90F & very humid at 7am).

Good luck to everyone in June with your training & upcoming races!  Your race posts are motivating.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm off to a slow start this month. I haven't done a ton of runs although I've been doing a lot more stretching and core stuff (yoga mainly.) I'm feeling good about it though. The week after a race is usually a slow week for me. This week, I'll get back to work. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Went out for a 5 mile easy run tonight with my running partner. I tried to pick up the pace a little bit.. it felt good. I'm a mess when I don't get out to run.

Hi all, Congrats aon some great runs there guys!!!

Last week was recovery week - not that as a newbie I really know what recovery means - and it seems like I've discovered an increased speed since my HM.  I had a 25 s improvement on an 11 k run over a 2 week period and my shorter runs seem to be consistently faster and my pace more consistent.  Now if I can keep it up and break the 1 hr barrier on the 10 k run!

I am trying to develop a plan for running to develop a better base over the next few months before I actual train for a 2nd HM in the Fall.  Also I'm looking for some shorter races for over the summer - like to try the 10 mile distance for a while.

I', looking for some good running reading material over the summer any suggestions?

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm looking for some good running reading material over the summer any suggestions?

Are you looking for reference/informational reading or just entertaining reading? I really liked Marathon Woman (Kathrine Switzer) and Born to Run (Christopher McDougall).  The first is about Kathrine Switzer and the rise of women in running. The second is about a tribe of long distance runners in Mexico. Both were entertaining reads.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Reference reading material preferably but entertaining running reading material wouldn't go astray either.  I've taken this semester off from my graduate studies and I'm missing reading. 
                          2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010

H folks

Sorry I haven't posted for a bit. Things have been hectic (but more b***hing about that later), anyway:

Yes, Sean & Simon, I'm going to do a full. The Dallas White Rock on the first weekend in December. I've run the half there a few times and figured I have never been in better running shape that I am now, if I don't do one I'll probably regret it.  I'm not abandoning the HM, I love that distance, just want to do a full marahon once!

C'mon Simon &  awaldvogel - you know you want to do one too!

... and Jeff, at 40+ miles a week you are almost there man! come join me!

Cool thing happened with my entry: I was following the Facebook page for the White Rock Marathon and they ran a promo where if you entered the race on the day it opened and used the promo code from Facebook you were entered to win a $50 gift card @ a local running store... and I won! So when I get time I'm off to spend my $50 on completely unnecessary running techy stuff at my local RunOn store!

Beth - Welcome! Looks like you are building mileage nicely. Keep on coming back and telling us how you are getting on.

Heather from the KCMO welcome too! I see you were in on the Hal Higdon thread. from 10k to the HM it's all about increasing your weekly mileage. You can do it!

Kathy - for reference reading I would recommend Bob Glover's books maybe a little bit dry but, as a runner newbie I like 'em. When people start talking about stuff I don't understand, that's where I turn to look.

So June for me started as a crap shoot from a training stand point. Work has been busy and when I have not been on the road it's been work until ~1am then up at 6:30am to get back to the office on time. Running has just taken a back seat for a week or two. I was getting a little down about missing miles and falling behind the 1500 mile pace bunny until this morning when my kids came out to the 5k I was running (report in the race reports thread). Having them there reminded me that running isn't something I need to get all bent out of shape about.

...that and I ran a PR in the 5k and I know I'll catch up with that darn bunny when I have to do full marathon training in Sept/Oct/Nov!

I'm off to Finland for 2 days tomorrow. catch up with you all when I get back.

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Good job on the 5k pr. Matt.

Kathy, I enjoyed reading ``Duel in the Sun`` about the race between Alberto Salazar and Dick Beardsley- actually this summary does not come close to describing the dramatic  ``story behind the story``.

A non-running book I have enjoyed recently is ``Playing the enemy``, which is the story behind the movie Invictus, about Nelson Mandela and the winning of the rugby World Cup which symbolically unified the nation.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I am new to this forum and really to the whole concept of using forums to discuss training, races, ectetera.

I am going to run my first half at the Air Force HM in September.  Longest distance that I have raced to date is a five miler back in November.  My traning has been inconsistant for a number of reasons, however, my plan is to run five miles each MWF and Saturdays or Sundays running my long run.  Speed and hill work mixed in during the week day runs.

Does any one have any advice about what to do or probably more importantly, what not to do as I work toward my goal these next 90+ days? 

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." Jesse Owens "If you're not impacting people, if you're not giving people the tools to do something for themselves, what are you about?" Bob Babbitt