Half Marathon Trainers

travel to race (Read 16 times)

Hi all-

does anyone have experience/advice for long distance travel for a HM? I'm considering a race a 10 hour flight away. My thoughts were to fly overnight on Thursday for a Sunday race, and then enjoy the following week abroad without worries about upcoming race. Any advice appreciated.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

For me, the key night of sleep before a race is Friday night if the race is on Sunday. I'm not sure how that might change if I was crossing a few time zones. I suspect I might like an extra day and maybe fly out Wednesday overnight. I haven't done any super long distance travel though so that's just a guess.

It sounds like it would be quite the destination race. Where are you heading?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Yes, you might be right about that extra day. I'm trying to balance time off with not hurting the race too much.

I'm looking to either do Munich or Drei Länder HM (the full runs through 3 countries, the half 2). Both are on October 9th. It has been a long time goal to do some racing elsewhere, life just keeps getting in the way.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Those both sound like pretty amazing races.

I'd like to run Detroit Free Press International or Niagara because both are cross-border races.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Like you've said in your opening post -- I've found it is best to arrive, run the race asap and get it out of the way. That way, you don't have to deal with worries about loosing fitness, deny yourself local food & drink, worry about too much time walking, etc, etc.  Most importantly, your traveling companion(s) don't have to deal with you not want to do things or do odd things to be ready for the race.

The few times I've gone on long trips to a race, I haven't tried to acclimate to the local time or catch up on travel sleep, etc.  Arrive, hotel, run next day. Then deal with jetlag.  Does require a focus on hydration during travel, however.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You've hit on all the concerns. I'm glad to hear you've made it work.