Half Marathon Trainers

Gel advice (Read 334 times)

ud32

First HM in 1 week. Course is providing PowerBar Gels and Cytomax on the course. I am trying for a 2 hour finish. Any suggestions on when to consume gel(s) and/or Cytomax ?
      This months Runners World says to start by 45 minutes. I have read other suggestions to start @ 30 mins. However, have you tried these products before? You do not want to take them the first time on the day of your race. You need to experiment with them first and see how you react to them, how they react toyour stomach etc. I tried the Power Gel for the first time last week and didn't care for it. I had no problems stomach wise though. You might want to consider other things such as Sport beans, Sharkies or energy bars.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

IMKY13 finish!!

When I run HM's, I usually start the morning off with a banana and some toast with peanut butter. About 1/2 hour before the start of the race I eat some sport jelly beans (usually the ones with caffeine). Then I'll take some Chocolate Excel Gel (again, has caffeine) at miles 4.5 and 9.0.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

ud32

I have tried gels before on some training runs - not sure I needed them, but just wanted to try them. For the most part, no stomach discomfort. Cytomax drink I have never tried. I just bought a bottle and will try it before a short run this week since I have no longer runs left until the HM. Paul - your pre-race banna and toast/pbutter. How far before the race do you eat ? I was thinking two packets of instant oatmeal about 2 hours before the race ??
            I did not want to get into a big debate with Trent over on the main board, but Both my Husband and I have trained with Cytomax all summer long. We are in the South, and it has been deadly humid this summer, and if not for Cytomax, I am sure those runs that were over 10 miles would not have happened. Yes, it is meant for nutrition, but if you are racing in hot and humid conditions, you will deplete your stored glycogen pretty damn fast if you are a newer runner and not conditioned to run in adverse conditions. Anyway, I like Cytomax because compared to Gatorade, it does not churn my stomach to drink it. It comes in lots of flavors, and is quite pleasant tasting. Gatorade makes me literally puke. Dead

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

IMKY13 finish!!

Paul - your pre-race banna and toast/pbutter. How far before the race do you eat ? I was thinking two packets of instant oatmeal about 2 hours before the race ??
              Cheffy...Usually about 1 to 2 hours before the race starts....typically closer to the two hour mark. Depending on where the race is, I may not always be able to stick to exactly 2 hours...but it's usually fairly close to that. As I stated in my previous post, I usually take a packet of Accel Gel around mile 4.5. And I try to get some gatorade in during my training run as well. Like yesterday, during my 13 mile run...I run on this course that is 5.8 miles long, plus a 2 mile spur. So I like to do that 7.8 mile loop and get to my car and refill my water belt and drink some Gatorade. then it's off to run another 5.2 miles (I'll just stop before the 5.8 is complete ad use that last .6 miles as a cool down) MTA=correct a couple of typo's

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

Prince of Fatness

I'll go against the grain and say that you don't need any of that stuff for a half marathon, especially if you plan on finishing in about 2 hours or less. I haven't used them for any the HM's I have run and have been fine. But then again I don't hit water stops either unless it is real hot out. That said if I were to do it I would think it would have to be early enough in the race to realize the benefits. I'd also make sure I tried them out first in training to make sure they agree with me.

Not at it at all. 

IMKY13 finish!!

I'll go against the grain and say that you don't need any of that stuff for a half marathon
                  Ya know, you may be right. They may or may not really help physically....but it sure helps mentally. And they say running is 10% physical and 90% mental. So I am doing whatever it takes to help my head go the full distance.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all.