Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers- March. (Read 729 times)

Time to start a new month.

I have only done cross training, and a bit of snow shovelling recently, partly because of the Olympics, partly because of a fall on an icy sidewalk while running at night, and partly because I am busy looking for a new job.

The company I have been with for 20 years is being sold and I do not much like the new owners, nor are they offering me enough to make it worth staying...so i have been preoccupied with other matters.

Hope things are going well for you guys!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Yes, time for a new month and my first race of the year is this weekend.  Have to see if I am making any progress towards that way too optimistic goal I have set - to be under 1:40 for the HM by year end.
        Good luck in your upcoming race, Happyfeet.

Good luck to you, too, Simon.......working for a company you like were you can be happy is certainly a good thing.   I am fortunate in that regard.

As for me........got a darned head cold and haven't run for last 6 days.  I have 6 miles planned for Tuesday morning and need to get two solid 28 to 30 mile weeks in here before my March 20 HM.  My goal is to just have fun, but certainly a PR is on my mind.......generally a slight down-hill course, so I guess it is possible.

Cheers to everyone......happy and healthy running this month!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

sAc238

Zeus

Been working on upping the mileage.  A bit hard in Chicago with the weather but trying to bear with it outside and deal with all the new year's resolution folks on the treadmills at the gym.

Signed up for 3 half's so far this year.  Hopefully staying healthy and increased mileage will get me under the 1:30 mark.

Best to all this year.

2nd life PR's: 19:24 5k / 39:52 10k / 1:27:36 1/2 mar / 3:08:03 marathon

Well managed a "Long run" of 8 miles today, which I guess is good idea since "running" a 15k in 5 days.

I have never been so unprepared for a race in my life, but will pin on the bib and give it the old college try.  Should be knocking serious time off a very soft PR of 1:21, but will be lucking to get any kind of PR, as will probably be running at MP, at least for the first half.

Goal Half is 5/16 and May sounds so far away in feb, but so close in March   Have some serious work the next 3 months.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Prince of Fatness

Goal Half is 5/16 and May sounds so far away in feb, but so close in March   Have some serious work the next 3 months.

I hear you. My half is April 25, only 7 weeks from Sunday.  My mileage has been OK, but I was sick and we had quite a bit of snow so I haven't done much in the way of workouts.  If I can get some solid training in for the next 5 - 6 weeks I think that I'll be OK.  I have a 10 mile race March 27 so I'll have a better idea of where I am then.

Not at it at all. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Finished my goal half Saturday, The Cowtown (Fort Worth, TX), with a pb, but ran it wrong, dumb and painful. I'll take the pb and learn from the rest of it. I left home early to get good street parking spot had a 100 cal protein drink and a 100 cal bagel with peanut butter around 6 am. Race start was 7:30, with staggered corrals. Temp was 35F, no breeze. I was in the last corral and didn't get to the starting line for over 18 min. Went with the flow - mistake 1, to fast. Last of 3 bio breaks was at gun time. Knew I had time and they were right where I was starting from. After 3/4 mi my bladder started talking to me. I was distracted by it (and angry, dang I peed three times in 15 minutes until 7:30) and ran to fast. Passed the first two water stops with bladder filling. Peeled off after mi 4 and ran into a Braums and emptied. What a relief. On top of that I had started to feel really hungry during mi 2. Started eating shot blocks. Being a back of the packer the middle water stops ran out of PowerAde so no additional nutrition and by mi 8 I was out of what I was carrying. Then we hit some steep hills - that was it. I was dead. Kept on going but it became painful and I was overheating. Temp had risen into by 20 deg and it was mid 50's. We ran mi 9 & 10 in almost full sun! My brain was fried and I forgot to take my ls shirt off. Just kept on trucking. Was saved by mi 11 water stop, PowerAde, bagel pieces, and bananas. Was able to increase pace at mi 12 but got slowed by short steep hill 1/2mi from finish. I figured screw it and just easy paced it to the finish line. Painfully exhasuted, but a pb from a dumb and stupid run!

OK so now to implement training lessons learned. Longer long runs, some uphill running. Not sure how to handle bladder issues - am in middle of transitioning meds. Haven't picked next target, other than a 10k the end of March and a 5k in April - both charity races. Next half might be first wk of Nov - anniversary of my first. Not sure if I will do one before that. But will continue to train like I am.

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Good Job Bobev .... Its been a great journey for you the last few years ... congrats!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I hope everything works out well for you Simon.  I went through the new job process last year around this time, so I know how you feel. 

Good luck in your upcoming race, Happyfeet. 

I have an upcoming HM on Sunday in South Beach.  I was a little worried about the weather since it can get really humid, but it looks like a mid 50s start temp.  Hopefully it won't be too windy either.   I hope to set a PR but half the course is on a bridge with some steep inclines.  I feel good about my training the past 6 weeks, so we'll see. 

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a bit, and decided I’d bore fill you in on my status.

I started running a year ago to loose weight.  The weight has dropped nicely (40+ pounds) with about 10 to go (my wife thinks I’m getting too small, but she needs to get over it ).  Anyhow, over the past year I have developed an appetite for running.  It’s not totally about weight loss now, but all the other goodies you get by putting one foot in front of the other.  I’m 44 years old, and have pretty much been overweight since grad scholol when I did a handful of sprint tri’s in 1990.

My recent racing background includes three 5ks and a 10k.  This year, I would like to run 1000 miles and complete a HM.  I am signed up for the Martian HM on April 10th.  If that goes well (< 2 hours), I’ll consider a full in the fall, but since I’m taking a long term approach to running, I will probably schedule another half for the fall and save the full for next spring in order to get a bigger/better base.

I’ve been following the Hal Higdon Intermediate HM training plan (with the days switrched around to accommodate my schedule) and I’m about half way through.  So far so good.  I’ve been injury free (knock on wood) and I’m really looking forward to the weather in Michigan improving and getting back outside.

So there really isn’t a point to my post other than to avail myself to you all as another runner with a HM goal.  I enjoy reading all the posts and encouraging/helpful people in this Group and on RunningAhead in general.

Thanks for reading, Dave

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

sAc238

Zeus

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a bit, and decided I’d bore fill you in on my status.

I started running a year ago to loose weight.  The weight has dropped nicely (40+ pounds) with about 10 to go (my wife thinks I’m getting too small, but she needs to get over it ).  Anyhow, over the past year I have developed an appetite for running.  It’s not totally about weight loss now, but all the other goodies you get by putting one foot in front of the other.  I’m 44 years old, and have pretty much been overweight since grad scholol when I did a handful of sprint tri’s in 1990.

My recent racing background includes three 5ks and a 10k.  This year, I would like to run 1000 miles and complete a HM.  I am signed up for the Martian HM on April 10th.  If that goes well (< 2 hours), I’ll consider a full in the fall, but since I’m taking a long term approach to running, I will probably schedule another half for the fall and save the full for next spring in order to get a bigger/better base.

I’ve been following the Hal Higdon Intermediate HM training plan (with the days switrched around to accommodate my schedule) and I’m about half way through.  So far so good.  I’ve been injury free (knock on wood) and I’m really looking forward to the weather in Michigan improving and getting back outside.

So there really isn’t a point to my post other than to avail myself to you all as another runner with a HM goal.  I enjoy reading all the posts and encouraging/helpful people in this Group and on RunningAhead in general.

Thanks for reading, Dave

Great job.  I'd continue on with Hal.  Great book for those who are in a similar position as yourself.  The only reason to leave it is if you are a numbers nerd and want to get precise and technical with something like Dr. Daniels.  In the end, both books are teaching the same thing ... the more you run (safely) the fast you will become.  Stay away from injury and inevitability you will get better. 

I am in a similar position as you with losing a lot of weight over the past year / wife thinks too skinny / desire and want for running.  If you keep up with adding miles, 1000 shouldn't be a problem and you will start peeling off your goals and creating new ones.

Good luck

2nd life PR's: 19:24 5k / 39:52 10k / 1:27:36 1/2 mar / 3:08:03 marathon

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading, Dave

My pleasure, welcome to the group!

I've been running about 8 months now and I've lost 20+ lbs, but so far dw hasn't complained.

I can't recall the last time I was < 190.  It feels great.  I wouldn't rush into the full marathon distance, since as you say, it is about the long term.  I finally got back outside this week after about 6 weeks of running on the treadmill.

Welcome Dave! (Nice boat.)

Its funny about this weight thing- when I started running I was hoping to lose about 10lbs. and get under 185lbs. At 5'11" I felt that would be reasonable. Now my wife says I have no ass, and while most people think I look slim at 158lbs, when I am around real runners I feel like the old fat guy! It's all relative I suppose.

Probably more important are the health benefits, and I admit I enjoy the competitive aspect.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I’ve been injury free (knock on wood) and I’m really looking forward to the weather in Michigan improving and getting back outside.

I hear you on that, Dave. My runs feel like they are getting so much better lately as I'm running less on soft snow and more on wet pavement and packed snow that has been melting. The footing is so different. This week I did my first runs of the year with detours around puddles.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

IMKY13 finish!!

WOO HOOO!!!!  I did it...I broke 2 hours in a half marathon this past Saturday.  I did the Tom King Classic half marathon on Saturday, March 13, 2010 in 1:57:35.  I was so thrilled when I crossed that finish line under 2 hours!!!

This was my 14th half marathon and I had been trying for about a year (about 5 attempts at it).  Now...need to break the 1:50 barrier

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles