Half Marathon Trainers

My HM training routine (Read 294 times)

I am training for the Nov. 15 or Nov. 23 HM please offer suggestions, my routine is based from suggestions that friends have given me. Mon. - long run (increasing 1 mi. every 2 weeks) currently 4 mi. Tues. - short run (half of long run) Wed. - short bike ride (low - moderate intensity) 5mi. Thurs. - long run (same as Mon.) Fri. - short run (same as Tues.) Sat. - short bike ride (moderate - high intensity) 5-10mi. How can I vary my workouts? Are there other ways to run?
    .:My Mission:. To complete the Olathe Marathon on Sat 03/28/2009
    Ringmaster

Hi, Hawk. Is this your first half? How long have you been running? I'm sure other half marathoners will come along to offer their advice. Just looking at your plan, I wonder if you might want to move some of your runs around. As your long runs get longer, I'm told (by my orthopedist) it's best to schedule rest days the day before and after your long run. It's not a hard-and-fast rule by any means, but since you're alternating biking and running, you might as well bike on the day after the long run instead of running again after a 10 or 12-miler. I'm not sure why you'd want to do a long run twice in one week. I would suggest you choose one of those and extend the mileage and keep the other at a comfortable distance for you. Making your log public helps us help you. On that note, you can check my log to see how I trained for my first half on Feb 17. I'm starting to train now for my next set of halfs, starting October 11. We're glad you're here!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

My stats age 16 male height 5'11'' weight 186 body fat % 13.5 log made public; however, I only have today put in. Previous dates aren't worth noting. I am a beginner to running.
          Hawk, Yes, there are thousands of ways to run/train and you'll see here, that not many of us do the same things. There are some basic training programs available like the Hal Higdon etc. I have a few stashed away some place that I can find for you if you don't find anything. I think one of the most important things is that you find what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. I do have some advice for you. First, what are your runs like. Alot of hills, no hills, some hills? You don't want to run hills every night, but you do have to incorporate some hill work into your schedule. I also don't see any strength training. I don't do a lot of it myself, but some strength training will help you. For now, two long runs a week is okay, but as you progress you will have to revamp that. I also think that as soon as you can, that you want to try to get your short runs up to at least 3 miles. I'm not an expert, and have only been running for 5 years, but for three years, my avg run was only 3.1 miles. Last year I stepped that up now and my avg run is more like 5 miles and I've improved dramatically. At the shorter distances, you haven't really worked the body out. However as you increase your long run, I'm not encouraging you to keep doing your short runs at half the distance. Look at Vix's log, she varies her short runs slightly but they are all in the range of about 6-7 mile range at the moment, yet her long run is 15 miles. My only other piece of advice at the moment, is that your long run (and not having a log history it's hard to judge) you might want to consider doing it at the end of your week only. Of course for now, it's probably not a really bad thing for you, but as you increase your runs and your base mileage I believe it's better to do your base work all week, then the truly long run. Again, if you look at Vixi's log she runs it at the end of the week with rest the day before and the day after. Currently my log is blank for the past couple of weeks due to an injury, but even if you go back and look, you'll should see my true long runs while training for my HM were on Sunday. with rest on Monday, then typically start Tuesday with easy runs. And lastly, Welcome to the group, good luck, be determined and be diligent in your training and commitment. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

Since you are a good 4 months away from the half marathon, you should consider spending the next 2 months or so building base mileage. Run everything easy. You can mix in some higher intensity stuff as you get closer to the race. Even then you don't need to go nuts. It is the mileage that will give you the best bang for the buck. Running it easy decrease the chance of injury. If you're not sure what your easy pace is go out and run a 5K and plug your time into one of the many race calculators out there. McMillan is one. Plug your 5K time in and it will recommend training paces for various workouts. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

You brought up strength training For my upper body I do 4 exercises approx. 35min. 2-3x per week Seated incline bench press with dumbbells 15 reps each at 35, 45, 50, 35 lbs. Push ups with feet on 64cm. ball 15 reps x 3 Assisted Pull Ups 15 reps x 3 at 85 lbs. assisted Cable pull (shoulder/back) 15 reps x 3 per arm at 32.5lb. My strength training workouts change every 4-5 weeks Currently that is all I do. Haven't done any ab work or lower body. I figured that running/biking would be sufficient for my lower body. Should I consider working out my lower body? If so, when?
                Looks like you're doing a lot of upper body work, but I would add some lower body work outs as well. I do squats with the weights resting on my shoulder, I do leg curls on my robe a-dope machine and I do leg thrusts holding a dumb bell. Two varieities of this. One is to hold a weight in each hand, thrust forward with one leg and then bend at the knees as you squat. The corect position is so that your forward knee is bent at 90 degree angle. Then push off with that foot as you stand and erturn to starting position and then repeat. My son does it with the two weights and alternates legs, I do 15 repeats with one leg and then switch. Again, there are some great places for exercises if you look on-line, or contact me and I can send you a few I have stashed away.

LPH

Thanks for the advice LPH, we shall have to see about the lower body workouts after my run tomorrow. I looked at your logs and saw that you spent between 25min. - 1 hour stretching? Is this correct? and is it really that important?
                    This morning at 5:40 AM I went for a brisk jog that turned into an amazing 2 3/4 mile run. I saw a deer and a stray dog. The entire school and trail was engulfed in a heavy fog. I have been motivated to test myself this Friday morning with that same run and a trip around the block. This run will be mainly on-road and its total distance is just over 6.5mi. I THINK I can, but is my BODY ready?
                      Stretching can be a controversial discussion on these boards. Many don't stretch at all, but then again many of us are religous about it. You're young and probably more flexible, but your body weight and you weight lifting may tend to tighten your muscles more. So at least for now as you are beginning to run, "I" personally would recommend stretching. However, be smart about it. Don't overstretch, don't bounce, don't stretch fast and don't stretch cold muscles. My log probably doesn't come close to registering all my stretching. I think I said earlier, that every run starts and ends with a half mile warm up walk/cool down walk, then 10 minutes of stretching. It's then not uncommon for me to stretch 20-40 minutes at home as well. I particulalrly spend a lot of time on my hamstrings as I've got tight hammys and suffered a tough ham string pull a few years ago. I also incorporate sit-ups and push-ups as part of my stretching as well Here is a link to some good information on stretching. If you're going to stretch, then don't try to do them all, but pick out ones that you like or ones that look like they'll help for certain target areas or areas of concern. http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_toc.html

LPH