Half Marathon Trainers

Training Report, week of 8/14 - 8/20 (Read 338 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I had to get off my schedule this week. I was feeling a little over-trained, and life was extra hectic with my school starting back up... plus the new position and schedule at work that started 2 weeks ago... it just kinda sucked. So, halfway into a crappy week I decided I'd use one of those bonus weeks I'd thrown in to my schedule to allow for flexibility and/or injury prevention/rehab. I felt kind of bad using it - it's like calling out sick from work when you're not really sick - but I'm glad I did. So I cut one run in half, and then took two days off and did NO exercise whatsoever. Know what happened? I started missing running again, and the third day of what was going to be my week off? I went running and ended up doing the longest run I have ever done! Oh well! I took a nice easy recovery run today and I'm calling the week good (though not an official training week...) I'm psychologically and physically ready to get back on schedule now, so all's good. How was everyone else's week? Anyone have any personal break-throughs or unusual struggles? Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did my longest run ever last night--almost 8 miles! I am really feeling good about that 10 miler coming up in just under 4 weeks. I know I will be totally ready! I just hope Eryn doesn't push me to run so fast that I burn out half-way through...I think she might be faster than I am (she definitely has more endurance at this point), though maybe that will be a good thing.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hey Kirsten. Nice pic. What's in the glass? Gatorade I suspect. Congrats on the long run! It's a good feeling getting those done. Is your next long run not for 4 weeks??! That's quite a ways out isn't it? It's a 20% jump too. Be careful! John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Kirsten. Nice pic. What's in the glass? Gatorade I suspect. Congrats on the long run! It's a good feeling getting those done. Is your next long run not for 4 weeks??! That's quite a ways out isn't it? It's a 20% jump too. Be careful! John
          Thanks...and in the glass is beer-flavored Gatorade, sports drink of champions (man, I almost wish someone would make a beer-flavored hydration beverage, non-alcoholic, of course. I get tired of the fruity stuff)! Wink Oh, no, my next long run is this Sat.--but I have a 10 mile race in 4 weeks that I am preparing for...then a half-marathon about 6 weeks after that. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Ok. I just read your post wrong that's all. I have this stupid HM on Sept 3 and I really need one more week so that I don't jump too much with my long runs. Yesterday was 9.4 and the race is 13.1. That leaves only one more long run in between and no matter how I slice it the jumps are too big. I should have two more, one at 10.5 and another at 12. Then the race would fall into place. But I have only one left---let's see, if I place it half way between the 9.4 and the race, then this week's long run will be 11.25, 20% more than this week's long run and 20% less than the race distance. Not a good position to be in 2 weeks before a big race. Damn!

Sorry John! Did I talk you into something you're regretting? Janell -- my week started off well, but my runs Friday and Saturday weren't up to par. It's a good idea to insert extra weeks into plans. I've always done that and I can't recall a time I didn't end up using them. Now I schedule about 1 extra week for every 10 of training. I just had one of those beer-flavored gatoraids... made by yuengling Smile
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just had one of those beer-flavored gatoraids... made by yuengling Smile
                Ha! Big grin John, I think even if you get up to 10 that your HM will be OK. I know when Eryn (backroadrunner) did a 25k this spring that she had only done up to maybe 12 miles as her longest run, but she still did the race fast and felt great afterwards (well, maybe not *great*, but not dead, LOL)! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten, Thanks for the encouragement. I know I can do it. I am just paranoid of injuries. Too much, too quickly and I'll pay the price with a forced 2 to 3 weeks off--not fun when you're on the brink of a milestone race! John

This was my first week running with a goal in mind. Just decided to train for a half in November. Ran my long run yesterday with my fiance. Ran 6 miles 7 minutes faster than I did last Sunday. So pretty much he kicked my butt. Hopefully I'm not too bad off for the rest of this week. Or maybe I'm faster than I think.....