Half Marathon Trainers

New and excited to train! (Read 241 times)

esd2114

Hi! I'm new to RA and to this group, but I've been running off and on since December. This summer I've gotten way better about being regular, and I've decided I want to train for a half... I'm still searching for one though, and it's getting frustrating. But I just don't have any real motivation to push myself right now, and I think this is an appropriate goal. I'm going to be at college in New York City next year, so I feel like it can't be that hard to find something, right? Any advice? I'm 18, female, 5'8'', 145 lbs... not currently keeping very exact times of my runs, but I'm going to start now. I know I'm right around a ten minute mile on my three- and four-mile runs.
      Hey, I think the first step would be getting yourself signed up for a half. For me this is all the motivation I need - knowing that I've spent the money on a race registration. After that I would look for a training plan that I was comfortable with - Hal Higdon has some here. Good luck and welcome to RA!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

eshep

Pick a goal race that is 6-12 months out. The NYC HM is in early August, which would give you ample time to prepare for next year's race. After you pick and register for your goal race, work on building your base. Build yourself up so that you are running 3-6 miles per day, 5 days/week. Don't worry about running fast. Just run easy miles. If you run the miles too fast, you will increase your chances for injury. Once you have gotten to the point where you can comfortably run this kind of schedule for 4-6 weeks in a row, then begin one of the HM novice training plans. Higdon's work as well as Galloway's (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html). Don't begin the training plan though until you have already established a solid base. Most of the training plans have you run a 5k, 10k or both leading up to your goal HM so be thinking about possible races in your area at those distances as well. You might also consider finding either a running club in your area where you can find some running partners or con one of your friends into signing up with you. You can then be motivators for each other when your legs start getting tired from all of the training miles or the weather turns cold. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! RA is a great place to get motivation when training gets tough.

madness baby

You might want to make your log public too, so that you can get some great advice from all the wicked smaht people on this board. (mikey, you can take that as a compliment) I think don't worry about speed so much right now, just add in one longer run once a week and continue to run shorter runs regularly. Hal Higdon has a great novice plan. Maybe you could pick up one of those free local sports and fitness magazines to find a half (and shorter races to lead up to it). Those always seem easier than online to me because they're all listed in one place. I'd even recommend training for a half sooner, within the next 3-5 months if that reasonable for you. Depends on what your goal is- I imagine that it's to finish though, if you're new to running, which it sounds like you are. RA'ers advised me not to worry about speed or anything, just sticking to the a certain # of miles each week, and never increasing weekly mileage too quickly. You'll get great advice here. Oh, and congrats on college in NYC. So fun! Smile
          deb

madness baby

I just realized this was in the HM group. Also consider posting in the main forums under racing or general running. That will get you some more advice from people who aren't in this group, and who were really helpful to me. Good luck with your training!
            deb