Half Marathon Trainers

Rochester HM race report (Read 269 times)

Well, t-1.5 hours until race time. I'm about to go drive over to the finish line, then take a shuttle to the start. I feel pretty good, but not great. Last night my wife and I went to a bbq at her PI's house. She's the only american in her lab, so whenever the lab gets together there's great danish, german, french, czech, and american food... and boy, can germans eat!! I didn't have the usual carb pre-race dinner. Instead, I had pork loin, beef, chicken, sausage, hummus, and lots of veggie salads Smile My wife is vegetarian and so I don't eat meat all that often -- it looked so good I couldn't say no. I did manage to curb my beer intake though. I made a quick trip to dunkin donuts for a small coffee this morning to help clear out my system, but nothing is happening yet. A couple other runners were there too... maybe they did the same thing? haha. anyway, it was worth it (I think). Smile I'm off -- good luck to other racing/doing long runs today.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Joel, good luck to you! By now you are probably at the finish-line. I hope it went well! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Joel - I want to come to your wife's lab parties!! Food sounds great and we want to hear about the HM!! lisak
        Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
          despite the food last night (or maybe because of it?) I ran a very strong race -- well-paced and definately about the best I could have done at my present fitness level. My race plan was to start slower, speed up to an 8:10ish pace until mile 10. At that point I would re-evaluate whether to push for a strong finish or just survive... a half-marathon is just a 5k with a long warm-up, right? First mile was an 8:20 mile and I felt like I was in the back 1/4 of all participants. People just took off! I sped up to 8ish miles for the next 2 miles and people were still passing me. An 8min/mile pace never felt so slow! I basically kept the ~8:00 pace until mile 10. I paced myself with my Garmin and went as fast as 7:40 at some points, but then recovered at my trusty ~8 pace. I started picking people off at mile 6 or so (where one guy was already walking). At mile 10 I felt a little tired, but great, and decided to push it. I kept pushing it and ended up doing a sub-23 minute final 5k! The last half mile was tough, but I pushed harder and finished. Final time was 1:42:36 or so (7:50 pace)... I'll have to wait to get the official time when the results are posted. I'm on such a high right now.... Big grin
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that's really awesome! I hope my HM in 6 weeks goes half that well! I figure I deserve a great race after 2 (of 3...my first 5k race was mostly just a practice run) lousy ones, right?! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WOOO HHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! lisak
              Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
              bas

The last half mile was tough, but I pushed harder and finished. Final time was 1:42:36 or so (7:50 pace)...
                Wow! In terms I can understand that is a pace of 4:50 min/km! I'm impressed. Maybe you should stick to that prerace diet Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East