Half Marathon Trainers

Come Say Hello! (Read 596 times)

Welcome. puku!

Interesting to have this little sub-group in our midst.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Lu481

Hi everyone,

I've been a member of this group for a while now and check in occasionally.  I used to run back in high school although I was never more than a "middle of the packer"  I never trained very hard then either.  You know how it goes, as a teenager you always have more important stuff to do than run.

After high school I ran occasionally until Feb 2007 when a friend asked me to do a 1/2 marathon with her in August.  I agreed and ran a little more consistently, taking 3 weeks off here and 4 weeks off there, but I ran the race and finished quicker than I expected.  The excitement of running the race was all it took to get me hooked.  There were people cheering all over the course, and it didn't matter that I was slow...  They still cheered for me as if I was some great athlete...  I finished in just over 2 hours and 21 minutes (had expected to finish around 2:30).  Then I stopped running until the end of 2007 because I didn't have another goal...  I started running consistently at the beginning of 2008.

I have ran 7 half marathons with my PR being 1:57:16 in March 2009 when I ran the Sharm El Sheikh 1/2 in Egypt finishing 2nd in the womens division and also getting injured during the race because I pushed myself too hard.  I got my first silver medal though...  It was quite the experience...

I have wanted to improve my time with a goal of sub 1:55 but have had a couple injuries since then because of pushing myself too hard.  So I'm trying to take it a little slower and pay attention to any aches and pains I might get...  It would be great if I have weeded out all my weak spots now... *smile*

Oh yeah,  I live in Alberta with my husband and our kids are all out on their own now...  I'm a member of the Canadian Armed Forces and will be going over to Afghanistan  in 2011...  My biggest worry about going over there is that I won't be able to run as much as I want to....

Lu

fast momma!

Ok, I guess it is my turn.  My name is Holly, I am 30, and I live in Montana with my husband and two girls (7 and almost 3). I have run off and on since college, mostly just because I love to eat AND fit into my jeansBig grin.  I have done 4 or 5 10k and about 5 5k races, but not at too spectacular of speeds. I am planning to do a 10k in March and would like to be under 1 hour. I am also planning to do my first half sometime in the summer. I run mostly on a treadmill, but get out in the Montana wind in the summer. I love to run because it is so easy to see your improvements, no matter how small they are. It is exciting to look at my RA log and see my pace slowly but steadily go down! I have been lurking around RA since August or so when I decided I had taken a long enough break from running (about 8 months).  Since August I have improved my mpm from 13:00 to under 11:00 mpm, and am running 12 miles a week, so I am really happy about that.

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

Nice to see you back, Lou.

Welcome, Holly.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Beginner all over again

Hello

I'll join ya.

I'm back after quite a bit of time off, but I'm going to do a HM in the fall, walk/jog, just to finish.

So I'm back in the game.

Smile

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Hi,

I'm running (walk/run) my first half on May 15.  The longest run in the training was 11 miles and I put in 11.5 on Saturday.  I trying very hard not to care about the pace and finish time but it's hard to put that aside.  Some of these long training runs have been mentally hard. 

My name is Barb and I am 57.  I've been around RA for about 3 years now and have been running 4 years.  I started with the couch to 5k program and then moved to the OHR program.  After completing both I found the run/walk method and have thoroughly enjoyed that.  My pace isn't the fastest out there but never will be.  I'm into running for the health of it and not the competition.  Since I signed up for my first half and almost ready, I searched RA and found this user group.   Smile

My workout log is open so if anyone wants to comment, I'm open for suggestons.

Barb

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Welcome Barb and good luck for your HM!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Barb, it looks like we're similar in speed. I hope you have a great first half.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.