Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Sept 1 & 2 (Read 296 times)

an amazing likeness

As August ends, a full blue moon tonight kicks off the traditional last weekend of summer (at least for those of us in the States). We're also taking the day off from work on Monday for Labor Day...celebrating the contributions of American workers by...yes, not working.

Light racing calendar this weekend:

Sep 2 MilkTruck Applecrest Half 13.1 mi Hampton, NH

Here in northern New England, the weather turned from summer to fall for a few days as northwest winds from Canada brought in cool, dry nights. Evening runs are starting to finish in the dark with Canada geese honking across the darkening sky; soon they'll start in the dark as well. Signs that fall is coming, and with fall comes the races and events which are the reward for all the training work from this summer. 

Good luck, fleet feet and cooling breezes to all our trainers logging miles toward their next event.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

My evening run last night was filled with firefly sightings! I got home a little later then I planned and my didn't get out the door for my run until almost 7:30. A portion of the route I do is through the woods and I couldn't help but think of Robert Frost,  "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
      But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep,  And miles to go before I sleep".

Even though there was NO snow, it was 82 and humid, LOL.

I love my evening runs, but it seems they are about to come to an end. I work until 7 so I can't really move them up any. Bummer.

I'm really looking forward to this fall racing season!

Good luck this weekend MT. Hope you have a great race.

HappyFeat

Good luck in Sunday's race, MT.  You must be the most experienced HM racer on this board. How many HMs have you done in all your running life?

I'll be running 10 tomorrow and am eagerly looking forward to the race on the 9th, although I'm actually glad I have another week to become race-ready.  Heading out for an EZ 4 miles tonight.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

. Signs that fall is coming

My last 2 long runs my shoes were not squishy! Surely a good indicator of seasonal change upon us.

Good luck tomorrow Andy. " At the finish you will be treated to home made apple pie with home-made ice cream and of course Applecrest's famous apples and pressed cider." Nice. 

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          HappyFeat

" At the finish you will be treated to home made apple pie with home-made ice cream and of course Applecrest's famous apples and pressed cider." Nice. 

WILL RUN FOR PIEBig grin  Most certainly - the perfect reward for a hard race - maybe better than a medal?

an amazing likeness

The challenge I see with apple pie and ice cream at the finish is...keeping the post race to fewer calories than just burned off in the race.

HappyFeat...I haven't run all that many half marathons, it just seems like it because I've been on a steady diet of halfs for the past 6 - 8 months. This group has over 400 members (...but about 10 who visit and post routinely, go figure), so I'd imagine there are tons of folks with more half marathons than I've done.

VegeFrog...I'm a big firefly fan. We have a small 'orchard' in the back 1/2 acre of our lot, and a few years ago I stopped mowing it during the summer to get more firefly action on summer nights -- the fireflys thrive in the longer grasses and lupine. It is so cool to pull into the driveway after dusk on a hot summer night and when the headlights go out...you're looking out over this field of firefly butts blinking along the top of the grass and up into the trees. It's magical.

I hear on you the squishy shoes,, Kevin -- during August I've taken to leaving mine next to the dehumidifer in the basement to get 'em somewhat dried out...and it's been a loosing battle, even with 3 or 4 pairs in rotation.

HappyFeat

The challenge I see with apple pie and ice cream at the finish is...keeping the post race to fewer calories than just burned off in the race.

HappyFeat...I haven't run all that many half marathons, it just seems like it because I've been on a steady diet of halfs for the past 6 - 8 months. This group has over 400 members (...but about 10 who visit and post routinely, go figure), so I'd imagine there are tons of folks with more half marathons than I've done.

Right - well you're the one we know about - so you get all the glory.Big grin I counted 21 for you - I still say "wow" and am glad you participate/lead our group.

Yeah about the eating thing - I sometimes waste the calorie burn of my long run by eating too much the rest of the day. I'm working on that! Happy to say though I just had a birthday and met my birthday weight goal. Now if I can just meet my HM goal!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Right - well you're the one we know about - so you get all the glory.Big grin I counted 21 for you - I still say "wow" and am glad you participate/lead our group.

x2.

For me, it's not the calories of pie post-race, it's my stomach rejecting anything that sweet right after. (I'm one of those annoying people who got back my eat anything like I did when was 18 and not gain metabolism when I took up running. *ducking all rotten fruit being thrown at me*)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

Yeah about the eating thing - I sometimes waste the calorie burn of my long run by eating too much the rest of the day. I'm working on that! Happy to say though I just had a birthday and met my birthday weight goal. Now if I can just meet my HM goal!

Good work HappyF! You will meet it, I'm sure of it! You and Meg have been working so hard and been so diligent, y'all are gonna ROCK your halfs!

Oh and I totally meet or exceed my calorie burn on long run days. But...it's with beer, LOL.

MT, I'm such a dork, but I'm a biology major and I actually wrote my thesis on the communication between luminescent species Smile Not just fireflies, but deep sea fishes too. FASCINATING, LOL.

an amazing likeness

Course today was a tough little nugget -- steady up/down the whole way with one mile-long steady hill from 6-7 and a steep climb at 10.5 that made me say "that's just cruel" aloud when I saw it as standouts. Nothing outragous overall, just steady up and down. Course went through beautiful New England countryside of farms and woods. Start/finish venue, Applecrest Farm, was a good hangout for the people waiting for the racers with a petting zoo and other stuff for the kids.

Well organized, especially considering it was an innagural version (the folks putting it on, Loco Running are experienced). Perfectly marked course...a few more water stations is only thing I'll recommend if they ask.

Apple pie at the end was warm and delicious! 

I'd run this one again.

HappyFeat

Sounds like quite the workout, but with plenty of lovely scenery to make it worth it.

vegefrog

Apple pie! Petting Zoo! Awesome Smile

Nice run Milk Truck!

Great when you discover a new event you really like.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

To close this race (and thread), a quick photo of the start -- when you run a race hosted at an Apple orchard...starting in a field isn't out of the question:

Brian.001

MilkTruck, I also ran this event.  I thought it was well-run, but the hills were something else. 

I have done 5 other half's, but never seen a course this hilly.