Half Marathon Trainers

Late Winter/Early Spring 2018 (Read 16 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hey! Who is still around?  What's going on? Smile

I'm gearing up for my first half of the year on Good Friday. Worried i won't be ready.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Leaf_124

Good luck on your half this Friday! I have one the following weekend in Jasper, have been having some hip/back issues but rest and strength training will hopefully clear it up for the race.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Leaf. It was a tough one. Not my worst, but a tough one for sure. It was the coldest half I've ever run; windchill felt like -31*C or -24*F if you like that scale better and it really didn't warm up at all during the run. Humidity 65%. Wind about 18kph. I didn't have a great training cycle so I didn't look at my watch at all and just ran it, not worrying about trying to PR. I felt pretty good the first half of the race, but in the second half, I started to feel cold, esp with the wind off the lake, and everything seemed to stiffen up. Mentally I think I ran a good race for conditions; physically my pace really tanked in the second half and in better weather, I'm sure I would've been faster. (This race was 8*C or 46*F when I ran it Good Friday last year.) I'm feeling more stiff than I usually do post race, but I suspect that's part of running in the cold. The volunteers were great today. My husband was at the finish line when I came in too. It's a small race. I doubt there were 150 people today and most of those would be halfers, not full marathoners. Next up: RPS Half at the end of April. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

I have gotten totally lazy!!!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's not like you, HL! What's up?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

That's not like you, HL! What's up?

I think the three 50k’s plus a marathon for that 119.2 mike challenge I did back in the winter. I had put in soooooo many long and slow miles, I kind of lost the pep. I also have a crap-ton of life stuff(FIL and BIL deaths with last 1.5 years making it tuff for my wife, our kids are all mad at us and not speaking to us and we don’t know why, my dad has been extremely sick, my wife has a severe form of dermatitis that’s kicking her butt and we haven’t found her any relief yet, and the volunteer work we donwith the Angels is starting to consume more time than it used to, and I’m considering moving within my company to another state), that keeps me way more busy than I like. I need to sign up for a few races. I feel like my speed is slowly coming back, so maybe the summer will be a turning point.

I had a good 6.3 mile run this morning at 8:38 pace that felt good!

Sorry for spilling my guts, but it felt good to be able to say all that.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Spill away. That definitely sounds like a heavy load on your plate. I can certainly see how running could become just one more chore to do. I think that winter and lingering winter can be a real wet blanket on running mojo sometimes. I hope you can find your love your running again and it can be an outlet to blow off some of that stress. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Leaf_124

Just thought I'd update, got a sub 2 half last weekend (a pr for me) in Jasper. It was a nice day although windy with a little ice around the turn around. Hip did tighten up at km 13 uphills but could run through the discomfort. Beautiful run.Taking it easy this week and will resume training for spring races next week.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Congrats on the PR! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292.