Half Marathon Trainers

Running in Spain (Read 11 times)

Cyberic

Some of you have asked me for some pictures of Spain. Here is essentially a post I did in another user group.

It kinda discouraged me to post one huge comment about my whole trip, so I decided to make it a new topic, and post sections whenever I have the time.

I'm thinking the sections (posts) will be something like running in each city, but I might change that. I have no definite plan.

Instead of staying in hotels, we were staying in apartments. In many European countries, you can rent apartments by the day, by the week, by the month, and so on. I now know you can do that in North America too, but never knew about it before. We were living among the Spaniards, shopping in the same grocery stores, and eating in the same restaurants. We had no hotel pool, no English speaking hotel staff « isolating » us from the real Spain. We did have air conditioning in each of our apartments, something not all Spaniards have.

Barcelona

We were staying on a very busy street, maybe 100 feet from a subway entrance. The subway line actually ran under our apartment, so every few minutes, the building would shake. Depending on the time I left for my run, I often had to walk to get to my running spot as the sidewalks were too crowded for me to run.

On my first exploratory run, I soon realized I would not make it alive if I tried to run in the streets and sidewalks. I needed a route where I did not need to be careful every single step of the way and stop every 30 seconds. So I lookup around and saw the « Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya- MNAC » on top on « Monjuïc », and decided to go look there as I rememberred my wife telling me that might be a good running spot for me. The MNAC is a beautiful building and the site has many many water fountains. It is the building in the back. I was running behind it. On this picture you see a part of my running route to get behind the MNAC. I lived further away than where this picture was taken.

MNAC seen from the Arena

Again, the MNAC seen from far

MNAC seen from the distance

Even the trafic circle has a beautiful statue.

Trafic circle leading to MNAC

Seen from closer

MNAC seen from closer

After sundown, there are water-light and music shows at the main water fountain (called the Font Màgica, in Catalan). There are tons of Youtube videos about those shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFHyxlJdn0).This video is not from me, but mine are rather similar.

The first days it was quite special to run by that place every morning. After the climb you end up in a relatively traffic free street with gardens and sports installations on each side. It became my running spot instantly. Even after the climb, the run on top is rather hilly. It is a good workout. There is also a public track, for which the middle part was used by kids with t-shirts all of the same color (some sort of camp) playing soccer. There was a big sign by the track about the 2012 IAAF world junior championships. I guess the track was built for those. The most people I saw on the track was 5. One day I was alone on the track. I do not have pictures of the track. I do have pictures of the view I had on top of the mountain, but I decided to post a few random photos of things that I saw in Barcelona instead in my walking treks with my family. ¡Disfruta! (Spanish for Enjoy!)

I don't remember the name, but this was in the middle of yet another beautiful park.

Barcelona Park

In park Güell

In Park Guell

A building in the city designed by the artist Gaudi

Building by Gaudi

Segrada Familia from the outside

Segrada Familia

There are probably better pictures of the same buildings all over the Internet, but I posted my own.

Madrid will be next, but after my run.

Cyberic

Madrid

Before leaving Barcelona I read about running in Madrid and the best spot was Parque Del Retiro. Lucky me, I was staying at about a 5-10 minutes walk from the park. It is a park like I had never seen before. Quite big, about 4 km (2.5 miles) perimeter, and with beautiful and diverse trees, flowers, and monuments. The park has a good hill that made the workout interesting. As in Barcelona, it was pretty awesome the first mornings to run in this park. Unlike Barcelona, it is dry in Madrid. So the temperature drops during the night. The mornings were (relatively) fresh. The range in the 6 days I ran there was probably around 65-75 Farenheit in the morning with very little humidity. In Barcelona I did not see many runners, but in Madrid, in parque del Reteiro, running is very popular.

In the middle of Parque del reteiro, there is an artificial lake with a monument by its side

Parque del reteiro lake

The park if full of different gardens. here is one

A garden in parque del Reteiro

Another area of the park

Parque del Reteiro garden

As for Barcelona, Madrid is full of beautiful parks, monuments, buildings, etc. So here are some random pictures of Madrid.

The Royal Palace. I didn't even know Spain was a Monarchy

Madrid Royal Palace

The bank of Spain

Bank of Spain Madrid

As you may have understood by now, Spaniards do not build solely on functionality, but are very careful about how things look. Here are two bridges crossing a tiny river, at about 1000 feet from each other, with very different styles. On each side we re walking in a park built over a highway. It is very important to be able to cross often

Bridge 1

Bridge 1 crossing river in Madrid

Bridge 2, more modern

Bridge 2 crossing river Madrid

Cyberic

Sevilla

We were warned (too late, the reservations were made) that July and August were not good months to go to Sevilla. The temperatures are around 100, as in Madrid, but with humidity. We were very lucky. This year was cool in their standards. The hottest day was like 95, and many of them were in the high 80’s. Sevilla is not a very clean city. In the touristic areas it’s neat, but in other areas, there’s broken glass, empty bottles and dog shit everywhere. In fact, by the end of my week there, the filth grossed me out. And I thought Montreal was dirty. Although not « clean », there’s a nice wide pathway besides the river. Lots of fishermen there in the morning, walkers and runners. It’s nice and flat so it was easier to do intervals. At some point at the end of the pathway, you can just cross the street to enter Parque Maria Luisa. It is supposed to be "the spot" to run.

A tree (there are many of the like) of Parque Maria Luisa

The first morning I was awestruck in the park when I saw plaza de la España, a beautiful building that was supposed to be the university but turned out to be too small. So now it’s mostly unused, except for few government offices. After all the beautiful building I had seen in Barcelona and Madrid, this was my favorite. Not because of its « grandeur », I’ve seen more majestic buildings in Spain, but because of the looks of it. It just pleased my eye.

Plaza de la España, in Parque Maria Luisa

Plaza de la Espana

Another shot of Plaza de la España

Even though beautiful, the park is rather small though, and after two days of running there I decided to forget the park, and stay on the pathway by the river.

At the end of the pathway, by the river, I came upon this weird "monument". It doesn't show on the picture, but it is about 20 feet high. It's very different than everything else I saw in Spain, and have no idea what it represents

As usual, some random pictures of stuff I've seen in Sevilla

The Alcázar is an Arab palace. Different than the gothic cathedral I had seen before.

Here is a picture of the inside. It is very big and has multiple rooms, all different, so this is just one shot out of many.

A shot of one of the ceilings in the Alcazar

In Sevilla there is also the third biggest cathedral in the world, behind St-Peter of Rome and London. The pictures I have are not representative of the riches found in there, so I'm not posting any.

Even the touristic information is in a nice building

But even with the magnificent buildings and spots found in Sevilla, because of the filth, it was the only city I visited in my trip I would not return to if I had a choice.

Cyberic

For the rest of the trip it was 2 days at a time in a couple of cities before ending up in Barcelona again. I figured I could run every other day but it turned out in Barcelona we were staying in a much too crowded part of the city.

Granada

Granada is a very clean city (or town?). Especially after Sevilla, it was appreciated by my family and I. It has a large Arabic community with their houses built on the steep mountain side.

I did not find anywhere to run, so I just ran back and forth on the « Gran Via de Colon », the main street. I later found a better path to run on, but we were leaving the next day.

Valencia

My favorite city in Spain. It is rather clean, has a metro (subway) and a tramway to bring you directly on the beach (the water was as warm as I remember of St-Martin in the Carribbean). It is smaller than Barcelona and Madrid, and has a real cool 5 mile long park full of runners, and bikers, and walkers right in the middle of the city with enjoyments for kids, and fountains, etc.

Guess where I ran? I ran my single Valencian run in that park. It is humid as it is by the sea, but hey, you want the beautiful beach, you get the humidity.

Food

I said before on this forum that we did not eat « that  good » in Spain. It was ok, but after a while, ham and cheese lose some of their charm. The problem is that we didn’t know how to choose our places and how to order. People told us « you’ve got to try tapas ». So we kept ordering tapas in bars and restaurants instead of meals. After a while we understood what tapas were for, and when to order them. You usually eat tapas if you’re having a few beers with friends (Spaniards drink a lot of cervesas!). It’s a little something to eat (or a lot) but not a meal per se. Tapas come in different form and quantities and are hard to define, but the idea is not to define what a tapa is, but what a tapa is for. When we realized that, we started to look for « Menús del día» which ususally consist of a a choice for a first plate (primeros), another choice of a second plate (segundos) and a choice of desert of coffee (pastres). Sometimes a beer or soft

drink in included. That’s when we started eating good. So if you’re traveling to Spain and want to eat good, forget the tapas (although they can be real good too!) and look for « Menús del día». There are restaurants everywhere in Spain, finding one isn’t the problem. Sometimes choosing one can be though because until you’ve tried the food, you don’t really know if it’s good!

Varia

Although it was not an issue for me as I don’t speak Spanish, people in Barcelona speak Catalan. For people speaking French like my family and I, Catalan is actually easier than Spanish. I later learned, while in Madrid and for the rest of my trip from hearing people actually speaking Spanish, that the « c » is pronounced like an English « th », so Barcelona sounds like « Barthelona » when said by the Spaniards, and my daughter’s name is pronounced « Alithia ».

Zelanie

Hi Cy, thanks for sharing this!  I am glad you figured out the food thing.  It's similar here, eating whatever the plate of the day can often lead to the best food.  I am vegetarian, which is another challenge, but find that most restaurants are happy to figure out a substitute.

I wrote a whole novel about Latin-American Spanish and then zap, lost my post... Anyways that's for the pictures. I can't wait to get back to Spain. My favorite this time was Barcelona (all time favorite  is San Sebastián) one day I would like to visit Corsica...

thanks for the pictures and the posting, A

Recalculating...

Cyberic

I wrote a whole novel about Latin-American Spanish and then zap, lost my post... Anyways that's for the pictures. I can't wait to get back to Spain. My favorite this time was Barcelona (all time favorite  is San Sebastián) one day I would like to visit Corsica...

thanks for the pictures and the posting, A

AAAaaahhhh, that sucks.

Corsica is on my list too. I don't know anybody who hasn't liked(or didn't like... pardon my English) Corsica.

Cyberic

We did not go to San Sebastian. We had choices to make. Don't know if I'll ever go as I might never return to Spain, and choose different locations for my next trips, but thanks for sharing. I'll keep that in mind.

Just gorgeous.  My husband wants to go to Spain - he is an acoustic guitarist and plays some spanish/flamenco music and lots of the flamenco guitarist study in Spain.  I think it would be a great trip, just can't afford it currently.

Glad you go to run and experience so many different cities and running routes.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189