Half Marathon Trainers

HM Training Group (Read 544 times)

Most of our runs are in the 3 to 5 mile range during the weekwith nothing over 5 miles. Our long runs on Sat. started out at 2 miles and going up to two 10s and one 12. Weeks 10 and 13 are 10 milers with an 8 and 9 in between. Week 14 is a 12 miler followed by an 8 then 6 and a taper to race day of 3 days of 3 miles 1 of 2 then two off right before the race. That is our base 10 training. The base 15 has higher weekday miles, but I don't have the chart here at work and don't recall the miles as I am not following that one. Maybe next year.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Hey Gregg, Those Saturday runs are supposed to be *slow*. As in slower than race pace, ya know. Tongue Check out the McMillan Running Calculator if you haven't seen it. Plug in a recent race time and it tells you what your pace should be for your workouts . For a 36-something 5K it says your long runs should be in the 14-15 minute per mile range; easy runs 14-14:30; tempo runs 12:30 - 13:00. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ Slowing down might help that knee too. I had some knee issues when I was running in the wrong type of shoes.New pair and the pain was gone. Smile Hopefully those New Balance's will make a difference. Our Mini training group only ran 2 miles yeasterday, but I know what you mean about cold. Brrr! I'm still trying to come up with a workable training schedule for me. I'm helping coach the beginner's group so I'm doing my group runs with them twice a week. A lot less mileage than I've been doing. I'm not sold on the other new training programs they're using for the intermediate and advanced groups. I may go back to the Hal Higdon one that I used last fall. Teresa
      Last night my pace was 13:11. Nice and slow except for the last quarter mile as I picked up the pace finishing the last 125 meters at a full run (still feeling like that 110 year old tortus I used to have moved faster) Yet it felt like a good run anyway. I even jogged most of the .3 miles of my cool down back to the house. Just really felt good!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Had my very first 4 miler last night. Was to follow up with 2 tonight but the weather here is just bad enough to make it dangerous. That county road is SLICK with black ice. I figure better safe than sorry. If I have a serious injury at this pont my HM is out, so why chance it?

Good thinking...better safe than injured I say!!! Shocked Shocked
          Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
          runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

Then those hamstrings must be fealling better. Way to play it smart.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Gregg, Sounds like you made the right decision. Smile I decided to chance it last night. I've been doing most of my runs on the indoor track at the high school while the boys are at wrestling practice. That gets so boring after awhile that I've even done a few on the treadmill in the school's weight room. (Shoot me now, please!) It didn't seem so cold yesterday so I took off on my 7 mile route. It was fine at first but as the temps dropped it got really slick. A car came by and I slipped on the ice and into a pot hole, twisting my knee. I ended up cutting it short and dh met me at the 6 mile marker. Undecided Teresa
                Gregg, Sounds like you made the right decision. Smile I decided to chance it last night. I've been doing most of my runs on the indoor track at the high school while the boys are at wrestling practice. That gets so boring after awhile that I've even done a few on the treadmill in the school's weight room. (Shoot me now, please!) It didn't seem so cold yesterday so I took off on my 7 mile route. It was fine at first but as the temps dropped it got really slick. A car came by and I slipped on the ice and into a pot hole, twisting my knee. I ended up cutting it short and dh met me at the 6 mile marker. Undecided Teresa
                Take care of that knee!! The local paper has been discussing a sports center here in the next 2 years. I sure hope it has an indoor track!!! Last night I noticed as I started my push off that the foot would sometmes slide back on me. I am too old to do the splits. There were some dry spot in hte MIDDLE of the road and I used them being careful of cars. But that is not safe either. Those cars are heavy and tend to leave marks if they smack you! No fun that! Group training tomorrow. Weather Bugs says snow showers/flurries 11 F with a 10 mph wind. I double dare algore to come here look me in the eye and say global warming!! OK I am NOT going there!!! This ain't the place for that!! Everyone, be careful out there!!! It is slick and cold and too durn easy to get hurt!!

Then those hamstrings must be fealling better. Way to play it smart.
                  Yep!! By the next morning they were just fine. Legs get sore but that is ALL about adding new distances I have never run before. In that case my legs need to be sore to learn that this new distance is not going to make them fall off!

Good GAWD but it was a COLD 4 miles this morning!!! Below zero wind-chill. Out fearless leader plotted a course that kept ups for the most part in the housing areas that protected us from the wind. Except for some ice in my beard I got warm and STAYED warm the entire run. Still I must get something better to wear over my compression shirt than a sweatshirt. I got cold in hurry when I stopped. Tomorrow is scheduled 3 miles. Weather is calling for a low of 4 degree and wind-chills to MINUS 14. And no my wife won't keep me from running in that kind of weather. Because I am not that insane and won't go!