Half Marathon Trainers

It's official... I'm running my first HM on April 22nd! (Read 710 times)

an amazing likeness

Kathy,

For once, I think I can actually help you with some advice.

Dress for the race as you would for a run that is 20 degrees warmer than the actual temp at the start, you will warm up, even if you're cold through the first 3 -4 miles, and fah-reezing at the start.

If you're really concerned about being too cold at first..do this -- search your closet for the oldest and ugliest sweatshirt/jacket/long sleeve outer layer you have, or go to the local Goodwill store and buy one for a few $ -- wear it at the start over your race gear (with your bib on your race shirt), and after a mile or two as your warm up, take off this sweatshirt/jacket/whatever and chuck it to the side of the course. This is what we all call a "toss shirt".  Same thing for gloves ($2 cotton garden gloves from your local hardware store).

Taper works by doing exactly what you're feeling...making your body want to get back to running, and you uncork that on race morning. The base fitness you've built isn't going away in the short taper. You'll feel like a racehorse when they race starts....rein that in and control it, plan your race and run that plan!

Good luck, you are going to have a great day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Kathy, I would go with that outfit you are planning, with the bib on your tech shirt. BUT...do you have like an old sweatshirt or something that you wouldn't mind ditching at the start line? It is going to be COLD standing around waiting for the start in 38 degrees. I always go to goodwill and get a cheapy something to wear over my shirt just for the pre-race chill. You will defintely warm up during the race, so what you are planning should be fine. As long as it's not rainy or windy...40 degrees is way colder if it's windy, and I might consider running tights in that case. I'm a southerner though, so I'm a wuss when it comes to cold temps!!

The taper allows your body to heal, rest and recover. You are gonna fly tomorrow!!!!

HA! I was writing at the same time as MilkTruck...so the goodwill idea must be a good one since we both mentioned it! Wink Remember that for future races.

Ok - It's done!  I ran my first half marathon!  My goal time was 2:30.  I finished in 2:24:42.  Super excited about that.  It was a hard from mile 8 to 11.  Those 3 miles killed me.  I had to really concentrate on my breathing and just focus on putting one foot infront of the other.  Once I got to 11 I got a second wind and was able to crank it up a little to the finish.  All in all a good experience.  Thanks to all of you for the advice along the way.  We did do the good will stop yesterday and bought a shirt and gloves to toss.  Worked great.  Pretty chilly day, ran the first 2 miles or so before I was ready to toss them.  Loved that my coaches were at the finish line and were the ones to put the medals around our necks, that was pretty special!  I still can't believe I did it and beat my goal!

Kathy

HappyFeat

Wonderful, Kathy! Congratulations for surpassing your goal - that's huge!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Former runner

Congrats Kathy! That's great that you beat your goal. Sounds like you had some good coaching.

I have a checklist for everything I need for my races. I need review it next week and see if I need to get anything. Disposable clothing are valuable items on cold race mornings.

Ross

an amazing likeness

Ok - It's done!  I ran my first half marathon!  My goal time was 2:30.  I finished in 2:24:42.  Super excited about that....Loved that my coaches were at the finish line and were the ones to put the medals around our necks, that was pretty special!  I still can't believe I did it and beat my goal!

Fan-Tas-Tic !  Way to go Kathy!

What an inspiration you've been --- your hard work on your training, focused over these long months is a lesson for all of us. Your results show us what happens from planning, working through the plan and getting it done. Wow, just wow. I hope you'll look in the mirror tomorow morning as you face a routine day and think for a second..."wow, I ran a half marathon yesterday!".

You've done something that not everyone can do. You've earned that medal. Savor it!

- Andy

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

Great job Kathy!

Well done Kathy - inspirational

Alan

2012 Targets:

1:30hrs Continuous running

17.5km in 1:30hr

Half Marathon < 1:50 (PB 1:50:35 - 26/08/12 Pewsey)

10k < 50mins (PB 45:09 - 15/07/12 West Tytherley 10k)

5k < 24mins (PB 22:08 - 16/06/12 Andover Park Run 5km)

Average Weekly Pace < 8min/mile (Current Best 8:02)

THanks everyone.  I've only run a couple of times since the race.  I had read that you should take it easy for a couple of weeks after the race.  Today I just wanted to run and work hard.  I went out and opened it up.  Happy to see that I was able to run about a minute faster than my normal pace for just over three miles.  Probably shouldn't have pushed so hard only 8 days after the race, but it just felt so good!  Awhile back, I posted that I wasn't feeling the love... I am now!  Big grin

Can't see any problem if you're feeling good - looks like you are ready to get back in to it, just listen to your body and don't do too much too soon. Well done

Alan

2012 Targets:

1:30hrs Continuous running

17.5km in 1:30hr

Half Marathon < 1:50 (PB 1:50:35 - 26/08/12 Pewsey)

10k < 50mins (PB 45:09 - 15/07/12 West Tytherley 10k)

5k < 24mins (PB 22:08 - 16/06/12 Andover Park Run 5km)

Average Weekly Pace < 8min/mile (Current Best 8:02)

an amazing likeness

THanks everyone.  I've only run a couple of times since the race.  I had read that you should take it easy for a couple of weeks after the race.  Today I just wanted to run and work hard.  I went out and opened it up.  Happy to see that I was able to run about a minute faster than my normal pace for just over three miles.  Probably shouldn't have pushed so hard only 8 days after the race, but it just felt so good!  Awhile back, I posted that I wasn't feeling the love... I am now!  Big grin

Rather than a complete 'stop' after your goal race, I think you do better with a steady diet of easy runs. Many folks offer the advice to "reverse" your taper to get back to your normal routine -- that is, climb back up  the mileage chart for your daily and weekly distance in a similar pattern you used when tapering.

Personally, after a focused training cycle and goal race...I usually will run a few days of easy jogs and even walks to help my legs recover and find it's more about the mental and having a brief buffer with no goals or objectives before starting back into structured runs.

vegefrog

Personally, after a focused training cycle and goal race...I usually will run a few days of easy jogs and even walks to help my legs recover and find it's more about the mental and having a brief buffer with no goals or objectives before starting back into structured runs.

Yep. It's nice to have that mental break as well.