Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Jun 1 & 2 (Read 11 times)

an amazing likeness

Wow! First weekend of June...time is whizzing by like metaphorical 5K runners pounding into the finish chute. The longest days of the year are coming and both morning and evening runners get to enjoy runs in the light of day for a few short months.

At some point along the way, one of the most experienced RA runners shared a thought that has stuck with me -- every run should have a purpose and you should know the purpose of today's run is before you set out.  Even the easiest day of jogging has a purpose -- it may be to log some miles, or loosen up sore muscles, or build some base, or just get some fresh air. Intervals are for speed; hills are for strength and aerobic growth; recovery to let the tired body absorb the training you're feeding it.  It took me some time to understand this lesson...and I still forget it at times and go off and do something that doesn't add value, or worse, hurts.

On this week's schedule, a couple are heading to southeastern VT for the Covered Bridges Half -- a medium sized race (~1800) that (reportedly) passes 7 covered bridges on beautiful VT country roads. This race closes in minutes each year.  This could be a tough day, temps today are in the 90F vicinity, and expected to be in the 80s on race day -- yet most of us haven't run in anything warmer than 50F or low 60s. Yikes.

Jerryb49 has a HM along the shores of Lake Michigan north of Chicago on tap where temps are predicted to be in the low 60s -- wanna trade Jerry?

Jun 2 BostonRnr Covered Bridges Half 13.1 mi Quechee, VT
    Jun 2 MilkTruck Covered Bridges Half 13.1 mi Quechee, VT
    Jun 2 Jerryb49 North Shore Half 13.1 mi Highland Park, IL

Next week's calendar is busy...so good luck to all our trainers as you aim to show up fresh and chomping at the bit on race day.

Wishing all our races light and fleet feet, following breezes and well-organized porta-potty lines.  Good Luck!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Fleet feet everyone!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No thanks MT.  I'll keep our "Cooler by the Lake" 60's.  Goal/purpose is 1) have fun.  2) finish the race.  3) 2:15.   4) 50th percentile in AG.  Ooops, #1 should be letting DW beat me.  On way to packet pickup.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Turned out to be Cold by the Lake and wet.  5 minute PR, 2:19:38.  At least we met goal #2.  Don't have full results yet.

Zelanie

Congratulations, Jerry, on completing HM #2!

an amazing likeness

Well....that sucked.  78F at start, baking sun, jogged the 1st 8mi, then faded from there. After reading about the course, had a goal of 1:41 - 1:43 heading in.  Looking at the weather (well into the mid-90s driving over yesterday), reset that to 1:50-ish.  Then today, standing at the start sweating without having run a step, goal became sub-2:00.

Posted a 1:59:48, so just squeezed in by 12 seconds.  2nd slowest career half marathon time. (to this sweatfest)

On the upside -- this a great course of beautiful VT countryside, friendly volunteers, and superb race organization.  I'll be back to try this one again in the future.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.