Half Marathon Trainers

May (Read 17 times)

Yay Lauren! Welcome to the club, plus you are speedy.

Recalculating...

From the Internet.

Thanks guys! Big grin

Ran an easy 3 yesterday morning to get some blood flowing in the ol' legs. Definitely felt like I had just raced a half, not too bad, just tired and a bit stiff. Taking an SRD today and maybe tomorrow too (even though I don't waaaant to), then easing back into normal mileage over the next week and a half or so.

Congrats Lauren - you are speedy!

Way to tough ti out Embee

A- you rock!

I got to do a beac run this weeked and then a shorter run on Sunday - I seemed to tweaked my right ankle somehow as I woke up Sunday and could hardly walk.  got moving and walked a 15 minute warm up and then 30 minutes of slow running - with very little to know pain.  Taking a couple of days off to let it heal.  May try a slow run tomorrow morning.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Trying to stay positive -- I guess a year ago, if you'd told me I'd be sick with an injured back and would decide to jog 13.1 miles rather than wait for an aid bus, I'd have thought you were crazy.  Oddly enough, I wasn't really sore, so I guess all those 12-15 mile runs in training paid off in endurance, at least.

I'm forcing myself to take this week off, and the weather is cooperating by storming.  I have never seen Utah this green!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How is the week off working out, Emmbee?

We're having hot days which is a shock to the system. Last Sunday, it was 4*C or 39*F with a 43 gusting to 55 kph wind. Today, it's 25*C or 77*F with a 11 gusting to 29kph wind. Thankfully I don't have allergies because all the trees are finally blooming and the air is so full of fluff. I'm not used to this heat and it's making running harder. I'm a bit frustrated that I can't tell if it's just the heat getting to me or if I'm overtired or what the deal is. It's been few lousy runs with the occasional really good mile sprinkled in there.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

It's been great, Meg, thanks for asking!  I started back up yesterday with 3.8 miles because I apparently forgot to turn around at 1.5 miles, and 2 today followed by some weight lifting.  Lungs are still pretty congested but it's clearly the tail end of the virus, the mild cough that never dies...

The week of recuperating was needed, I think -- now to rebuild a base and just enjoy running for a bit.   Pretty sure I've been underrecovered/overtrained since the beginning of April, so figuring out how to change it up a bit that works for me.  n = 1 experiments are fun...

Meg, I read over on runblogger I think that apparently warm weather induces your body to increase blood volume a bit, and that it takes a bit of time (about eight runs) to adapt.  Here's hoping you're just adapting to the warmer weather -- that's quite a temperature spike. (Although, my husband is Canadian and the man melts at anything over 20C.  Anything under 18C, of course, is too cold.)

Docket_Rocket

Great job and races these last two weeks, guys!

Ran 6 last night on the TM (and went to Pilates).  4-6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

erinr

emmbee, I had some kind of bronchitis-y thing a few weeks ago.  It was miserable.  Nice job pushing through!

Lauren, that's an awesome first half marathon time!  I'm jealous 

Today was my first run in almost 2 weeks.  I was on vacation, so I did a lot of walking, but there wasn't really anywhere to run.  I've been aiming for the Chicago Half Marathon in September, but now I've also decided to sign up for a trail half marathon that's just over 6 weeks away.  I've never run a trail race (or even really run much on trails), so it should be...interesting.  I figure I won't set a time goal, and just aim to enjoy myself.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

First time doing hill repeats in months and I didn't die. Yay! I was tired on the last one and I maybe could've pushed a bit more, but it's a start. I don't think I'm racing before fall so it's mostly just mixing it up and working on strength and endurance right now. Smile

ekat, I think a trail half would be fun, but not much close to me. I live where it's so flat so I'd have to travel for one. I want to hear details after. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

ekat, careful of the trails, they're kind of addictive. Word of advice, don't look up, keep your eyes on the ground. I just started running trails this past winter and loved it. Each time I looked up, I busted my butt.

Couple of RD's for me, and then hope to get in a few miles before Saturday's 5k. I won't be racing, but will be pacing for the No Boundries class, very similar to C25K program.

Couple questions for ya, I have two goal races in the fall. A half on Sept 12, then a full on Oct 19. The full is primary goal, with the half being a tune up race(sort of), or secondary goal. I struggle with following a plan because my crazy shift work. I don't have a problem adjusting a plan, but trying to think outside the box a little.

Would you buy a 18 week custom marathon plan? Hoping for more structured around my work schedule.

18 week plan is $130, is this too much?

12 week is $100, this seems too short for a marathon, right?

From the Internet.

Hi guys! All recovered, first (short) workout post-half is in the books. Running as many miles as I can in June, racing a 5K on the 21st, and then marathon training starts July 6!

Mitch - I'd definitely consider it, especially in your situation if it can be designed to work well with your work schedule. How custom are we talking, is it a person who takes a bunch of information and then makes the plan just for you? In that case, I'd think it would be worth it.

hog4life

Lauren, yes. They are husband and wife with 40+ years between them. They are both very fast at short stuff, and very seasoned in the 26.2 and up distances. They both have completed Badwater a couple times each. Both are members of the Fleet Feet Racing team, she works at FF, not sure what he does. I know them and talk with them frequently,  so it might be more than just a written plan. You know from last year, that my schedule is crazy, and after explaining it to rhem, they think they can build something for me. I honestly think it will help instead of me always trying to flip flop days and then end up missing the miles. I have a few more questions for them, and then I'll decide. Oh, they do personal coaching too, but seems a bit too steep.

From the Internet.

That sounds great Mitch, I'd go for it! I don't think I fully appreciated how much it has helped me to have a coach directing my training until after my half, and I'm 100% trusting him to come up with my marathon plan too. I enjoy reading about training and understanding the different purposes of different workouts, but I likely would not have thought to do the workouts that I think set me up for success the most (namely, the many weeks of over-13.1 long runs with MP miles and looooong tempos at race pace) without his guidance.

erinr

I'll definitely be back with details, Meg!  We have some good trails around here (SE WI), and I know a few people who race 50 and 100 mile trail races.  But not a lot of trails to run on near my house.  So I'll be venturing out to find some trails to train on.  And starting to do hill repeats, which I'm not looking forward to Smile

Thanks for the tip, Mitch!  I'm easily distracted, so I'll have to make sure I keep my eyes on where I'm going!  I think my husband's a little afraid I'll get addicted and he'll end up a running widow while I'm off training for ultras Smile  I'm more of a half marathon girl though--much more manageable!