Half Marathon Trainers

Heat/Humidity: how to compensate? (Read 339 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

Long run today was tough. The temperature at 7:30 am was 76, 98% humidity - and a sticky, humid breeze from the south. I started sweating as I put my shoes on. The first miles were the worst miles. After about 5, the sun went behind some clouds for a few miles, and I felt OK - pretty good really. I noticed I wasn't dripping anymore, and briefly wondered if that could be a good thing? The sun beat me to death the final 2. I slowed to a snail's pace... had to walk a bit ... No The worst thing is the drips in the eyes; nothing I've tried helps with that. Any suggestions? I had to lay down afterward. For a while. It just seems like the heat beats me up sooo bad. [But, I've got a real nice tan going Big grin (don't hurt me)] I know I have a lot of nerve complaining of heat and humidity when some of you are freezin your ta-ta's off, but - remmeber: I'm a newbie. Shy And, I need all the help I can get. What can I do, besides move inside, to alleviate that beating?
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, my gosh! I don't know, move to Maine?? It's a good question - I had the "dripping" issue today when I ran 5 miles on a treadmill at the Y. Ychh! I'm glad it looks like I can run on Saturday when it's in the 20s!
      Ringmaster

Pray your half starts early! I've read posts by some northeners running the Ft Lauderdale half who want to know why the race starts at 6. Well, because you want to get as much of the race in before the sun comes up! Even in February, unless you get a well-timed cool front, it can be very hot by 7. A visor helps a little bit with the sweat in the eyes. And hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, the day before, especially. It's funny that you said today was an especially tough run. I know we're on opposite sides of the state, and I ran about two hours before you did, but I actually had to stop for water today, and I never do that on short runs. It was just really hot and humid today. Did you hydrate mid-run? By the time you hit 10 miles, it might not be a bad idea, especially in our climate. And remember, we always have July and August to look forward to! Tongue

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile

marflair

I refuse to run without a sweat band (I know it is so 80's) inside and a baseball cap outside. I've had enough episodes with burning in the eyes! Mary

Prince of Fatness

I have a couple of Halo headbands. They do a pretty good job keeping the sweat out of my eyes. I also were a cap to help shade my head. http://store.haloheadband.com/

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have a couple of Halo headbands. They do a pretty good job keeping the sweat out of my eyes. I also were a cap to help shade my head. http://store.haloheadband.com/
              Thanks for the link! I just ordered one. I almost died on the Y treadmill this morning! I'm running a 5k in Austin in April, so the headband will come in handy. Teresa

Beatin' on the Rock

I refuse to run without a sweat band (I know it is so 80's) inside and a baseball cap outside. I've had enough episodes with burning in the eyes! Mary
                I enjoyed the 80's Big grin You mean the terrycloth kind? I've tried a bandana, but it got soaked really fast. Caps are out; they trap the heat. I have an old Halo visor from beach volleyball, but it doesn't do enough. Maybe a new one will? What suks is you can't wear sunscreen on your upper face because of the drippage/stinging issue. Consequently, my krinkles are getting so well defined. Cool Norske's shouldn't live in the tropics... VixiDu - I miss you in Paradise! What are you going to do after your Half?
                Ringmaster

Hey, Sally, I was just wondering the same thing . . . what's next? Can't really run another half down here the Marathon of the Palm Beaches in December, and traveling for one is probably out . . . What are you doing after your half? You probably haven't started thinking about that yet . . . I know I wasn't thinking about it three weeks before my race . . . Maybe I'll catch you in Paradise on March 3? Wink I hope your training is going great . . .

Mile by Mile

Beatin' on the Rock

Actually, ... I am doing another Body for Life Challenge after this HM. It's too hot to continue much running for any distance here in the summer, and our fancy, newly remodeled local Y offers a summer discount for 3 month membership to get the locals to sign up after the snowbirds leave. Wink They have GREAT resistance machines, and my friend owns the Smoothie Cart! I love BFL, and many of the people I've met on the guestbook there - we've been friends for many years. One of my past virtual training partners actually won the Challenge. She's going to meet me at my HM! Resistance training works better for me. I'm sooo slow as a runner, but not when I do high intensity intervals! Yes I am looking forward to getting back to that. I plan to incorporate some of what I learned in the new book recommended in the cross training thread about "Strength vs. Cardio" entitled: "The New Rules of Strength Training for Women". I am getting psyched about my new goal already. Are you thinking of running the Grouper in Sarasota? If so, we MUST intorduce ourselves! Congrats again on your amazing HM performance... -s-
                    Ringmaster

LOL You changed your sign-off! I can relate to that feeling . . . I started getting nervous too. But I promise that the training WILL pay off! I've never ever done BFL. I guess I've heard of it but I don't really know what it is . . . Tell me more. I feel like I should be doing more strength training and I know for a fact that I can't do long distances in June, July, and August . . .actually, probably starting in April! I wish I could do Sarasota. I actually have family in Bradenton so it would be really easy for me. It's tempting, actually, if slightly insane . . . K

Mile by Mile

Beatin' on the Rock

Don't think of it as coersion, but... http://www.sarasotamarathon.com/expo.cfm Big grin C'mon, Vixie, you can WALK this and beat folks like me! Come out, enjoy the awesome party, artsy-fartsy T-shirt and amazing atmosphere. Your relatives in Bradenton miss you... Cool Modified to say: If you come, I'll have my friend BFL champion Diane tell you more about BFL than you ever wanted to know... Cool I'm hoping seeing her in person finally will inspire me to go for it.