Half Marathon Trainers

Training mileage this year/last year? (Read 413 times)

So far I am ahead by about 30 miles-but mostly because I had a cold then later a heel problem last January. On track for about 120 miles in February, which will be ok. How are you doing with keeping your resolutions?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

IMKY13 finish!!

Currently I am about 13 miles behind from last year...at this date last year I was at 155, and currently I am at 142. I am also 20 miles under my 2009 goal...but that's very easy to make up during the year. I am 20 miles under because I took one week off in January to recover from surgery. I am on track to get 116 miles for February to continue my 100+ mile months streak

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I'm probably a little behind where I was at this time last year, however that is by design. I decided to only train about three times a week right now and take things easy. I'm actually considering even training less throughout most of the year. Typically I train at least 5 days a week, but may cut back to 4 or so, but maybe increase mileage during some of my normal runs. Other than the two calf injuries, I had a really good year last year obtaining all of my goals except for my 10K which I never got to run due to my injury. So since I had PRs several times in the 5K and 5M and completed my HM, my goals are a little simpler this year. 1. (2) HM Iron Horse in June and Hogsback in Sept With a goal of <1:44 by the iron horse 2. 10k salisbury harvest fest in oct @ 46:30/7:30 pace. 3. enjoy my running a little bit more by not putting so much pressure on myself to perform (easy to say) and participate in some runs just for fun. (i'm planning a 5k in ft. lauderdale in march, just for fun) looking back at last year, even with missing 3 and a half months, i ran something like 1085 miles (that's even missing some entries) which far exceeded my previous 4 years of running. i am ahead though, that i got off the threadmill last weekend and got an outside run in. i don't think i had an outside run last year until march (i'll have to go and check that). added (2/12)it was 50 degrees last night so i ran outside again after work. that is two outside runs for me and looking back at last year, i didn't run outside until early march larry by="" the="" iron="" horse="" 2.="" 10k="" salisbury="" harvest="" fest="" in="" oct="" @="" 46:30/7:30="" pace.="" 3.="" enjoy="" my="" running="" a="" little="" bit="" more="" by="" not="" putting="" so="" much="" pressure="" on="" myself="" to="" perform="" (easy="" to="" say)="" and="" participate="" in="" some="" runs="" just="" for="" fun.="" (i'm="" planning="" a="" 5k="" in="" ft.="" lauderdale="" in="" march,="" just="" for="" fun)="" looking="" back="" at="" last="" year,="" even="" with="" missing="" 3="" and="" a="" half="" months,="" i="" ran="" something="" like="" 1085="" miles="" (that's="" even="" missing="" some="" entries)="" which="" far="" exceeded="" my="" previous="" 4="" years="" of="" running.="" i="" am="" ahead="" though,="" that="" i="" got="" off="" the="" threadmill="" last="" weekend="" and="" got="" an="" outside="" run="" in.="" i="" don't="" think="" i="" had="" an="" outside="" run="" last="" year="" until="" march="" (i'll="" have="" to="" go="" and="" check="" that).="" added="" (2/12)it="" was="" 50="" degrees="" last="" night="" so="" i="" ran="" outside="" again="" after="" work.="" that="" is="" two="" outside="" runs="" for="" me="" and="" looking="" back="" at="" last="" year,="" i="" didn't="" run="" outside="" until="" early="" march=""></1:44 by the iron horse 2. 10k salisbury harvest fest in oct @ 46:30/7:30 pace. 3. enjoy my running a little bit more by not putting so much pressure on myself to perform (easy to say) and participate in some runs just for fun. (i'm planning a 5k in ft. lauderdale in march, just for fun) looking back at last year, even with missing 3 and a half months, i ran something like 1085 miles (that's even missing some entries) which far exceeded my previous 4 years of running. i am ahead though, that i got off the threadmill last weekend and got an outside run in. i don't think i had an outside run last year until march (i'll have to go and check that). added (2/12)it was 50 degrees last night so i ran outside again after work. that is two outside runs for me and looking back at last year, i didn't run outside until early march larry>

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

I'm currently about 30 miles ahead of last year and in front of the 2000 mile pace bunny. So far so good.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, great job, Mr. PH! My running sucks right now. Cry

Prince of Fatness

Wow, great job, Mr. PH! My running sucks right now. Cry
              Thanks. I'm having some good and bad days with the shins, but I'm able to run with it. It's just annoying pain, nothing to even cause a limp. Are you injured or is life just getting in the way of your running?

Not at it at all. 

Jazz hands!

I didn't start logging until March last year Roll eyes when I ran 10 miles. Then in April I ran almost 30. I ran 80 in January, by comparison.
                run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                  2000 is much easier in metric distances, Mr.PH! Another great reason to adopt the metric system. Nice progress, Squeaky. (How do I get my log to show the last 7 and last 30 days as running totals? That seems quite a useful option.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Structural engineering design would sure be easier in the metric system! I can't believe that I have to deal with dimensions such as 81'-5 7/16". It's absurd. The transition would be difficult (how much is 3,000 psi in metric??), but we would love it once we got used to it. My running has suffered MAINLY due to lack of motivation, but also life and ankle twinges. I've decided to sign up for the Maine Half Marathon in October, though, so that will take care of the first problem! I'm planning on joining a 12-week training program at our Y that begins in July. It will meet three mornings a week at 7 am! It costs $85, which is actually good because I will have real dollars invested in it. Next week I'm taking DS16 on a college visit trip, so I'll have to figure out where to run. He'll need to run, also, so we'll figure it out.
                    anneb

Simon, I think you click customize from your training log and select the Stats: Rolling totals widget. Oh, and as to mileage this year, I am feeling good and am up a lot over last year. Last year was a little inconsistent, esp. in the first half. I am not racing anything longer until 5/23 (a 10 mile race) so I don't have much of a plan for now. Just to run. I am surprised how easy it is feeling to run *almost* every day. mta: I thought I had quoted but I guess I messed it up. Tongue

Anne

What school/s is DS looking at? Next week I'm taking DS16 on a college visit trip, so I'll have to figure out where to run. He'll need to run, also, so we'll figure it out.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, we're JUST starting, so we picked some schools to look kind of randomly. We're going to visit Union College, University of Rochester, Grove City (tiny Christian school in western PA that has very challenging academics), Susquehanna, and Bucknell. Approximately 1400 miles of driving - he will get a lot of good driving practice. He has interviews with coaches at Union, GC, and Susquehanna, and also an admissions interview (his first!) at Susquehanna. Do you have any thoughts about schools we should consider?? Today at the state indoor track meet I got to talk to several parents of runners who have been through this, and they gave me some great advice. They really recommended against going to a DI school, because it's so hard to do well academically when the running is so intense. Today DS's team won the 4x800 relay, and he came in 2nd in the mile and 3rd in the two-mile. His times were slow, so he was disappointed, but he qualified for the New England meet in all three events, so it really was a good day. His team won the overall indoor track title! It must be SO hard to run the mile and then turn around and do the two-mile, all after killing yourself in the 800! My friend and I ran 4 miles today OUTDOORS!! Whoo hoo, it felt so much better than the TM or the indoor track at the Y. I'm taking my running stuff so I can do some while we're gone. I just need to get consistent again. I keep wimping out on runs. At least my running partner is mostly recovered from her hip problem, so she is starting to run with me again. But like today, she was up to doing only 4 miles, so I stopped, too. I need to run some first and THEN start with her.
                            Hi Teresa, I seen that your son has looked at Grove City College, it's a very fine school. I'm about 35 miles away but my parents both grew up near there & I still have about 20 cousins in the area. We get over to the outlet shops there 2 or 3 times a year. Not many distractions in Grove City lots of Amish outside of town, not a party school... Good luck on the college search...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the info, Sarge! Yes, GC is a pretty strict school. I asked DS how he felt about that, and he said, "Mom, it would be so nice to run on a team where the kids aren't swearing all the time! The kids at my school swear ALL THE TIME!" We're excited about this school.
                                Teresa, A couple of thoughts for you and DS. First, don't buy all that crap about a D1 vs a D2 school. My son went to a D2 School his freshman year and a lot of his meets were with D1 schools. In fact one of his very first ones was at Penn State. There was just as much intensity in a small school. So DS really has to look at the coaches and their routines as well as the schools schedule of meets/travel etc. As for UCONN, that's my Alumnus as well as my sons. Great school, but it can be "VERY" intense academically or one can just kind of make it through. Great reputation with businesses and if one does well there, easy to get a good job. Not sure if he wants to follow your (our) footsteps and get into Engineering, but I will tell you that it's very tough to get into their school of engr and stay in it. As for their CC team, I have nothing good to say about it or the coach, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Congratualtions to DS for the indoor track success, let us know how the NEs go. Where are they going to be? I know what you mean about going from the mile to the 2 mile, but when my sons were in HS, they would do the 800, mile, 3200 and 5K all in the same meet. Youngest was smart and would focus on one or two events for states, but leaque championships would do all 4 and even picked up the 4X800 as well. Now most programs have dropped the 5K, in fact I don't know if anyone is doing the 5K in HS track anymore. Hey, I actually got outside three times tin 8 days to run. Was a tad chilly for me last Sunday, but I managed it. Doesn't look like the next week is going to be very good here though. Larry

LPH