Half Marathon Trainers

Getting a little nervous, only 7 weeks away (Read 279 times)

Did my first 10-miler last Saturday and had to have an easy week this week due to some inside shin splints that cropped up after last Saturday's run. Still have a little soreness but managed to get through two easy runs this week. I'm a little nervous about my shins being sore with only 7 weeks left to train. I wanted to get in at least one 13.1 mile run before the race on 10/12. Sad Sigh, going to the running store to get some new shoes. My Landreths are getitng a little hard and the Fortitudes I tried didn't work out too well.

Prince of Fatness

If you are shooting for sub 2 hour like your signature says then from what I see in your log you're running too fast, especially considering that you are increasing mileage. That's my guess. I ran just under 1:40 for a half earlier this year and your easy runs are faster than mine.

Not at it at all. 

IMKY13 finish!!

EGH...where abouts in Boston do you live? I grew up in Newton I'd like to go back there and run the "Bostons Run To Remember" half marathon some day. I wasn't a runner when I lived there.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I am doing my long runs at about 6:00 per kilometer, at least in this hotter weather, and am also aiming for a slightly faster time, though not as fast as Mr.PH! I have found I feel more beat up, including little aches and pains, on faster runs, so it might not be the shoes but the pace you are running. (Almost ended a sentence with a preposition..) Another factor is that your actual running motion may be changing slightly as you do more miles, so the shoes that originally suited you may not now. I am doing my race October 19th., starting to get nervous, my training seems to indicate the time goal I initially set at the beginning of the year is too ambitious, so I have backed off 3 minutes. I am sure you can break 2 hours, though, keep up the good work! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks all. It's soooo hard to slow down. It's just not comfortable to go slower than a 9:0 to 9:15 pace or so. At nthat pace, I'm not breathing that heavy - i could carry on a conversation. My tempos are usually ~ 8:30 or less. My 7.5 mile race pace was 7:47. BUT, I did get a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires and they feel much better. I was overpronating a little. Needed a bit more stability than pure neutrals. Two short runs so far and no issues. This week, I'll go all easy and lead up to a long run on the weekend. Paul, I'm in lovely Woburn, MA.

IMKY13 finish!!

Thanks all. It's soooo hard to slow down. It's just not comfortable to go slower than a 9:0 to 9:15 pace or so. At nthat pace, I'm not breathing that heavy - i could carry on a conversation. My tempos are usually ~ 8:30 or less. My 7.5 mile race pace was 7:47. BUT, I did get a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires and they feel much better. I was overpronating a little. Needed a bit more stability than pure neutrals. Two short runs so far and no issues. This week, I'll go all easy and lead up to a long run on the weekend. Paul, I'm in lovely Woburn, MA.
              Oh, yes...good ol' Woburn Good luck in your training!!! You'll do great at your half!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles