Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - April 2011 (Read 809 times)

Beginner all over again

I'm just starting my 28-week training for a Fall HM.

My goal is to Walk/Jog Just-Finish, so my training won't be as exciting as that of the competitor racers.

My Training Log is public - comments welcome

I'm started again from scratch, so mine will be a gradual build-up until Race Day.

How about you?

Smile

HappyFeat

Hi FrancesBig grin You are going to do great, I just know it!

I also have a Fall HM planned. My LR is 12 miles right now; so I know I can do it. I just need to work on speed.

My first goal however is to get consistent with my 30 mpw weeks, and then move up to 35 mpw.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well looks like Auckland HM in late Oct is my target so keeping on with my run every 2nd day schedule at the mo, no use burning myself out

Any suggestions welcome. Running about 30km a week will look to up it to 40 by May.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Beginner all over again

Happy -- Great job on your Long Runs.  I looked at your Training Log.  Very solid LR's you got on your graph. Great going!

Vino -- I used to run every other day too. I finished a HM and impressed myself with my time (compared to my training pace anyway)

Now that I am starting Again, I'm aiming to run 5 days a week all at Low♥HR so this is a New Training Way for me.

But I liked running every other day!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I haven't selected a target half for the fall yet but am starting to ramp up my training runs again after struggling with left calf issues since Dec. Finally got thru my thick brain that it was the hilly neighborhood I was running in every day. I just reviewed my log and see I was up to 9hrs/week in Dec then dropped off the rest of the month and most of Jan/Feb. There's a Zooma half marathon in April that I might still run just to finish. I can still run/walk for three hours, of that I'm sure but am not sure I'm mentally ready for no PB goal. My first half in 2009 was the Fort Worth Half, which is Nov 14th this year, and uses a very level course.

I'm not quite back to zero, but sometimes feel like it Frances. short term goal is to get back to 6-7hrs/week with 2+hr long run. If I can get there, and stay there thru the summer (gets hot in Austin), then I know I'll be ready for a fall half, no problem. Have to be careful not to ramp up to quickly, even with LHR approach, in order to avoid injury. 

Will be fun tracking progress! 

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Beginner all over again

. Have to be careful not to ramp up to quickly, even with LHR approach, in order to avoid injury. 

Will be fun tracking progress! 

Hi Bob,

I like your plans.

You seem to have a good base, and are watching your fitness levels.

I am hoping my Ramp-Up plan on LHR is enough to keep me off the bench and Not Injured.

I'm fortunate I'm not racing my HM, just paying the $$ and aiming to finish before the Course Closures.

Smile

Loves the outdoors

After my first HM in Feb, I'm training for my second in June. Mid-winter Wellington, if the weather is like last year it will be cold, very wet and windy. I run better in the cold, so I'm hoping the weather will help rather than hinder.  I'm consistently building up my runs and I feel stronger already. Hopefully I'll do a PB and not crash and burn at the end like I managed to in my first.  I'm hitting 7 hours running per week these days and that's the most I've ever run, but I'm still feeling fresh. So far so good, but there is a long way to go yet.

Vino - I suggest coming down to Wellington in June for a practice HM Big grin

Frances - Good to see you back! I don't think many of us here are competitive HM racers, I know I finished my first right near the back of the field. So I'm certainly interested in how you get on.

HappyFeat - 12 mile long runs already! You will kill the HM in the autumn.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

HappyFeat

Thanks for the positive feedback, Frances and NZRun. I'm happy with my progress and really hope I can better my HM time from last year at the same race.  Vino, I was only running every other day last summer leading up to the HM I did in September because of getting over bursitis. I "graduated" to running a few days in a row only a couple weeks or so before the HM. So I don't think that's a problem as long as some of your runs are long enough for you to build endurance.  I've heard that to improve your speed in a HM, the long run should really be 14 to 16. I'm not sure why; maybe it's a confidence thing. Or maybe if you can run 14 to 16 slow, that translates into running 13.1 "faster". So that's one of my goals. I plan to alternate every other week 10 miles, every other week longer. I'm also including some hilly routes and I'm getting better at them with repetition.

Recently I increased my Monday night run by one mile and  found that combined with my Wednesday night 8 miler with speedwork, I didn't want to run Thursday because of leg pains. So starting tonight I'm cutting back Tuesday and Thursday to 3 miles (from 4) and see if I can get the Thurs night run done this week. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll move my Rest Day from Friday to Thursday - which will make Saturday's LR a little more challenging, but it should still be doable. You wouldn't think adding ONE mile would have such an impact, but it has.

Loves the outdoors

HappyFeat - 14 to 16 miles is just not going to happen for me. It takes too long at my pace! At this stage I'm building up to running for just over 2 hours and hopefully that will help me improve anyway. Mind you I've given myself a pretty soft PB with my first attempt.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

HappyFeat

I know what you mean NZRun....my LR goal pace is 11:30 mpm and it does take a long time. Right now my Wednesday night 8-miler takes me an hour and a half. You are doing about 12 mpm I think, so only 6 minutes behind meWink. That's another reason I'm planning to start alternating weekends with a 10-miler and a longer one; so that I'm only out there "all day" every other week. With more mileage and a little speed work, I'm hoping to bring my time down - BUT it's important to run slow when you're building the distance. So - baby steps.

Sounds like everyone is making plans, and keeping up the good work- certainly got the April thread off to a quick start!

I have been bogged down doing extra hours at work so have not done a single run in a week.....I met someone a few days ago who has a streak of 21 years, running every day! The contrast is embarassing, but there we are.

I wanted to comment on the long runs- many people do them by time and don`t worry too much about the distance, it may not be necessary to go quite so far. Keep in mind I am no expert and just repeating what I have read elsewhere.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My goal right now is to get some consistency and commitment back. We're starting to possibly get decent weather and the snow should go. I'm planning to start a modified Hal Higdon training plan in mid-April for a 10K in June (see what I can do if I properly train for this race; it will be my third time running this specific race in June). The mileage from this training cycle should put me in good shape and good base for half training which I'll start in June. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Beginner all over again

I wanted to comment on the long runs- many people do them by time and don`t worry too much about the distance, it may not be necessary to go quite so far. Keep in mind I am no expert and just repeating what I have read elsewhere.

I did (and do) my Long Runs by time.

Well, all my runs are by time (not distance)

But it my LR by time served me well in my last (first) HM.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Vino - I suggest coming down to Wellington in June for a practice HM Big grin

June in Wellington?? I can imagine the chances of good weather are pretty slim!! I was there a couple of weeks ago. I am more interested in hiking near Wellington than running. I want to do the Southern Crossing sometime! That looks awesome! Have you done it nzrun?? Want to?? ;-)

At the mo I have pencilled in Auckland and considering Taupo, Huntly and Hamilton

I was naughty and skipped a run early in the week to watch my twins at the Club Athletics Champs. They got 1st and 2nd for both 800m and 1500m so very proud. Now it is cross country season. Anyway as a result I missed out on clocking up 100km for the month. Aim is 120-150km for April

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Congrats to your kids, Vino!

Meg, I am guessing spring has come to the Prairies by now, we still have a small amount on unmelted snow in shady places but the crocus have been up for a week or more. (I ask as you list gardening on your profile!)

Good news from my son- he has got a job. He will be part time until he finishes his Masters degree, then full time. A long commute by train as

he has jusrt signed a year lease on a new apartment, but he feels this is manageable.

No running to report, back at it today...

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.