Half Marathon Trainers

Welcome to 2013! January Thread! (Read 321 times)

8.25 yesterday at the park, even wore shorts, 2 mile recovery on the TM today.

Zelanie

Week 1 of my training plan is in the books!  It was more of a challenge than I thought it would be, but I'm learning how to follow a plan.  I've just been kind of making it up as I go along since my C25K days ended.  Highlights for the upcoming week- I get to see what 2:30 intervals at 80-90% of VO2 Max feel like.  I'm pretty sure I haven't tried to hold that pace for more than maybe 30 seconds before.  Wish me luck!

Snickers1230

On week 4 of my training plan.  I haven't really done much speed work since my half in December so I'm going to start back up with that tomorrow.  I was disappointed in that half (I know I was under trained though).  So hoping to see some better results next month.  I know it's just one week into the new year, but it's been good so far!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

vegefrog

You got that right Zelanie!! Oh I'm definitely going to be one of those ladies passing people with the jogging stroller Wink That's already in the works. I told my husband the quality of our jogging stroller was HIGH on the priority list...he was like, but after the safety rating of the carsseat right? HA.

So far I don't seem to be slowing down any...so maybe that will keep up for a while.

HF I'm said that I won't be doing my trail 50K this summer. I was looking forward to putting all of your wonderful tips to good use!!! I will just bank them for later Wink

Glad to see most of us are making progress- I ran only twice last week myself, for a total of about 17 miles.

But I have come up with a plan- instead of worrying about mileage I am going to set a goal of running 180 times for the year.

This is a modest 15 times per month, but slightly more than I have ever done before. My assumption was that if I got out and did the runs the distance would take care of itself- so this goal would make my training more consistent.

I did a spread sheet ( by spreading a sheet of paper and writing numbers on it- I'm old fashioned), for my last 5 years of monthly mileage against number of runs and sure enough, the mileages for the 5 years corresponded exactly to the number of runs.

More interesting, the average number of kilometers per run was also consistently higher as I increased the number of runs.

So that's my new deal for 2013- no more mileage goals, just run 15 times per month and everything will be fine!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Week 1 training in the books.  21 miles vs. 17 plan.  Started on repeats which will be good, given being stuck on the track in the winter.  Didn't get a long run in, but should be able to get in at least an 8 - 10 miler this week with warm weather coming.  Week Two started with an URD due to unplanned meeting at work.  All parts are feeling good, so far.  Need to start thinking about new shoes for the April 7 race.  Got to watch air fares too.  Ditto for DW, but she has no plan.

HappyFeat

HF I'm sad that I won't be doing my trail 50K this summer. I was looking forward to putting all of your wonderful tips to good use!!! I will just bank them for later Wink

I'm sure you realize that you don't need a trail race (or training for one) as a reason to go out an enjoy a trail run.Smile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

hog4life

Just a little update through week 4 of the Ryan Hall plan for me. For now, I just want to put up the weekly total miles, but I will do a bit more comprehensive report after I finish my half on Feb 17th.

Week 1 - 32.6

Week 2 - 29.9

Week 3 - 27

Week 4 - 38.5

I did the RH plan on my last HM too, and topped out at 32 miles for my highest week. With just the miles alone, I should have a much better half this time around.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Mitch, I'm using a derivative of the Hall plan with a little Higden mixed in, shortened appropriately for my 15K in March. The approach got me in under 2 hours in my first half back in November.

I don't do it quite as intensely as Hall might suggest, but I definitely get some quality workouts in every week. With rotating shifts and everyday life peeking in, my training plan is something on the order of organized chaos!

4 miles today, easy pace with a Moth finish.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Philliefan33

Just a quick check-in.  My HM isn't until the end of April, so I haven't started specifically training yet.  I'm just building my base miles with easy runs -- this week I'm shooting for 30 miles with a 9-10 mile LR.  6 miles planned for this afternoon.

I start my plan the first week of February.

Welcome, Jerry!

Tell us a little more about yourself.

Mitch and Philliefan, you guys are going to be well prepared, should be a good experience.

Sorry Tom, what is a "Moth" finish?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Sorry, borrowed "Moth" finish from a poster on RWOL.

It's basically sprinting, or kicking the last 0.1 mile or so of a run with the goal of improving the ability to kick on fatigued legs. Mike (Moth) on RWOL has used this technique over last summer's training and seems to have found it helps. I'm trying it myself on occasion. For lack of a better name (like, say, "kick"), I just refer to it as the Moth finish.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Snickers1230

That's similar to what I'm doing.  The Hall plan is my base and I'm doing some of the quality runs every week.  But I haven't done all of them yet.  I try to get 1-2 each week.  And then maybe for the fall I'll try to get in more of the quality workouts.

Mitch, I'm using a derivative of the Hall plan with a little Higden mixed in, shortened appropriately for my 15K in March. The approach got me in under 2 hours in my first half back in November.

I don't do it quite as intensely as Hall might suggest, but I definitely get some quality workouts in every week. With rotating shifts and everyday life peeking in, my training plan is something on the order of organized chaos!

4 miles today, easy pace with a Moth finish.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Welcome, Jerry!

Tell us a little more about yourself.

Mitch and Philliefan, you guys are going to be well prepared, should be a good experience.

Sorry Tom, what is a "Moth" finish?

Hi Simon:    I've been running for about 20 years due to heart disease in my family, and I had little kids at the time, so duh.  Running was maybe 10 miles a week for just me, and I walked a lot with DW.   We started to add a little running to get the HR up, and, voila, DW started doing the 3 mile runs. It escalated last summer into a few 5 and 10K's and when we kept adding miles, we decided to try a HM roadtrip.  Goal is to finish and we are not concerned about the time (yet).   It's been really good since I only work part-time and afternoon runs are perfect for running in our local forest preserve or on Lake Michigan, nearby.   We'll see how the HM goes, but I'd guess that future racing will be "selective".    It's also fun to virtually train with others on RA for their first HM this spring.   We've both lost weight (60 lbs for me) and we both feel really great and healthy.

hog4life

Tom, I don't think I can handle all of his prescribed workouts as they should be done either. For this cycle, I'm trying to do a sort of MLR(7-9) and putting 2-3 miles in there somewhere at a faster pace. I also use my hilly route for this run. I've kept all my notes from the last HM cycle when I used the same RH plan, and it will be interesting to see what the different results might be. I plan on trying to summarize everything when I'm done, but just not sure the best place to post it yet(maybe here).

On a side note, I'm trying to figure out if I can work in the 4 bridges HM along with the other fall stuff I'd like to do.