Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Nov 3 & 4 (Read 202 times)

an amazing likeness

Welcome to November!  Our calendar is getting a bit more sparse as the racing season starts to wind down a bit. Those running later in the season are rewarded with cooler temps and the added miles and hours of training...but adding blustery fall winds and weather to the mix. Always something to keep it interesting, I suppose.

Vegefrog continues her hot racing streak with a 10K, which happens to be a great distance to race in the middle of marathon training -- 10K is too long to fling all out like you might in a 5K and too short for easy pace in the opening miles. A 'super tempo' pace is called for...hard but sustainable.

I'll be heading over to the hills of western Maine for the inaugural running of a new half marathon. No idea what to expect, but I guess it will be a rolly-polly course and about 200 runners. Goal is to run it as a test of fitness after Oct's injury-laden low mileage before next weekend's larger half.

Nov 3 vegefrog James Island Connector 10K 10K Charleston, SC
    Nov 3 MilkTruck Moose Pond Half 13.1 mi Bridgton, ME

Wishing fleet feet, good luck and easy miles to all our trainers working towards the coming races!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Super Tempo! I love it!!! Trying to break 50...it's an out and back on a fairly steep bridge, but I think I can still do it @ 8 min miles...

We shall see Smile The weather will be PERFECT for racing, sunny and 45...so I will not have that as an excuse. Tons of beer afterwards and a band, this is my favorite race of the year!!!

Good luck in your half MT! I hope it gives you confidence going ahead for the next one!

an amazing likeness

Trying to break 50...it's an out and back on a fairly steep bridge, but I think I can still do it @ 8 min miles... 

Keeping in mind that you're in the middle of marathon training and don't want to get too sore or beat up...I hope you shoot for under 50.

Your last 3 5Ks have all been at 7:25 - 7:35 pace...so if you backed off 20 sec/mile from those paces or even 30 sec/mi on the uphill approaches to the bridge and 20/sec on the flat and downhill off the bridge -- you'll smoke 50:00min.

HappyFeat

Best of luck to the both of you in your races!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Your last 3 5Ks have all been at 7:25 - 7:35 pace...so if you backed off 20 sec/mile from those paces or even 30 sec/mi on the uphill approaches to the bridge and 20/sec on the flat and downhill off the bridge -- you'll smoke 50:00min.

That's the plan!!!!!

Lets see if I can execute Smile I really love the end of the course, you pass the park with all the band, beer and finishers and make sort of a loop? Everyone is cheering. I want to be able to KICK it into gear around there. I feel confident. I have a good playlist. I hope to have a good report tomorrow Smile

an amazing likeness

Yet another hill monster today.  Rolly-polly to start, then climbed steady from 5 - 7, then gave it all back 7 - 9, then up..down..up..down to the finish. Ran even effort for the most part. Did start to really feel it in the legs from 10 in, quads were cooked by all the downhill.  Splits show the story:

1 - 5:   7:49 | 8:02 | 7:48 | 8:00 | 8:03

5 - 10: 8:33 (climbing) | 7:34 (down) | 7:46 | 8:12 (climbing) | 7:53 (downhill, but trying to save legs)

10 - in: 8:07 | 7:49 | 8:06

Posted a 1:44:47 for 18th OA. (small field, under 200)

HappyFeat -- courses like this make me admire your trail racing even more...the hills completely ruin any hope of getting into a grove and just running. I find myself having to think all the time about how much effort to use, adjusting stride, focus on breathing...and all while going up and down, up and down.

Moose Pond Half elevation profile:

The name of the race is Moose Pond Half, and if you happen to have a moose running outfit...no better time to put it to use:

Thank goodness I finished ahead of the moose! Into the finish chute...notice the packed crowd...

For such a hilly course that's a great performance!

Hope your race went as planned VF!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

That's a great finish time, MT, and a very nice finish photo (you look so youngCool, can I say that?). Love that someone wore an actual moose costume and you got a picture of it! I'd never have imagined it. That course looks really challenging with those hills. 

You are so right about the challenge of trail races. I think that's why I have the recurring sideache....because I'm trying to "race." Today I ran a little over 12 miles on trail. It felt very strenuous and fast, yet my average was only 12 mpm! So I'm going a lot faster in the races and my breathing just can't keep up.  The ups and downs of the course, plus dodging rocks, roots, branches, mud puddles, little gullies, down logs, you-name-it, plus running faster than usual,  all add to the extra aerobic burden. (That little description will also give you a picture of my run today, except for the "running faster" part. Boy am I tired now!)  Today I just focused on footwork; but in the trail races it's all about managing my breathing while running as fast and safe as I can.

vegefrog

46:55!!!!!!

Felt GOOD! OMG! Felt easier then 5Ks!!

Totally told myself "Super tempo, just a super tempo" the last 2 hills Smile

Thanks Andy!!

TONS OF BEER! Such a fun race Smile

Didn't even place, all girls in my AG ran 44's! This race doesn't have that many people, but it's such a great time of year, nice part of Charleston that all fast runners come. Which makes it cool because you can schmooze and booze with with the racers!

I got invited to a speedwork group, that's sort of under the radar and unofficial...SWEET!

vegefrog

GREAT JOB MT!

That Moose looks crazy!

That hill @ mile 6...YIKES!

HappyFeat

Congratulations Vege!!!  Fantastic! Great job working your game plan - so proud of you!

I got invited to a speedwork group, that's sort of under the radar and unofficial...SWEET!

Wow. Congrats!! 

an amazing likeness

Wow! Way to go! That's really haulin' the mail. Clap! Clap! Clap!

Thanks Andy!!

TONS OF BEER! Such a fun race Smile

Didn't even place, all girls in my AG ran 44's! This race doesn't have that many people, but it's such a great time of year, nice part of Charleston that all fast runners come. Which makes it cool because you can schmooze and booze with with the racers!

Why the heck would are you thanking me??? You ran it, not me! Glad you had such a good day, and enjoyed the beer. Beer is good.