Half Marathon Trainers

July (Read 26 times)

90 minute run Friday - weather was nice very little humidity. short 2.5 mile run saturday.  90 minute run Sunday - very humid adn legs were heavy about halfway into it.  Have not done lnger runs so close together and had the lower HR so it was good practice.  went home and took and epsom salt bath as I was feeling a little stiff.  feel good today and hoping to get a couple of miles in at lunch.  Will probably be at the gy as we are under severe t-storm watches and that is why I did not go out this morning (although it is sunny right now) Today will tie my last attempt at a streak - 79 days...woohoo!

Meg - you can conquer those 10 milers..it is just a head game.  I play it alot.  Almost bailed on the long run Sunday because of my head telling me I was tired and couldn't do it.

Sounds like training is going good Ayola.

Cyber - I like that you search out  running spots on your trip.

Hog - nice work.  Sorry the Chron's acted up

Happy running week all.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

Thanks Barb, I'm kind of used to it, I suppose.

8.5 miles with 8x800's

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Had a 5 miler on the sched yesterday but was feeling awful, heat was getting to me, hesistant about a sore calf, so I ran a 2.35 miler. Today, I opted for a 4.5 easy instead of 4 miles of hill repeats. My calf feels almost back to normal and didn't want to push it. We're in a hot stretch right now and I'm struggling a bit through that. Maybe this is just where I need to work on mental toughness.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

Meg, make sure you hydrate well.

My shin/calf/knee is really bothering me after that 8.5 mile run on Tuesday. I am pretty sure I will be taking some time off to heal. I have an appointment with the ortho on next Friday, Aug 8. I wish I knew what was going on, but everything I do is only temporary, as the pain and discomfort just comes back a little worse. I am going to ditch the attempt at racing the Sept 20 half, and see how things go after the appointment. I will be making the trip no matter what, because it's my anniversary that weekend. If I'm well enough, I may just do a run/walk.....

I decided to take the morning off and I'm at the office early and no one is here, lazy summer... Spin class yesterday morning was great and I'm now pooped. I have time for a 30-40 minute brisk walk at lunch time. Tomorrow 6 miles - some bits at HM pace.

Barb - awesome running streak!

Meg - running in the heat is really tough, slowing down and hydrating are the best option. In September we will all be speedy!

Mitch - I hope resting a bit will heal the leg issues

Happy Thursday, A

Recalculating...

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry for being MIA but work was a bitch for three weeks or so.  Still is, but nothing like that.  I had a new bankruptcy case filed (think hamburger franchise) and it's been hours and hours of preparation and litigation.  And the case is only a month old, ugh.

Anyway, I didn't run much coming into the SF Marathon and in fact, fell ill the Sunday prior.  I thought I had kicked that thing out of the curb, but after I started feeling ill during the second half of the race, I DNFd at Mile 18 (close to the half marathon finish line).  My husband did the HM and he did great.  I am still sick and it looks like it's some sort of dengue-like virus (not necessarily dengue).  Yesterday was the first time I fell strong.  I have been going to the office and all but sleeping as soon as I get here.  Hoping to start training for Chicago on Monday so I am doing as much as I can to rest.

Pilates tonight.  I have not run and I am OK with that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redleaf

Hope you're better soon Damaris!

Glad to see everyone plugging away.

Soccer on Tuesday. Ran a tempo run yesterday morning. I think I did it a little fast but that's okay. Swimming last night. I have a short run on the schedule today - just time on my feet for 30-45 minutes. Intervals tomorrow and I signed up for a strength training class on Saturday instead of yoga (which will hopefully start next week)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Cyberic

Darn Damaris, don't you ever take time to rest?

redleaf. I decided today I'll start playing floor hockey again in September. I had to stop in April because of a groin pain, and wasn't sure if I'd be healthy again, ever (was taking so long to heal), but today I felt the groin after a weird move and realized I had not felt it in a few days, so it's pretty much healed.

Finished the month by running my usual 6 days/week in Spain. Pretty happy with that.

Zelanie

Wrapping up July mostly on track.  I took about a week and a half off of speedwork after my HM, and missed a couple runs in the same period (but on those days I did actually walk more miles than I would have run, and at a good pace, up and down hills).  On pace for weekly high mileage for the year.  Now is when marathon training is going to start feeling different than HM training, I think.  Hopefully I am up for it!

Barbs- Sounds like it was a good thing that you had your running to help you keep stress down this month!  Great job on the back-to-backs!  I feel like those do a lot for me to improve my fitness and ability to recover.

Hog- Tough decision, but it sounds like the right call.  Hope that your appointment goes well.

Meg- I agree, it's hard to tell the difference between needing to tough it out and develop toughness and your body telling you it needs a break.  That's a tough balance to find.  Hopefully the weather has settled down a bit up there.

Eric- You've done a great job keeping up with your running while you're in Spain!  Nice work!  I am further south than you are by quite a bit, but with the elevation it's not as hot.  But it is fairly humid, and the temperature doesn't go down at night.  So running in the morning might actually be the same temp as running mid-day.  In any case, it's not too hot to run in, although sometimes I do need to adjust my pace.

ayola- Good job with the Ryan Hall plan, and enjoy the garden!  I planted some carrots and tomatoes before I left, we will see if DH has been keeping them watered while I'm gone. Smile

D- Glad you're starting to feel better.

Redleaf- Wow, you sound super busy!

Ended the month with 116.5 miles - I can't remember the last time my monthly total was this hihg.  @ months in a row 100 miles or more.  Feeling good and strong.  A little tired after the 2 long runs in 3 days, but gotta get used to that SEpt half is coming quick.  Thsi past week weatehr has bee great in the early morning with no humididty, but it came back today.

Everyone is doing awesome.

Hog - I hope you find some answers soon..injury sucks!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

So here it is August, and I'm just getting around to July....good grief, am I embarrassed....I scanned through a few pages to catch up and hadn't realized how long I'd been away from our monthly updates.

What a hectic month July was outside of running -- lots of work travel, lots of visitors from out of town (who never seem to want to visit in February for some reason!), and elder care for my parents.  Mom, who is 83, fell and broke her arm/shoulder in mid-June, so has been unable to drive, cook, take care of Dad, etc. Days of driving back and forth before and after work, squeezing in runs adhoc.

I did manage to run every day in June & July for a mini-streak of 64 days. Lots of junk miles -- easy 60 minute runs most days, usually managing to get in an interval session each week and a race every other. Ran in a lot of rain storms, and our New England version of heat & humidity -- which is called "cold weather" for folks like Hog4Life.  Ran one 1/2 marathon (course was short); one 10K and  two 5-miler races in July.

Summer is rushing by, and already hints of late summer are appearing -- folks are getting their firewood delivered, and the town public works has started a new winter sand pile.  We've got a ways to go....so here's hoping time slows a bit in the dog days of August.

People joke about runners being 'obsessive' or what not, and I usually poo-poo the idea  when it's aimed at me. But a few weeks ago, they closed a bridge for repair which nearly all my various daily running routes cross.  I've been in a total funk with each run since trying to figure out new routes which work well. I miss my routine runs, my known distances! 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.