Half Marathon Trainers

Realistic Goal (Read 419 times)

Rundadrun27

The Race Predictor tool on this website predicts a finishing time for my HM in May to be 2:07:00. I'd like to finish sooner than that. Given my current training is a time of 1:55:00 realistic?
      I think you have to log alot of miles to get your time to that range....... Looking at your log, You can predict a good finish on total weekly mileage of 20+ miles per week..... Theres still alot of questions though: Hilly course? are you training on hills? You probably have to look at incorporating some sort of speed work also, at least a good tempo run at your race pace at some point..... Don't attempt this until your mileage reflects around 20 miles per week as a good solid base. My Husband and I ran our first half in September, ( I was injured and ran anyway) but if you want to view his log, he has some good runs in there if you scroll back to the months of July, August, and September..... He finished the Half in 1:57. Username: Cheffyshub Good Luck! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Rundadrun27

I think you have to log alot of miles to get your time to that range....... Looking at your log, You can predict a good finish on total weekly mileage of 20+ miles per week..... Theres still alot of questions though: Hilly course? are you training on hills?
        Hills? I'm live in the prairies. We have nothing that is classified as a hill. Most of my training so far has been done on Treadmills and on a Track. This is mainly due to the fact that running in -40C weather is not my idea of fun.

Right on Hereford...

The Race Predictor tool on this website predicts a finishing time for my HM in May to be 2:07:00. I'd like to finish sooner than that. Given my current training is a time of 1:55:00 realistic?
          Have you done any races recently? Racing a 5k all out (a real race, not a time trial on your own) will give you a much better idea of what you can expect in the half marathon. A 10k would be even better. Having said that, here is a simple plan for you. I'm going to go ahead and guarantee good results for you if you follow this... Big grin - Run at least every other day, no matter what - Run 4 miles minimum, every time you run - Do one long run of at least 7 miles each week - At least once every 10 days, do a 2-mile tempo run (you can do this as part of your long run if you wish) Notes: - All runs, except the tempos, should be done at an easy (i.e., conversational) pace - Tempo pace should feel "comfortably hard" but not as hard as 5k race pace
            Everyone is different, and responds to training at a different rate. As you are young you should adapt quicker than most. I find it helps to do a "time trial" every now and again to see how I am progressing towards my goal. Maybe also set a goal of 2 hours, and a stretch goal of 1:55. You could use a treadmill set at an incline to sub for hills, but mostly I would say keep gradually building up your miles. Good luck, let us know how its going.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rundadrun27

Thanks for the advice. I've been really trying to focus my training on not doing too much too soon. I plan on gradually increasing my miles in the weeks to come.
                When is your Half. I'd say 1:55 might be tough looking at your current training. That said, a few long runs at 10+ miles and consistent running will give you breakthroughs and anything is possible after that. My pace increased by a min/mile when my MPW went from about 20 in 2007 to 30 MPW in 2008, that improvement would get you to 1:55.
                Rundadrun27

When is your Half.
                  My Half is May 3rd.