Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - August (Read 605 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Matt, this drop in miles might just be a good recharge and you'll be back out there soon when life gets a bit less crazy!

HappyFeat, glad your 10 went better. I love days when my runs feel strong. Smile

Tomorrow, I have my first 11 miler on the training schedule and it's two weeks until race day. Eek! I'm starting to get some nerves about it. However, that said, I'm loving 5 mile runs right now, my long runs are going well and my three mile runs once a week make me impatient because I don't get into a flow on those at all. Here's hoping for a really good eleven tomorrow.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Good luck tomorrow Meg. Do you have another LR on schedule before the HM? Do you work up to 13 before the race or does that happen on race day?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've got an 11 this morning (12*C or 54*F and although it's not raining now, the sidewalks are wet). Next Sunday, it's a 12. Then raceday the Sunday after. I hope I'm alright on race day. Hell, I hope I'm alright today. It's not a nice day out there, but a good run would really help. I do trust my training. My last two long runs were really good so I'm trying to keep in mind that my training had be ready for those. I haven't had a really poor run in weeks.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hi everyone, I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly, but I am having trouble logging in and replying- it

asks me if I want to join the group.

Anyway, glad to hear training is going well for you, Meg, I am sure you will have a great race!

Like Sean, I am doing very little myself, but expecting to put up some numbers in September when things are more settled and the weather cooler. My son is moving away to university tomorrowwhich means it will be a bit quiet around the house, but a lot tidier, and I should have more free time.

Vino, lots of years of fast running left at 40, but the 40-44 and 45-49 age groups are very tough and competitive, at least in the Toronto area!

Best wishes to everyone.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi there,

I'd like to join.    I've run a 1/2 in 2008 and 1/2 in 2009 and this year maybe 2 1/2's Oct 9th and Oct 31st.  (still undecided about the 31st).   I thought this year I would move into triathlons however took on a new job and just can't get the swimming and biking in with the travel I do so I'm really looking to improve my time on my 1/2.    I just ran a 10K for the first time and my time was yuk, had hoped for better.   I am a BAD racer.  Some of my training runs are faster than I do in competition.  All the people passing me just takes the wind out of my sails versus my just going out by myself and enjoying the run.  weird - eh, why even race you ask! 

Anyway, you can check out my log, I'd like to add in some speed work.   I'm on a trip now and don't know the area so will be treadmilling it at the marriot here.   I usually do the hill program, think I'll try doing it at a faster speed than my usual as a semi-speed work out. 

What do you do to improve your times?  I feel as though I run and run yet don't get any faster.  (not meant to whine here, this is just a fact).

Samantha

Hey Matt and everyone else. For some strange reason, I'm been having trouble posting lately as well. I know I keep getting messages to upgrade my Explorer, but since this is a work laptop, I can't do that. I've had issues on other web sites as well. Matt Good luck with the move. Can be quite taxing on the nerves and body, so take care of yourself. As for me. I continue to be on the road to recovery. Still not doing any real long runs, but have finally hit the 6-6.5 mile range. I hit almost 30 miles this week. On top of increasing miles, I've had some really good runs, you know the type that when you finish them you should be exhausted, but instead you're pumped up and ready to go for more. I'm still not planning any races at the moment, I'm running for me and my well being. My birthday is Friday and I have the day off, so I'm planning an 8-8.5 M run for my Birthday.

Larry - great to hear from you. Keep on trucking mate you will get back! 57 is the new 21... I'm sure of it!

On the non-running front. The move is on. We'll be leaving Texas in the next few months. It's going to get busy!

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

testing - just wrote a long note and it doesn't appear to have posted.  

Hi Sam, pleased to meet you!

Not sure I can answer your question about how to run faster- (if only there were an easy answer to that one!)- but a few questions occur to me that may help you discover a solution.

1) Your log shows you used to more cross-training, was this the case back in 2008 when you set your PB for the half?

2) Your pace at 10k and the half are about the same-why?

3) Your long runs seem not very long, and you don`t seem to be doing any speedwork- are you following a half marathon training plan or just running for fitness at this point?

I hope this will prompt other replies, some of which may be more helpful.....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi Sam and hope your travel is going well. The secret to running faster is! Well, if we all knew what it was, we'd all be winning races. We'd like to think it's all about hard work etc, but that is not always the case. Some people were meant to be fast, some of us fall into that medium role and others just weren't blessed with the gift of speed. So I took a look at your log as well as reading your posting. I don't pretend to be an expert and have had my own issues this year. One of the things I don't really see in your log is much speed work. I think I saw one fartlek in the last month, no track work, intervals etc. Your mileage is good and you've got a good base. So three things that I'd recommend: 1: Some Strength training for core and legs 2. Get to a track and run some intervals, maybe starting with 400s and then 800s. If you would like some suggestions for running intervals on the track, drop me a note and I'll give you some recommendations 3: Add in some 100M sprints to teach your muscles what fast running is all about. It should open your gait up a bit. As for your comment about your race times being slower than some of your training times! That's a mental thing. You've got to learn to get it out of your mind about so many people passing you in a race. Find your pace and run your pace and don't try to play catch up or keep up with better runners, it'll only burn you out. A lot easier said then done, but it is what you need to do. What we can't tell from your runs, is whether you're a strong starter and poor finisher, vice versa or one of these that is strong in the middle and fall apart at the end. Me, I tend to be a progressive runner, starting slower and picking up speed as I go along (well except for HMs). So how about some insight to that. By the way, I'm also a CT resident. Work in Windsor Locks and reside in Barkhamsted. Used to work in West Hartford and train alot in the MDC on Rte 4. Larry

Hi there,

I'd like to join.    I've run a 1/2 in 2008 and 1/2 in 2009 and this year maybe 2 1/2's Oct 9th and Oct 31st.  (still undecided about the 31st).   I thought this year I would move into triathlons however took on a new job and just can't get the swimming and biking in with the travel I do so I'm really looking to improve my time on my 1/2.    I just ran a 10K for the first time and my time was yuk, had hoped for better.   I am a BAD racer.  Some of my training runs are faster than I do in competition.  All the people passing me just takes the wind out of my sails versus my just going out by myself and enjoying the run.  weird - eh, why even race you ask! 

Anyway, you can check out my log, I'd like to add in some speed work.   I'm on a trip now and don't know the area so will be treadmilling it at the marriot here.   I usually do the hill program, think I'll try doing it at a faster speed than my usual as a semi-speed work out. 

What do you do to improve your times?  I feel as though I run and run yet don't get any faster.  (not meant to whine here, this is just a fact).

Samantha

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Beginner all over again

Great Run, HappyFeat

Nice to see you in here.

Hi Everyone

I took five weeks off - had a lot of Job overtime, double-time, fatigue, sleep-deprivation,  and family obligations

but

I've going to start back up with a couple 20-minute runs, and will build back up to my Training Plan

I run by Time, not distance.

I cap out my training by running every other day, and  my three training runs are

150 mintes

90 minutes,   and

60 minutes

If I run a 4th day during the week, it's another 60-minute

I usually train time not distance, and also under a certain HeartRate, not by Pace

So my pace and distance is always a-changing.

I am planning for it to take until Thanksgiving to reach the 2:30 hr mark as a LongRun so maybe I'll scout about for a HM to run in December. I'm pretty sure there are at least a few to choose from.

Happy Trails...

Beginner all over again

What do you do to improve your times?

The slower I train, the faster I race.

I think it has something to do with pace being faster at HeartRate in the 130s in the first place

Then I can get run even faster in races at HeartRates decades of

140s

150s

160s

170s

I had a good month from a mileage standpoint......114 miles in August.  Ran a CRAPPY HM in mid August, but then had a kick-ass race this weekend in Oregon.......maybe you have heard of the Hood to Coast relay?!?!? LOL.  AWESOME event and had a blast!!!

Looking forward to a solid September in prep for my last scheduled HM for this year in mid October.

I hope everyone's fall training and racing plans are coming along nicely.  Matt, hang in there.......Meg, good luck in your race......Simon "empty nester", it is time to kick it back up now that things will be quiet aroud the house.....

Samantha.....WELCOME!  As for running faster, my recommended formula is have a good solid base of miles and then you must work in strength and speed workouts.  For me, having one hill run each week and one hard tempo run per week has done wonders for my speed.  My hill run is about 7 miles long and has two hard hills.  My tempo run I try to do 4 miles at about 5K race pace....maybe a bit slower.  For me, that is about 1 to 1.5 minutes per mile faster than my average "easy" or long run training pace.  Good luck with you and your goals.....

Cheers everyone!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Last year I did track workouts on Thursdays with a crew from Fleet Feet, this year I haven't made it even once and now, I will be coaching my son's soccer team at the exact same time as the organized track runs.    I like the idea of some hill runs.  I travel once a week and I am trying to make the resulting hotel treadmill run a bit of a challenge by setting the speed faster than I would typically run outside.   

My races are predictable, go out fast and end up burning out before half way.    Last year's HM I had an upper respiratory infection and probably shouldn't have run it, had to take walk breaks after 6 months.   I also run really early in the morning and since most races aren't at 5:30 am, I get burnt out from the heat and sun as I'm not used to it. 

What kind of strength training - resistance?  weight lifting?  I anticipate doing quite a bit of biking soon.

Sam

HappyFeat

Great Run, HappyFeat

Nice to see you in here.

Hi Everyone

I took five weeks off - had a lot of Job overtime, double-time, fatigue, sleep-deprivation,  and family obligations

but

I've going to start back up with a couple 20-minute runs, and will build back up to my Training Plan

I run by Time, not distance.

I cap out my training by running every other day, and  my three training runs are

150 mintes

90 minutes,   and

60 minutes

If I run a 4th day during the week, it's another 60-minute

I usually train time not distance, and also under a certain HeartRate, not by Pace

So my pace and distance is always a-changing.

I am planning for it to take until Thanksgiving to reach the 2:30 hr mark as a LongRun so maybe I'll scout about for a HM to run in December. I'm pretty sure there are at least a few to choose from.

Happy Trails...

FrancesBig grin Hey!  Hope you are back on track in no time. I'm having to run every other day and at a slow pace, to boot (where did that saying come from??)  because of this bursitis issue I've got. I might play with your three training runs "by time" and see how they translate into miles for me. I've entered a HM for Sept 26. (yikes!) to give me some focus. This every other day routine is hard on me.Sad I don't like it.  This month I broke the 100 mile mark - HURRAY! - after a 2-month hiatus on that. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.